Possibly nothing, but perhaps Orange UK are getting ready for the new iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VulchR, Oct 1, 2011.

1. VulchR, Oct 1, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2011

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I was on the Orange UK web site today to see if they had a page for pre-ordering the iPhone. I went to the iPhone page, then to the appropriate page for logging in to upgrade. I got the following message:

sorry
    The service is under maintenance from 01/10/2011 13:25 to 01/10/2011 23:30. Please try again later.​

Perhaps this is routine. Perhaps it is the new iPhones - hopefully Orange are getting ready for orderly online pre-ordering (pardon the pun) for their current customers rather than free-for-all scrums outside their stores. If this is simply routine, is anybody who works at Orange UK willing to let us know this is a false alarm?

2. trims macrumors regular

Wishful thinking. I've tried to log in a couple of times over the past few months and the site is not infrequently down. Nothing to do with iPhones. Just a poor site.

While we're on - has anyone used an Orange Dolphin PAYG SIM in an old 3GS? (Planning to migrate the old phone for the missus, which she'll use mainly as an iPod)

3. trims macrumors regular

Orange UK web site is down all day today as well. I think its just rubbish. :(

4. vebs macrumors regular

Of course they are getting ready for the new iPhone, along with every other network that carries it. :confused:

5. trims macrumors regular

Its not necessary to shut a web site for two days just to alter a few pages.

Orange UK seem to operate their iPhone pages as a kind of micro-site within their main web site so it should be even easier for them just to switch over on Tuesday. :)

6. VulchR thread starter macrumors 68020

VulchR

The iPhone upgrade page is still offline – my guess is that this is British IT incompetence rather than a prelude to iPhone 4S/5 pre-ordering. Pity.

7. kmanmx macrumors 6502

This...

Anyone remember O2's site last launch ? They claimed to of temporarily increased capacity by 200x what is normal. You couldn't tell, was like accessing a site on 56k internet.:rolleyes:

8. trims macrumors regular

Good point.