Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
not fond of all the glass everywhere :s
looks like Windows's Aero

Have you seen it in motion? It's definitely NOT like aero at all. It is quite subdued in real life. After a few hours you've forgotten about it's "newness". It's just Mac as you've always known it, just a little more modern.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
So the translucency doesn't seem to work in full screen. I'm not sure what to think about the look of this. It's a really weird cross between iOS and previous OS X. I wish the apps looked like the ones on iCloud.com. Yosemite feels like a person's mockup from deviantart. I would have liked them to go all the way and make it the same look as iOS 7. Oh well.

Changing the stock wallpaper really tones down the ugly however.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Thanks. So no real changes there, except that App icons are removed in Mission Control, and that Dashboard appear to be missing? :( Such a pity, I use it every day..
The app icons are already not there in Mountain Lion and Mavericks when you don't let the windows be grouped by application (which also seems to be the case in the Yosemite screenshot). And Dashboard will apparently be replaced by the widgets in the Notification Center.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
The app icons are already not there in Mountain Lion and Mavericks when you don't let the windows be grouped by application (which also seems to be the case in the Yosemite screenshot).
Ah, did not know that!
And Dashboard will apparently be replaced by the widgets in the Notification Center.
I will hold my judgement on this change for when I actually try Yosemite.. I can only be negatively surprised i assume, as I use a lot of widgets and don't look forward to cramming them into such a small area as the notification center currently is. ;)

SarcasticJoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Finland
Anyone (with the developer preview installed) mind opening up OpenGL Extensions Viewer and taking a screenshot of the "OpenGL"-tab?

kwokaaron

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
London, UK
Seems like a lot of the icons in Yosemite needs working on eg. System Preference pane icons and the hard drive icons. Not really consistent with the whole design philosophy they have now.

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2012
Ah, did not know that!

I will hold my judgement on this change for when I actually try Yosemite.. I can only be negatively surprised i assume, as I use a lot of widgets and don't look forward to cramming them into such a small area as the notification center currently is. ;)

Dashboard is still there! It's just turned off by default. In System Preferences > Mission Control, there is an entry for Dashboard, and the options are Show as a Space, Overlay, or Off.

I can't do a screenshot right now though, I just saw it last night when I was playing around with it.

Jyby

Suspended
May 31, 2011
Take screenshots of the utility folder! Anything new in there?

How is chess?

Antoni Nygaard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2009
Denmark
They still have this old iPhoto icon somewhere in the system.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-03 at 15.48.56.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-03 at 15.48.56.png
    355.3 KB · Views: 627

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Dashboard is still there! It's just turned off by default. In System Preferences > Mission Control, there is an entry for Dashboard, and the options are Show as a Space, Overlay, or Off.
Ah, so it's not quite dead yet. But I guess that it's disabled by default while the Notification Center seems to be supposed to supplant its functionality can be taken as a sign that it will be gone for good in OS X 10.11 at the latest.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Ah, so it's not quite dead yet. But I guess that it's disabled by default while the Notification Center seems to be supposed to supplant its functionality can be taken as a sign that it will be gone for good in OS X 10.11 at the latest.

I personally don't use Dashboard as I wasn't a fan of the memory usage in the past and never got into the whole widgets experience. I would say that Today view in notification center sounds like it is somewhat replacing the dashboard.

I will say that I have rarely used Spotlight and may have to start using it more now that it is so prominent and has expanded capabilities.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
I personally don't use Dashboard as I wasn't a fan of the memory usage in the past and never got into the whole widgets experience. I would say that Today view in notification center sounds like it is somewhat replacing the dashboard.

I will say that I have rarely used Spotlight and may have to start using it more now that it is so prominent and has expanded capabilities.

What do you mean memory usage? Dashboard only uses 17Mb of RAM...

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
What do you mean memory usage? Dashboard only uses 17Mb of RAM...

When Dashboard first debuted, it would continue to run in the background, using both memory and for portables, power. However that was several OS releases ago, and while I'm sure they improved that significantly, especially with 10.9 where nothing in the background should use power and resources if it doesn't need it, I had avoided it in the past and never adopted it later. I always disable dashboard as a space in Mission Control.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
When Dashboard first debuted, it would continue to run in the background, using both memory and for portables, power. However that was several OS releases ago, and while I'm sure they improved that significantly, especially with 10.9 where nothing in the background should use power and resources if it doesn't need it, I had avoided it in the past and never adopted it later. I always disable dashboard as a space in Mission Control.

Dashboard now only updates when you go to it.

Antoni Nygaard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2009
Denmark
I find it weird that the System Preferences icon is square when almost everything else is rectangular or round.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-03 at 17.10.22.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-03 at 17.10.22.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,101
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.