Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The.316

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2010
25100 GR
Yet another, bocote + poplar.

Bocote is a highly exotic wood tough to find, poplar you can get at home depots any day of the week - Can be a challenge finding the right grain pattern, I looked at 4 stores before I found this one. Gives almost a granite like look when machined. View attachment 574650

If you dont mind, what do you charge for these?

XrayTed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
Here is a nice thing about having a CNC machine - When parts fail, you can often fabricate your own, saving time & $$.

This part holds the dust boot in place, made it out of .75 colorcore - Superior to the original. Pretty messy because, well, I didn't have a dust boot attached.

View attachment 576386

View attachment 576389

Reactions: AlliFlowers

D.Kwando

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
Work in progress. Couldn't afford to buy one so I'm making one instead.

36"x48"
11850176_1695944407305050_1297123402_n.jpg

D.Kwando

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
What is it?

Fancy fly swatter or city square cutout would be my guess

Noo Yoik.

Bingo! Paper cut out of lower Manhattan. Th finished product will have more of Manhattan with parts of Brooklyn and NJ.

Not sure what happened to the quality of the pic but here's another angle of the backside, which is where I'm making all the cuts. Not perfect or an exact representation but I'm pleased with it so far.

2015_0923_16253400_1_zpsq9jwj1yb.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: bhtwo

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Bingo! Paper cut out of lower Manhattan. Th finished product will have more of Manhattan with parts of Brooklyn and NJ.

Not sure what happened to the quality of the pic but here's another angle of the backside, which is where I'm making all the cuts. Not perfect or an exact representation but I'm pleased with it so far.

Looks really nice. When you're done I should be able to see both my daughter's apartment in the city, and my son's place in Brooklyn. ;)

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
Getting towards Xmas so I was inspired to make this angelic scene today, still a little glossy from the clear coat.
Is about 12x7", wood is poplar and is lightly stained.

I would have positioned the flower garland slightly differently. ;)

XrayTed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
Beautiful work!

Thanks man, it is simple but kinda elegant ... Tells a little story at a glance, and its up to the viewer to decide what the story is. Only thing I don't like about it is the positioning of the right wing, looks a little awkward and unnatural, going to have to work on that a bit.

I would have positioned the flower garland slightly differently. ;)

I see your point - Saved me from having to make an angel dong though ! Nudes are not uncommon in angelic scenes but I try to stay away from genitalia.

XrayTed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
On a roll, created this Tiki mask out of quilted maple, about 14x6" [iphone photo, don't know why they insist on posting sideways] And yes, I did break through the model at one point, didn't notice the knotty area on the other side when I started.

View attachment 597923

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. McMac

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
I've recently entered prop making. If I can't find what I need, I make it. The prop is an Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device, or ASHPD for short. Colloquially known as a Portal Gun from Valve's game Portal. While I am a perfectionist in a lot of ways, sometimes I like to reimagine details to put my spin on things. So the barrel needed some action. I haven't finished it yet but this was a chaser led board I designed, etched, and populated.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

As it would happen, I've gone back to the drawing board several times over as I keep refining it. It looks like I will be custom building all my boards for this project.

XrayTed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
On a roll with the tiki masks ... This one was cut from burled walnut, no stain at all just a clear coat.Really nice how the cut area is so much darker than the uncut, I sorta planned it that way but didn't think it would be this dramatic of a difference.

View attachment 600022 View attachment 600023

XrayTed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
No doubt I could, but would take hours and hours of designing to come up with a suitable model, hours and hours to cut and finish, so would likely be on the $$ side, paid in advance.
An alternative would possibly be to buy an already existing model, I'm sure they are out there, then commission someone to do it for you, either routed or 3d printed.

You a Titanic fanatic ?

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
No doubt I could, but would take hours and hours of designing to come up with a suitable model, hours and hours to cut and finish, so would likely be on the $$ side, paid in advance.
An alternative would possibly be to buy an already existing model, I'm sure they are out there, then commission someone to do it for you, either routed or 3d printed.

You a Titanic fanatic ?
Haha yes.

What do you mean by buying one first? What would I need to buy

XrayTed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
People create 3D models and sell them, such as this site
https://www.vectorart3d.com/store/

Offhand I couldn't find any Titanics, really would be quite a project for worthy results.

Another possibility is a lithophane, I can make one from just about any picture, like this one for example of Taylor Momsen.

XrayTed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
Would be in the $100-$125 range depending mostly on size. Obviously for a ship would be longer than wide, say about 5x12" in that vicinity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.