Possibly stupid question: 2.5" HDD in 2008 20" iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iMpathetic, Feb 15, 2011.

1. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

The hard drive in my iMac is, sadly, dying. I do have a 160GB laptop drive just sitting on my desk and working fine, however. While I know that it will WORK in the iMac, I was wondering how ghetto it would be to actually put the computer back together with the drive in it.

I've seen some pics of where the drive is, but it's hard to see what holds it in place and how much wiggle room there is. I could just use electrical tape....

Thanks for any input!

2. flipster macrumors 6502a

I might be wrong, so someone correct me on this if i am, but i think iMacs use a 3.5" drive. So your best bet is to probably get a western digital black cavilar 1 tb drive. (best known to be quieter than most drivers, although my seagate is silent).

3. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Oh, sorry. I meant to put this in the original post: I do know that the 3.5 drive is what's SUPPOSED to go in the iMac. It's just that I would have to buy a new hard drive when I've got a perfectly good one sitting right here!

4. excommie macrumors regular

You would need a drive caddy/bracket to convert 2.5 sata drive (assuming it's sata) to 3.5 sata. Not worth the $$$. 1TB drives are selling for $40.00 on ebay (I'm selling 2 myself). That's the better option. You can also boot from external (assuming you have a FW800 enclosure, USB enclosure will work but will be slow). FW800 boot drive will perform similarly to your internal drive, especially if you go with a fast drive like WD black.

5. flipster macrumors 6502a

Don't put some old drive that's not suppose to be in a computer (especially an all in one computer) in a computer lol. Spend the $80 on a new, nice drive and make it last.

6. biggd macrumors 6502

biggd

You could do it!
    It's ghetto and ******, i suppose with double sided tape maybe it could work. Remember that laptop harddrives run slower then PC