Post-HDD Clone -> Time Machine Issue

Discussion in 'macOS' started by .adam, Feb 28, 2008.

1. .adam macrumors regular

Hi,

I upgraded my internal HDD yesterday by cloning my current HDD using SuperDuper! Everything booted up well however I am experiencing an issue with Time Machine.

Before upgrading my HDD I had kept nightly backups using Time Machine for the past month or so. Now, when I launch Time Machine and select 'Back Up Now', TM tries to create a full copy of my HDD (50GB+) and not the simple incremental backup that it would normally create. I can see my old incremental backups (and indeed the original 'base' backup).

I have a feeling that this is perhaps due to the fact that my new cloned HDD will have "Created On/Modified On" dates of yesterday and not the actual dates that they were created/modified on my old HDD.

My question is this, I cancelled the full backup (50GB+) to see if there was a way of forcing TM to only create the normal incremental backup.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam

2. .adam thread starter macrumors regular

3. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

I don't know if this will work, but instead of cloning your original drive (onto the new one) could you restore the new drive from your Time Machine backup? I think you're right that Time Machine sees the original drive and the clone as two different drives (so it makes an independent backup of the 'new' drive), so maybe if you did the restore technique it would treat it as the same drive.