Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Piercey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2006
Perpetual Bondage
I'd just use search, but I need to up my post count. Found it, by the way, the offical answer is

"Only users with a history of 100 posts can start a thread or post replies in the Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum."

Note to admins... may want to rethink this. By setting it so high you get rid of both the anonymous one hit wonders short term false alias types, but you also encourage spam. Make the minimum 50 posts. That's just enough trouble to make it not worth the hassle to make a false/malevolent alias.

edit> thanks blue

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I'd just use search, but I need to up my post count.
So you admit to starting a thread just so you would be able to increase your post count?
Found it, by the way, the offical answer is

"Only users with a history of 100 posts can start a thread or post replies in the Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum."

Note to admins... may want to rethink this. By setting it so high you get rid of both the anonymous one hit wonders short term false alias types, but you also encourage spam. Make the minimum 50 posts. That's just enough trouble to make it not worth the hassle to make a false/malevolent alias.

edit> thanks blue

I think 100 is fine. Heck, I'd push for 150 or 200. This site isn't about politics, it's about Apple products and OS X. There are thousands of political forums out there if that's what you're in to.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
With just 36 more posts to go, I'm sure they await your arrival with customary open arms, cold hands and a warm heart. ;)

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
Why is a minimum post count required to post in the PRSI forum not in other forums? What is it exactly that the requirement is intended to accomplish, and why wouldn't any such benefit also accrue for the other forums? Just askin ...

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
It helps keep hit-and-run trolls from dropping by to stir things up with controversial posts on controversial issues. We force you make an effort at becoming a real part of the MacRumors community before you get to do that. :D

The Marketplace forum has a similar requirement, intended to help would-be sellers develop a history and reputation here before soliciting offers.

And of course, if the post requirement applied to all forums, you'd never be able to reach 100 posts. ;)

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Why is a minimum post count required to post in the PRSI forum not in other forums? What is it exactly that the requirement is intended to accomplish, and why wouldn't any such benefit also accrue for the other forums? Just askin ...

It's also in the classified section. It's to protect against spammers and trolls. If you're a regular contributer, it shouldn't matter. Post count doesn't get accrued there for the same reasons.

Edit: Sorry, didn't hit refresh before posting, so I missed Cowboy's post.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I also think there should be a reverse post requirement.
Members should have to make useful contributions in other threads in MR inorder to be allowed to continue to post in the PRSI threads.
There are members who don't seem to have ventured out of the PRSIs, in any significant way, since they got their 100 post count.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow

Note to admins... may want to rethink this. By setting it so high you get rid of both the anonymous one hit wonders short term false alias types, but you also encourage spam....

I believe spam is frowned upon, and often deleted. The end result is that spamming will get you nowhere. ;)

Eric Piercey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2006
Perpetual Bondage
I say just up it to 20 billion. [villainous snicker] It's no wonder the water in that little turtle pool is so yellow -not anyone would have noticed nor certainly cared. As for "admitting" to spamming, what are we 12? Did you see my join date? Go read my posts if you really care. I was making a statement is all. Can I get a hall pass to use the forum. C'mon people, 30 posts would do the job to head off the one hit wonder trolls. 100 is excessive and smells a tad l33tist. Smells like fear.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I say just up it to 20 billion. [villainous snicker] It's no wonder the water in that little turtle pool is so yellow -not anyone would have noticed nor certainly cared. As for "admitting" to spamming, what are we 12? Did you see my join date? Go read my posts if you really care. I was making a statement is all. Can I get a hall pass to use the forum. C'mon people, 30 posts would do the job to head off the one hit wonder trolls. 100 is excessive and smells a tad l33tist. Smells like fear.

Your join date plays no role whatsoever here, the only thing that counts is what and how you contribute. And no, I'm not going to go read your posts, :rolleyes: my comment was prompted by "need to up my post count" and "you encourage spam". My point is that spam is cracked down on pretty well here, we've got great moderation, so that's not a reason to change the rule.

I think WildCowboy explained the reasoning behind it. You don't have to like it, and of course in this sub-forum the whole point is to be able to comment on things about the forum you do or don't like, but being nasty when someone doesn't agree with you is never a good idea.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO

You're 10 posts away. Would it really be that difficult for you to make 10 worthwhile posts somewhere else in the forums so you can post in PRSI :rolleyes:

Eric Piercey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2006
Perpetual Bondage
Wow aank, thanks for deleting that post? So much for my wasting 30 minutes writing it. It was a brilliant summation of all that is wrong with the 100 post requirement. Wasn't that the point of this sub-forum????

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Wow aank, thanks for deleting that post? So much for my wasting 30 minutes writing it. It was a brilliant summation of all that is wrong with the 100 post requirement. Wasn't that the point of this sub-forum????
Im a little confused as to how aank can delete another persons posts.:confused:

As for the 100 posts, its been like that for a long time and nobody has complained about it. After all this is a Mac related site, politics are a side thought. Be lucky that we even have it.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004

I really think this is just getting a little overwrought and just a little personal, as well as misguided. And the 100 post count is staying, so further discussion is pointless. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.