Possibly water in screen?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tfwarren, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Tfwarren macrumors newbie

Tfwarren

Hi guys, not sure if this is the right pace to post but worth a try! I woke up this morning and opened my MacBook Pro and I noticed it looks like it might have got water in it in the bottom left corner of the display. I have attached some photos of it. Is this water damage and is there anyway to get the water out? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Unless you know that there was water damage prior I highly doubt it is water. The displays on the MacBook Pros are relatively sealed units so unless that corner had spill damage, I would guess that the internal LCD is fusing away from the glass, potentially due to heat. Does applying pressure disperse the area?

3. Tfwarren thread starter macrumors newbie

Tfwarren

It doesn't, no. I can't think of any situations where it's been close to any heat sources, it's winter in New Zealand at the moment so if anything it's colder than usual!

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

The liquid crystal used in LCD displays are not actually liquid, but can appear that way when the screen is damaged.

Looks like something poked your screen too hard, or something was between the screen and the keyboard when you closed it and damaged your screen.

There's no water in there.

5. Tfwarren thread starter macrumors newbie

Tfwarren

Thanks for the reply, is there anyway to fix it or is the screen buggered and I'll need to get it replaced? It's actually started changing chase and got bigger, and it now has streaky parallel line in some places of it

6. Tfwarren thread starter macrumors newbie

Tfwarren

It does actually seem to disperse when i push on it slighty now. The affected area also seems a fair bit dimmer than the rest of the screen.

Attached Files:

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

8. chipchen macrumors 6502

I'm inclined to agree with Darth.Titan. I think it's possible there was an object of some sort when you closed your laptop and put pressure on the glass. Not enough to crack it, but enough to make some sort of damage.

Can you take pics of the casing from the side closed? I'm just curious.

I'd bring it into an Apple Store if that's possible... but without seeing it in person, I don't think there's much a better guess than those above.

9. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Unfortunately the LCD screens is pretty much a sealed part. There is no repairing it, just replacing it.