Possibly water damaged lens, worth buying?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by rusty2192, Sep 29, 2010.

1. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

I just saw this ad on my local craigslist:

"Here's an almost brand new Canon 50mm F1.8 This lens was purchased, barely used, and then was run through the washing machine. The auto-focus still works, none of the internal electronics seem to be damaged. The only issue is the glass has all sorts of lint and what not on it. "

He is asking $20. Do you think it is worth that and take the risk? I know you can usually find these used in good shape for around $100. How hard would it be to use a lens cleaning kit to remove the lint (if possible).

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. rusty2192 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's been a while since I've looked for thus lens. I'd forgotten that you could get it new for that cheap. I've never cleaned a lens before, and don't even have any kind of equipment to do it yet. So maybe I'll just hold off and keep an eye on the ad. If it's still there in a couple weeks I can offer him like $10 and then I could easily justify the risk.

4. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

The "whatnot" might easily include mildew, which cannot be removed. Even if that hasn't occurred there is a good chance that the oil has washed out which will cause the aperture mechanism to seize. I'd say it only has value as a paperweight. If it were an expensive lens to begin with, it would be worth repairing.

5. spice weasel macrumors 65816

How the hell do you run a lens through the washing machine? I know the 50mm prime isn't that large, but it's not exactly the sort of thing you stuff in your pocket to carry around with you.

6. ipodtoucher macrumors 68000

ipodtoucher

Definitely not worth buying, you can easily buy this on the cheap somewhere else. It's not worth taking the chance of buying this lens and it not working...

7. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Offer

Offer him $10 bucks and if he accepts, do it. Then buy the lens NEW on amazon for under $100.

Then if anything goes wrong with your new lens, you can maybe attempt to fix it using components of the old broken one. Or at least dissect it to learn about the inner workings, just for fun and thought!

BTW How on earth do you run a lens in the washing machine???? I have only attempted to put a lens in my pocket once, and it was the 50 f/1.8, and it barely fit and made it almost impossible to walk!

????

8. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

I would stay far away. Beyond water damage, that thing took a beating during the wash cycles.

9. ComputersaysNo macrumors 6502

ComputersaysNo

Mildew can jump to your other lenses too, no ****.

10. rusty2192 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok, sounds like i should probably just stay as far away as possible. I was kind of wondering how it could go through the washer as well. crazy.