Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Navintar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2006
California
How does the update fix the problem for those of you whose usage
reading didn't show up and the battery icon didn't charge up to full or glow?

Count me as one who got this issue completely fixed. I left my iphone in the dock connecting to my imac last night. I am able to get a usage reading after seeing my battery icon glow for the first time! :)

I just wish apple also fix the nagging message issue as well. I haven't tested this yet however.

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
The updated helped me out! Instead of sitting at near full and showing that it's charging for hours and hours, it now goes to full much quicker, the lightning bolt changes to a plug and stats reset.

Also, I could never get a full charge if I left my phone connected to the wifi at home. Even if left plugged in overnight with the battery already almost full. Tonight I'm gonna turn on the wifi and see what happens. Will it charge all the way or will it still sit at 95% all night? I'll report back in the morning.

sblasl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2004
Heber Springs, AR
I had the battery & usage stats problem from the very first day i bought my iPhone way back on June 29th. I called Apple the following Tuesday to report the problem, they gave me the option of sending the iPhone back, go to the closest Apple store (150 miles away in Memphis, TN), or wait to see if it could be resolved with an update.

I decided that I would wait to see if an update would resolve the problem.

The update has corrected all issues regarding the battery and the usage stats.

I was thinking that I would exchange my iPhone at the Apple store to resolve the battery/stats issues as well as reading about issues with version "5" vs version "7" models.

I really don't think I need to do an exchange, people are all in a hissy about needing to get the version "7" because the version "5" has dots. I was perfectly happy and everything was okay with my iPhone except for the battery/stats issues.

People in many cases don't even have problems until they come to these forums and then the next thing you know the world is coming to an end because they now have a perceived "problem" and then the next thing you know they have now exchanged the product 3 times in an attempt to get the "perfect" product.

I'm happy with my iPhone, Apple has resolved the problems. Yes, there is the "dream" features we would all like to have but we all knew at the time of purchase what the iPhone could & could not do.;)

iRabbit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2007
Long Island, NY
The update has corrected all issues regarding the battery and the usage stats.

Did you restore or reset or anything?

I did do the update and I still am not getting a full charge (glow) or usage stats. My battery life is great, but I still seem to have the glitch.

Canuck4

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
No doubt, theres way too much crying about minor little things like that around here.
Some people are impossible to please.
I wonder if they try to replace/exchange their computers every time Internet Explorer crashes or their PC freezes up. :D

People in many cases don't even have problems until they come to these forums and then the next thing you know the world is coming to an end because they now have a perceived "problem" and then the next thing you know they have now exchanged the product 3 times in an attempt to get the "perfect" product.

I'm happy with my iPhone, Apple has resolved the problems. Yes, there is the "dream" features we would all like to have but we all knew at the time of purchase what the iPhone could & could not do.;)

sblasl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2004
Heber Springs, AR
Did you restore or reset or anything?

I did do the update and I still am not getting a full charge (glow) or usage stats. My battery life is great, but I still seem to have the glitch.

I turned my iPhone off last night and plugged it into the wall charger to give it a good charge overnight. When I tuned it on this morning my battery was indicating a compete charge and I was now seeing the Usage Stats.

himansk

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2006
i had to do a restore and update (due to the use of ifuntastic) and now the battery indicator shows full charge :D

Navintar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2006
California
My iPhone was perfectly fine except the usage stat problem as well. I went to an apple store and was told to either exchange for a new one and not knowing that the same issue would appear again or wait until the update. I just don't like the idea of going through all the iPhone stocks at apple store in searching for a "perfect" one. It's just a waste of time and resources. Since my iphone was working fine, so I opted to wait.

And yes with this update the problem has been completely fixed. I didn't even have to restore or reset the device and the battery was shown to be fully charged after about 4-5 hours of sitting in the dock. My usage reading seems great too. I got 3 hours of usage and 18 hours of stand by time as the battery is about half way through. My screen is bright and clear with no dots. It's series 5.

I do feel bad for those with less patient who had to go through all the hassle. You could have waited...

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Update:

For the first time since I bought my phone back in june, I was able to get a full charge with wifi turned on and connected to my router! Excellent! Before I had to turn it off (the wifi) if I wanted it show full charge and reset the stats.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I now get a full green battery as well. My usage stats worked, and even the little icon in the corner showed the plug, but now I finally get a full green battery! Yea!

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
I was thinking that I would exchange my iPhone at the Apple store to resolve the battery/stats issues as well as reading about issues with version "5" vs version "7" models.

I really don't think I need to do an exchange, people are all in a hissy about needing to get the version "7" because the version "5" has dots. I was perfectly happy and everything was okay with my iPhone except for the battery/stats issues.

I think it is the other way around. Version '5' phones are normal, version '7' shows the white dots.

- James

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
My battery still does not show full charge even after the update and then a restore.

AirmanPika

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
Vandenberg AFB, CA
You guys do realize that there never was an issue with the phone being charged to 100% yes? The issue was a UI glitch that didn't show the battery at 100%. If you went in the settings area you'd see it was 100%.

n00basaur

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2007
mine charges to full now and gets the plug in the upper right corner but the battery doesnt glow. It's interesting that the manual doesnt say anything about a glow yet other sources do.

Chris Grande

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Mine is exactly the same, I get the plug in the top right corner but the large battery never goes to the end. I also have never gotten any usage stats.

mine charges to full now and gets the plug in the upper right corner but the battery doesnt glow. It's interesting that the manual doesnt say anything about a glow yet other sources do.

Justin205

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
Tuscaloosa, AL (Roll Tide!)
My battery icon has always changed to a plug after it was done charging, but there would be a little sliver that would never fill up on the large battery. Seems the update fixed that...although it doesn't glow.

Navintar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2006
California
My battery icon has always changed to a plug after it was done charging, but there would be a little sliver that would never fill up on the large battery. Seems the update fixed that...although it doesn't glow.

I'm not sure if I actually got the "glow" everyone mentioned, but I'm certain that the green bar filled up the battery icon as in the picture.

battery%20screen%20icon2.jpg

This one is not fully charged

battery%20screen%20icon3(1).jpg

The green bar fills up the battery icon entirely, plus an extra glow. But I haven't noticed the glow on mine.

The important thing, though, is to get usage stats so we know how our battery performs.

gceo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2007
San Diego, CA
Before update, no glow, never full charge, and most times never got the plugged in icon.

Post Update, full charge, glow, and plug icon. (2 for 2 so far)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.