Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shankar2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
Hi,

I'm very happy the way Yosemite installed on my macbook pro. No probs at all and in about 45 mins by mac was working just fine.

Most of the apps work as they should and I love the handoff feature!

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
After all the negative comments about the UI, etc, I am very pleased so far.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
Yup. Love it on my iMac 2011.

Runs great with no lags or stutters.

All the basic stuff runs without any problems.

iOS 8 on the other hand..........:eek:

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I'm quite happy with how drama free it's been.

Runs fairly great on my late 2013 15" rMBP. There's a slight performance hit, some animations just aren't as silky smooth as mavericks was, but it's generally fine.

I was alarmed at first because my battery time was only 4 hours at boot, but it resolved itself over the next half an hour and the time went back to 7+ hours. Guess the system had to figure it all out again.

superspud

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2007
installed it on both my work and home computer with zero issues.

love love love the new look and its very snappy. quite happy.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I'm loving it only issue I have is with time capsule. When I try to back up(first back up since update) it just says preparing backup but won't back anything up.

appleii.c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2013
I'm quite happy with how drama free it's been.

Runs fairly great on my late 2013 15" rMBP. There's a slight performance hit, some animations just aren't as silky smooth as mavericks was, but it's generally fine.

I was alarmed at first because my battery time was only 4 hours at boot, but it resolved itself over the next half an hour and the time went back to 7+ hours. Guess the system had to figure it all out again.

Ha! Mine was under 3 hours at 98% battery. Freaked me out but it balanced out after a bit of use. At one point it gave me 11+ hours after a full charge.

NO issues at all on my late 2013 rMBP. Did an upgrade, not clean install. Still getting used to the new look, the red iTunes icon is a bit strange, but overall I'm very pleased.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
It gives my 2011 MacBook Pro a whole new life! So fresh and modern, it's like having a new computer altogether! So glad I didn't wait to upgrade to Yosemite!

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I ran the Public Beta off an external on my Air this summer. Didn't boot into it all that often because I had to plug the drive in, but still needed 10.9 as my main os and didn't want to partition.

I upgraded the Air yesterday to 10.10. But I left my main machine, a 27" iMac running 10.9. This is the first time I've updated the laptop first. Usually I update my iMac. And this is the first time I'm glad I did that. This is one .0 release I am happy not to have put on my main computer. Aside from Handoff/Continuity, and the iOS inspired translucency, much of 10.10 seems like an incremental upgrade from 10.9, yet it is buggier than 10.8 or 10.9 were for .0 releases. Maybe those past two built more on 10.7 Lion and this is more off a rewrite. But I am surprised at all the minor and not so minor issues.

I really like 10.10. Don't get me wrong. But I am getting spotty handoff consistency, and finder windows that can't be closed and other graphical issues and app freezes. Looking forward to a more stable build.

capuzino

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2013
Finland
I didn't like Yosemite when I first saw it. And when I tried the Public Beta.
But now I gotta admit that I like the way it looks and feels. It just took me some time to figure out the strange translucency effect. After that the OS started to look pretty nice.

But there's few strange problems with it. "About my Mac" page lags when you change tabs on it, App Store tells me that I have to accept few apps (Pages, iMovie etc.) but I can't (even though I can download those for free). The weird black corners on volume change window when you reduce translucency.. And and and the worst - My mac doesn't want to open iCloud Drive folder.

-Otherwise it feels snappier and better, and especially on rMBP's screen it looks great.

..Now I just have to wait my iPhone to arrive early next week.

Edit: restarting helped for the iCloud problem.

Last edited:

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
Love it! Using this incrediballs wallpaper to complement it.

http://www.gtgraphics.de/dl-daylight-2560x1600.jpg (full size)

2uhl15x.jpg

Brittany246

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2013
I actually like it. When I first saw the UI this summer I didn't like the 2d dock. After installing it, the dock isn't that bad. I changed it to dark mode so it looks better. I also love the notifications center. I can't wait until I can be able to get sms in Messages.

janitor3

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Been running the Yosemite beta programmes on a partition on my macbook pro, not updated to the official release yet.
Going to make a bootable usb of it first. :)

Alimar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
New York State
I have been using Beta versions for a few weeks without a hitch. The full version appears to be stable.

Yosemite works 1000% better than Mavericks ever did for me. It's like having a new computer! Hand-off and Continuity are great.

JuryDuty

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2014
Texas
I don't know why people don't like the UI. I find it clean and minimal--just the way I like it. I especially like the red/yellow/green buttons, the new FaceTime icon and the new trash can.

edenbensal

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2012
I want to upgrade to Yosemite but i prefer to wait to more stable version. How much time you suggest me to wait? Or just wait until apple will release an 10.10.x update?

gamesetmatch

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Palm Springs, CA, USA
Installed Yosemite yesterday. Zero problems during set-up.

At first, I thought the whole interface was too bright for my eyes. Had to level down the brightness. I have alredy gotten used to it and I may say, I like it.

With regards to performance, I can't say I have noticed a huge improvement over Mavericks... it's about the same.

I turn the option to "reduce transparency" under Accessibiluty -- although not as pleasant as the default option, seems faster.

Only glitch so far: I do not receive Facetime calls on my Mac although iMessages work just fine. I can start a call from the Macbook, but when the iPhone rings, not a single notification shows up >> this continuity feature was the one I was looking forward to.

Facetime calls work okay between the iPhone and the iPad mini retina. They show up at the same time.

Any suggestions on how to make the notifications appear when someone calls my iPhone?

Thanks,

Mark.

lobo1978

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
Love Yosemite

I love new look. Everything is smooth and crisp. Feel like a brand new system for me. Enjoying every minute now. Love Continuity and taking calls from my mac. I have a poor signal and only in one spot I have a decent reception. I leave iPhone there and work without interruptions. That's is fantastic!! :)

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
Looks great! Although it seems it's taking time for it to set up iCloud Drive. Just says "Setting up". Does anyone else have that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.