(Possibly) Weird Apple Pay thing happened. Is this normal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mattoruu, Oct 25, 2014.

1. mattoruu macrumors newbie

Hello,

So, summary of the events:

My gym did some renovations this week and they have a bunch of new, internet-connected, iOS-app compatible machines.

I noticed that there is a little NFC icon on the top of the machine and I thought that maybe the exercise machine and the iPhone exercise app (which I had just downloaded) had some special NFC connectivity.

I haven't had the opportunity to use the NFC in my new iPhone 6 yet since I live in Japan (Apple Pay isn't supported here yet, at least not officially). So I put my brand new iPhone 6 up to the icon to see what would happen. Immediately my iPhone opens up Apple Pay, my US credit card that I added appeared on the screen, and it told me "Scan your fingerprint to pay with Apple Pay" (or whatever the exact quote is, I forget).

At this point I'm thinking to myself "Hmmm... pay what? This isn't a NFC payment terminal at a store. It's an indoor exercise bike."

I didn't scan my finger. It's possible (or very probably) that nothing would have happened, but I didn't want to take that chance. I've been an iPhone-only user since the 3GS. This is my first experience using NFC tech, so I have no idea if this is normal or not. Was that suppose to happen? Does any and every NFC terminal (even if it's on an exercise bike) open up Apple Pay?

Thank you in advance for you help.

(Incidentally, after talking to the trainer at the gym, apparently the exercise machine and its iOS App do not support NFC connectivity yet.)

2. Sprintina macrumors member

Other devices like the Samsung Sx series phones have had NFC for awhile and you can buy and program NFC "tags" to basically run a macro of commands on the phone. So am thinking that the exercise machine must interface with some Android health/exercise app where placing the phone by the terminal/tag, starts the app and initiates some sort of data transfer between the machine and the user's phone to maybe record reps (for weight machine) or mph & # steps (for treadmill), and/or maybe can interface with an add-on cuff to measure the heart rate, etc).

Apple's NFC is tied only to Apple Pay (and no other function yet), so that is what ended up being triggered in the vicinity of that terminal/tag.