Possibly travelling to usa

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ParagJain, Aug 18, 2011.

1. ParagJain macrumors 6502

Wanted to check what are good data plans that i can use in iPhone.
    I know all the deal about micro sim and etc, in India; when we didn't have microsim, we just cut the sim to fit like a microsim.

Can i do that in usa as well ? Also, is there a way the service provide would know that i am using the data services in iPhone and/or other devices ?

2. twitt3r macrumors 6502

'fraid not, the sim cards in the USA are different, and cannot be cut down like that. You will need to go an buy a PAYG sim while you are over there.

3. ParagJain thread starter macrumors 6502

That's cool, but PAYG sims, i have read are not in micro sim format or are they available? If that's there..then, all good..

4. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

You can just cut down the sim. The person that said you can't cut them down in the US is wrong. All the sims in the world are the same and can easily be cut down.

5. ParagJain thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats cool too..but the real question here is..

Are in usa, microsim data plan PAYG available that i can use it in iphone 4?
    my phone is factory unlocked from oz land...and i don't want it to be locked as well. i am there just for 2-3 weeks...

or how about wifi access points? i am happy to use that as well and not get into simcard at all.

6. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

If iPhone is factory unlocked it will remain unlocked forever no matter what. There are PAYG availible that will work with iPhone 4, just make sure you sign up with AT&T as they are the best carrier for GSM iPhone. There is lots of free wifi in america (coffee shop, restaurent etc.) and in hotel there will be wifi also.

7. ParagJain thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, many thanks. should be fun.

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

You won't have any trouble cutting down a SIM in the US. Your choices as far as GSM carriers go are between AT&T and T-Mobile, AT&T is the only one that supports 3G data on the iPhone but they don't officially allow you to use the iPhone on prepaid with data. Or at least that's what the AT&T rep I talked to told me. I think a bit of searching on google will let you find ways around that restriction though.

9. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

Yes, AT&T has the new Micro-SIM in a PAYG format, they call it GoPhone. While the iPhone is not supported on a GoPhone account as others have indicated, it does work and many use it.

You also have the option to trim down a standard AT&T GoPhone Mini-SIM just like you mentioned in your initial post.

Here is a link where you can look at the different choices:

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-plans/pyg-cell-phone-plans.jsp

You can add / refill your account using a couple of methods including Pay As You Go refill cards at AT&T wireless stores or at any one of more than 200,000 authorized retail locations.

Dave

10. ParagJain thread starter macrumors 6502

More thanks to all; :)