Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevingaffney

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
With the iPad getting a good field testing in US for us Europeans over the last few weeks, I'm curious how many of you have already got fed up with it, getting fed up with it or consider it a waste of money. Clearly, as the novelty factor will be shortly wearing off and consumer reviews should be a lot more objective than a couple of weeks back, I'd be more interested in the views of the early adopters for this reason

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
I don't feel it. I never got sick of my iPod Touch's usefulness, I don't see my love for the iPad going away for awhile if ever.

kevingaffney

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
I don't feel it. I never got sick of my iPod Touch's usefulness, I don't see my love for the iPad going away for awhile if ever.
I'm curious to track the responses as I'm one of those who will almost certainly buy. However, obviously there is a huge price difference between the iPod and iPad. It's something that requires a little more thought with money being a little tight all over the place

ClaireL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2010
New Jersey
kevingaffney said:
With the iPad getting a good field testing in US for us Europeans over the last few weeks, I'm curious how many of you have already got fed up with it, getting fed up with it or consider it a waste of money. Clearly, as the novelty factor will be shortly wearing off and consumer reviews should be a lot more objective than a couple of weeks back, I'd be more interested in the views of the early adopters for this reason

It's 3 am so forgive me but the mere idea of being fed up with my iPad is both laughable and insane. I'm not only finding new uses for my iPad all the time but seeing that my device will stay in my possession until the next gen version comes out. I got it on April 3 and not even close to being "fed up" with my iPad. It hasn't done anything bad or malfunction. It's def not a toy as it is to some wealthier men and women but a wonderful device that has enhanced my daily activities/leisure.

Good night :)

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
There are times where I get fed up with th iPad...when limited by Apple's OS such as not being able to delete photos or view certain content online. I know you should take the iPad for what it is, but it's hard to not try and treat and use it as a regular computer at times.

I have also thought at times that it is too expensive for what I use it for, which is really a web browser 95% of the time, especially since we bought two, one mr my wife and one for me.

ukyo229

Jan 27, 2010
Sony has something similar cooking in the back, I'd assume they will release information about it before the iPads international release.

I would prefer to own a Sony, than an Apple product. I just hope whatever they are doing has a custom OS designed for it.

Elise

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
London
Christ it's not even a month old... surely folks were aware of the limitations of the device before they bought it!!

Ratty

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Hampshire, UK
Sony has something similar cooking in the back, I'd assume they will release information about it before the iPads international release.

I would prefer to own a Sony, than an Apple product. I just hope whatever they are doing has a custom OS designed for it.

If Sony had their own desktop OS, I'd buy that lovely looking Vaio X straight away. I just don't have any Windows experience. Although Windows 7 looks OK.

I think it extremely unlikely that Sony will develop anything innoventive here, they used to be leaders, today they are followers.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
Christ it's not even a month old... surely folks were aware of the limitations of the device before they bought it!!

How could we be aware that you can't delete synced photos or that iTunes would not sync .AVI MJPEG movies especially when Apple advertised that it would. And I should clarify, it does play the videos, but you can sync them from your computer, yoy apparentlynhave to use Apple's camera connection kit to get them on there. there are other annoyances too...how were we supposed to know about these before we bought it?

Maaz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2010
How could we be aware that you can't delete synced photos or that iTunes would not sync .AVI MJPEG movies especially when Apple advertised that it would. And I should clarify, it does play the videos, but you can sync them from your computer, yoy apparentlynhave to use Apple's camera connection kit to get them on there. there are other annoyances too...how were we supposed to know about these before we bought it?
Because it's obvious, same with the iPhone.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
Maaz said:
Because it's obvious, same with the iPhone.

So youre saying it's just a big iPhone? I thought it was supposed to be much more capable.

I know, now, that the iPhone has the same limitations. I didn't know because I never used my iPhone in these ways...I never synced my photo albums to the iPhone, why would I? With the iPad, it lends itself much kore tomusing it as a photo album and to show people photos, much more than the iPhone.

spammerhamster

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2010
If people would be fed up, they should be fed up with the appmakers. The ipad is merely a vessel. It's the apps that are making the difference. (the fact that 99% of the appmakers didn't/don't have an ipad to test with, means a lot of bugs)

Never have I've clicked the "check for updates"-button this often... the current apps barely scratched the ipads possibilities.

Jinkst

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2008
London via Sydney
So youre saying it's just a big iPhone? I thought it was supposed to be much more capable.

No, it's more of a big iPod touch. But seeing as it runs a 3.X version of iPhone OS it was always going to run similar to the iPhone and iPod touch. So you can't be surprised if it has some of the same limitations such as the photos sync issue.

kevingaffney

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
If people would be fed up, they should be fed up with the appmakers. The ipad is merely a vessel. It's the apps that are making the difference. (the fact that 99% of the appmakers didn't/don't have an ipad to test with, means a lot of bugs)

Never have I've clicked the "check for updates"-button this often... the current apps barely scratched the ipads possibilities.

I've said this before but quite happy to wait for European launch. Well be a lot closer to 4.0 and should be some quality apps available by then. Roll on May, June , July or whenever we get it in Ireland

vertigo78

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2008
This is like asking me if im fed up with my mbp since I spend almost all of my computer time on my ipad. I do all the same stuff (web surfing, rss, videos, podcasts) except on my ipad. Its limitations are still there but most of them are solved by my mbp. Those that aren't i hope will be fixed by a jailbreak. (Im fiending to have backgrounder and sbsettings on this) but no im not fed up with it. It does everything i expected it to do. Maybe not everything i want it to do but i hope that will be fixed by new apps and os updates. But if you are expecting that sooner rather then later you will be disappointed. There are some great apps in the app store but not as many as i expected. And iphone os 4 wont be coming until fall. You wont regret your purchase if you accept these things.

bluehaze013

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2007
I still love the device but I am fed up with a few things, the lack of printing is a terrible oversight, the lack of uploading and downloading in Safari is a huge oversight, the photo app is nothing more than a glorified digital picture frame, can't even delete synced photos, not being able to view flash websites and videos is just plain stupid. Basically for any kind of productivity the device sucks. However strictly as a consumption device for email, Internet, games, movies, etc the device is the most enjoyable thing that I have ever used.

Hopefully apple increases the productivity side of things in the future as if a similar device comes available that allows printing, uploading, downloading, works with flash, has a better photo album etc it will be really hard for me to justify owning an iPad vs the competition but I really love this thing so I certainly hope apple fixes the shortcomings of the device in the near future.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
More fed up with the iPad bashing than anything else.

Once you play with an iPad, you can really see what makes it so great, and you really start to wonder what mental defect the haters have.

One Love 1867

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2009
Sheffield, UK
How are people finding the iPad ties in with their existing computer usage?

Currently, I am a Mac Mini owner, but am contemplating selling the Mini and putting the proceeds towards the cost of a new iMac + iPad combo. However, if the iPad is suffecient enough to eat into "proper" computing time, I'm wondering it it's really worth it.

Are you guys still finding time for your desktops despite the presence of the iPad?

Zazoh

macrumors 65832
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas

I know, now, that the iPhone has the same limitations. I didn't know because I never used my iPhone in these ways...I never synced my photo albums to the iPhone, why would I? With the iPad, it lends itself much kore tomusing it as a photo album and to show people photos, much more than the iPhone.

Why would one take the trouble to organize files put them in a folder, sync said folder to iPad then feel the need to delete a photo. Sometimes people don't think use cases through. Again consumption device and fast. Pics are brought over as indexed db and FAST I don't want to loose that so someone in theory can delete an image from a collection that should have been managed already.

iChase

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2007
Orlando, FL
Wow, that's not weighted at all. :rolleyes:

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
How are people finding the iPad ties in with their existing computer usage?

Currently, I am a Mac Mini owner, but am contemplating selling the Mini and putting the proceeds towards the cost of a new iMac + iPad combo. However, if the iPad is suffecient enough to eat into "proper" computing time, I'm wondering it it's really worth it.

Are you guys still finding time for your desktops despite the presence of the iPad?

My iMac gets used often for heavy content creation work, pixel level graphics, television recording (via EyeTV), and software development.

My iPad gets used often supporting my work reading books (via O'Reilly Safari) and PDFs via Goodreader. I do rough sketches and UI design on it with Sketchbook pro, and Data modeling with Numbers. I also check the news with it, follow my RSS feeds and blogs, check in on my portfolio, and watch TV and movies on it (via EyeTV and Netflix)

The two devices compliment each other very nicely.

As for the opening poster question. I keep finding new things to do with my iPad that I hadn't expected. It's definitely not a novelty or toy. For a first rev, it's an amazing device. Much more polished and useful than I was expecting.

(posted from my iPad)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.