Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
The transformation to standard data types is not yet complete. Microsoft still seems to be fighting it with respect to Office. Yet, nobody today would seriously consider the camera in a cell phone useful unless it supports JPEG. MP3 and AAC are standardized and MP3 support is universal. MPEG-2 and MPEG4/AVC are extremely widely available, although not (yet) "free". We can debate how far this trend has progressed to date, but, at this point in time, there is no going back.

So, yes, "The PC" is dead as a data monopoly, but, it wouldn't surprise me to see Windows around for a long time.

Remember the biggest selling software on Macs is Microsoft Office for Mac. :D:D

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
And, as I stated before, if you don't treat the thing like a chunk of metal, you shouldn't have that problem. What, do you subject your bag to drops, bangs, and serious bumps throughout the day? If so, I don't think you need to be using something like the iPad in the first place, not for your line of work.

The iPad is more portable. Trying to find some arbitrary rebuttal is pointless. If you have some sort of legitimate argument, I'd love to hear it.

That's your opinion dude. My bag is subject to drops and knocks, I'm a university student. An iPad wouldn't be useful in my classes anyway, I do graphic design, video editing, web design, and advertising, an iPad wouldn't help in any of those.

Clearly we have different opinions on what a good portable device is, so I'm not going to bother with any further facts.

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
That's your opinion dude. My bag is subject to drops and knocks, I'm a university student. An iPad wouldn't be useful in my classes anyway, I do graphic design, video editing, web design, and advertising, an iPad wouldn't help in any of those.

Clearly we have different opinions on what a good portable device is, so I'm not going to bother with any further facts.

You should use the technology that you need and not be swayed by hipster-ism and cult-ism that seems to infect the interwebs/intertubes.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
You should use the technology that you need and not be swayed by hipster-ism and cult-ism that seems to infect the interwebs/intertubes.

I do my best to steer clear of hipters and cultism lol. Owning an iPhone is possibly the closest I get to being in a cult.

I'm not hating on anyone who has use for these devices by the way, if you fit it into your workflow then good for you.

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
I do my best to steer clear of hipters and cultism lol. Owning an iPhone is possibly the closest I get to being in a cult.

I'm not hating on anyone who has use for these devices by the way, if you fit it into your workflow then good for you.

That's the point. Define your own workflow and don't let Steve Jobs do it for you.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
*shakes head*

Why shake head ? There has been a need to dumb down computing for quite a while. My step father doesn't need all the powerful tools I have and even if they are just hidden from his sight, he still manages to hose his system every so often.

The less a system is a powerful and flexible, the less a user can destroy it, the less security exploits are found on it and the less it is exploitable. Thus, it becomes an appliance device, low maintenance, high usefulness for the tasks it does.

For the common user, this is quite the boon, I don't see why you don't think so. There always will be PCs around for the rest of us.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
Why shake head ? There has been a need to dumb down computing for quite a while. My step father doesn't need all the powerful tools I have and even if they are just hidden from his sight, he still manages to hose his system every so often.

The less a system is a powerful and flexible, the less a user can destroy it, the less security exploits are found on it and the less it is exploitable. Thus, it becomes an appliance device, low maintenance, high usefulness for the tasks it does.

For the common user, this is quite the boon, I don't see why you don't think so. There always will be PCs around for the rest of us.

Computing needs to be more understandable, not dumb. Dumbing down imposes limitation, simplicity brings understanding.

Last edited:

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
Computing needs to be more understandable, not dumb. Dumbing down imposes limitation, simplicity brings understanding.

Explain how iPad computing is "dumbed down"? Hell, there is even a file explorer app that allows me to connect to another computer file share, if I want to look at files! There are 400K apps, many of which are "power user" type applications. You can be as dumb or intelligent in your usage as you want to.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Explain how iPad computing is "dumbed down"? Hell, there is even a file explorer app that allows me to connect to another computer file share, if I want to look at files! There are 400K apps, many of which are "power user" type applications. You can be as dumb or intelligent in your usage as you want to.

The iPad has no command line, has no user accessible filesystem or file explorer, heck it has no concept of files in a user presented way. Everything is a database (the Music Library, the Video Library, the Photo Library) which Apps access and present to the user in a controlled fashion. The user doesn't have to manage meta-data, doesn't have to update the browser, update the music player, update the core display system, it's all packaged up and given to him.

There are no tools pre-installed that a hacker can use after a successful exploit to further compromise the system, no compilers, no linkers. There is no multi-user complexity, multiple profiles and settings, etc..

It's really an appliance. It's dead easy and it manages itself. The user can do actual work with the applications instead of being bothered managing the system.

This is the future of personal computing for the masses, these locked-down, dumbed down OSes. For the rest of us, we'll have OS X, Linux, Windows just like we've always had*.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Probably from the fact that it's been in the market for nearly a year and it has continually lost MS share. Consumers care about it even less now than they did a few months ago. It even finished behind Bada last quarter.

Last quarter, Samsung sold 2 million Bada smartphones, while all Windows Phone partners combined sold 1.7 million. And it's been a year.

Something is very wrong.

At present WP7 is a non-starter. We can surmise that if manufactures turn away from Google (in light of recent events) that WP7 will gain traction. However, the result from more units for sale might simply result in more units of something no one really wants. We're witnessing that with Apple's competition in the tablet segment.

Windows Phone 7 isn't going anywhere, the world's biggest software company doesn't back a product without it getting some support. Bada has Samsung's support...while they also make Windows and Android phones. Be reasonable WP7 is going to be a big player, they also have Nokia very much on board.

MS is going to be an impressive force in the coming years, not the only like they once were, but they aren't going anywhere either.

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Why shake head ?

Sorry, I guess I should have did

*nods in agreement*

That's what I meant :) I mean, that's why I'm still on SL with a free Lion upgrade tucked away somewhere. Too many fancy UI changes and not enough functionality.

What did they add in terms of functionality anyway? Mission control? Which, from the looks of it, I wouldn't like as opposed to the more organized, visually functional Expose + spaces (MC looks like a cluster**** with a lot of stuff open)

They also added many UI improvements that hinder performance. Don't get me wrong, I want to use Lion, but when there are a ton of guides showing how to revert back to SL UI tweaks something has gone wrong.

I think it ultimately depends on what kind type of person you are and how fluent you are with the computer. Obviously, those of us here know more about computer that everyone else who just walked into the store and picked up a new machine.

Personally, I agree with you. I don't want my machine down down, like hiding the library, for one, and to be able to access all my files and documents the way I want to.

MS is going to be an impressive force in the coming years, not the only like they once were, but they aren't going anywhere either.

Lets hope so. Hopefully they'll use what happened with HP to strengthen their dedication towards her operating system support they should give it.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Way to ignore my post about making a better laptop. :rolleyes: Seriously, my point went either way above your head or you purposefully failed to grasp it.
You missed my point about netbooks (which was more about the rising of the mobile form factor than it was specifically about netbooks) so I declined to respond to your response because it strayed so far from the point I was trying to make.

Where did I argue for desktop PCs ?
Where did I say you did?

The netbook is as portable as a tablet.
Yes, it is. And the netbook became a hot item because of said portability not because it was running a mobile OS. Is software important? Yes, of course it is. So is form factor. iOS on a 17" MBP would make as much sense as a full version of OS X crammed onto an iPhone. And seemingly the echo system (the overall interaction of various pieces of hardware and software) is most important.

As for your real estate agent example : Yes, I do realise some people's experience may be different from my own. However, I do also realise you've failed to present a convincing case as to why the iPad makes it better. I just don't see it. Others who replied to you don't either.
I provided examples but if your opinion isn't changed then your opinion isn't changed. I can lead a horse to water, but I can't make it drink. I try to look at things through various perspectives. Just because I don't have a good reason to get a tablet doesn't mean that no one has a good reason to get a tablet.

Seriously, I thought you own of the better posters, has my judgment failed me ?
I was thinking the same about you. At least we agree on something.

This is the future of personal computing for the masses, these locked-down, dumbed down OSes. For the rest of us, we'll have OS X, Linux, Windows just like we've always had*.
Okay, we agree on two things. ;)

Mobile OSes and hardware I see as new options and not straight up replacements for laptops and desktops. There will a lot of growth in mobile because it is so new where as laptops/desktops are have already saturated the market place. There will also be a number of people ditching laptops for tablets because they didn't really need everything a laptop could do in the first place (it was just the only mobile option at the time so they went with it). But there will still be 'power users' that need, or just prefer, a more powerful computing environment than what a tablet is going to be able to offer.

Lethal

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
You can all argue, but Steve Jobs won. 70 million iPads to be sold in the next year says it all. Windows is dead.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
You can all argue, but Steve Jobs won. 70 million iPads to be sold in the next year says it all. Windows is dead.

You seem to have forgotten the smiley face to show that you are joking, because surely you can't be serious.

Kurfer

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
I feel so restricted on my ipad. I use it for checking facebook, sports scores, weather and other minor news related things. I couldn't replace my PC with it at all, I am just too slow without a mouse/keyboard/touchpad. It feels like complicated websites with drop down menus and text input is more of a chore on my ipad.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
I feel so restricted on my ipad. I use it for checking facebook, sports scores, weather and other minor news related things. I couldn't replace my PC with it at all, I am just too slow without a mouse/keyboard/touchpad. It feels like complicated websites with drop down menus and text input is more of a chore on my ipad.

I agree with you. That's why I sold mine after 9 months of trying to like it.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011

It sure is. Windows 7 has sold a paltry 400,000,000 in just under two years and is the fastest selling OS in history. Stick a fork in it, it's done.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
+2. I've just sold mine as well. Great concept, but doesn't do enough as of yet.

It has limitations, sure. It's a small screen tablet. Saying it doesn't do enough is like selling my Mercedes because it won't off road good enough, you know?

I'm not trying to argue, just sayin'...

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
Steve Jobs remaining as Chairman will deliver the final death blow to Microsoft. Just you wait and see. ;)

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Steve Jobs remaining as Chairman will deliver the final death blow to Microsoft. Just you wait and see. ;)

So what you happen if Steve Jobs embraced Microsoft? They are no way near death.

I own both Apple stock and Microsoft stock, and I can tell you now, neither of them are on their final leg.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.