Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crank Lucas

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
Alright I need some help finding a school like this, preferably in northern NJ
anyone that can lead me into the right directions I would appreciate it

rhsgolfer33

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
you are trying to go to a school for an mba program that doesnt require a GMAT to get in? why?

imo dont skimp on entrance exams if you are pursuing a grad degree

I tend to agree, the name on an MBA tends to add a good bit to its value. If you're really going to put that much money into a degree you want to get it from the best place you can and most if not all of the upper tier schools are going to require a GMAT. Heck, even most lower ranked schools require a GMAT; I can have the GMAT waived at my undergrad university, but only because I've spent 4 years there and they know the kind of work I produce.

I know that Seton Hall will waive a GMAT if you are a "seasoned manager." You have to fill out a form and get approval though.

Here is a website with the colleges and universities in NJ, I'd have a look through there and check the individual websites for MBA programs and entry requirements.

http://www.nj.gov/highereducation/colleges/schools_sector.htm

Most schools will require the GMAT, its only like $150 (nothing compared to the cost of an MBA program) to take the test and as long as you score in 550-600 range you should be able to get in somewhere that is decent.

Crank Lucas

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
^Hey thanx for the response man its actually for my sister she doesnt know what to do anymore she failed it twice, she graduated from a fairly decent school but they dont have a MBA program so she's screwed

DarkHeraldMage

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
^Hey thanx for the response man its actually for my sister she doesnt know what to do anymore she failed it twice, she graduated from a fairly decent school but they dont have a MBA program so she's screwed

I'm sorry to hear that about her. But to be completely frank - if she can't pass the GMAT with acceptable scores, an MBA is not something she should be shooting for. Speaking from personal experience, I had to struggle to study for the GMAT and then took it and still didn't do as well as I would've liked. Even still, I got into a nice school and am working on my MBA now. But a Master's degree is hard. I cannot stress that enough. A Master's is not just the natural extension to a Bachelor's; the two are like night and day. You have to want it and you have to work at it. It's tough, but if she wants in, she'll have to try extra hard.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I'm sorry to hear that about her. But to be completely frank - if she can't pass the GMAT with acceptable scores, an MBA is not something she should be shooting for. Speaking from personal experience, I had to struggle to study for the GMAT and then took it and still didn't do as well as I would've liked. Even still, I got into a nice school and am working on my MBA now. But a Master's degree is hard. I cannot stress that enough. A Master's is not just the natural extension to a Bachelor's; the two are like night and day. You have to want it and you have to work at it. It's tough, but if she wants in, she'll have to try extra hard.

i agree on that

i was able to take a few grad courses while an undergrad in mech engineering and they were just on another level.

remember the transition from high school to college courses? its like that again for undergrad and grad classes

rhsgolfer33

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006

Maybe she could benefit by taking a GMAT course? If you are scoring pretty low and class could be the way to go and could help her show a significant improvement. The learning is pretty structured like in college but she'll still have to do the homework and study if she expects to succeed on the actual GMAT. I think I am going to take a GMAT prep course from Kaplan this coming spring/summer to prepare for a July/August test date. It could be something for her to look into; yes, they are extraordinarily expensive, but the $1500 isn't much when you look at what a good score on the test can do for you. You could probably learn all the material on your own, but if she is anything like me, it is far easier to learn when things are explained and written on the board; I have a hard time motivating myself to study on my own sometimes, so classes are a good tool for me.

rhsgolfer33

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
I'm sorry to hear that about her. But to be completely frank - if she can't pass the GMAT with acceptable scores, an MBA is not something she should be shooting for.

I don't really agree with that, many people who do poorly on the GMAT (or any standardized test) can succeed in a graduate setting. Thats like saying because you scored 1000 on the SATs you aren't going to do well in college. Success in graduate school courses and undergrad courses for that matter, is more about motivation than whether you can do some standardized logic or math question on an admissions test. I wasn't motivated at all for the SAT, but I am in my college courses, and I do quite well. I know many students with close to 4.0s in college work who scored less than 1200 out of 1800 on the SAT; its not really a predictor of success, its more a predictor of how many standardized practice test booklets you bought and completed.

Crank Lucas

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
thanx guys, she just isn't a good test taker, for instance the time limit hurts her alot too
she had took a expensive GMAT course before her first test, she didnt mark high enough, she took the second this week, scored higher than her first but still was not enough

maybe third times a charm? I dont know but I feel bad

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Success in graduate school courses and undergrad courses for that matter, is more about motivation than whether you can do some standardized logic or math question on an admissions test.

I know many students with close to 4.0s in college work who scored less than 1200 out of 1800 on the SAT; its not really a predictor of success, its more a predictor of how many standardized practice test booklets you bought and completed.
Sounds like motivation to me! :D

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
another thought. are you sure she wants an mba? she could posibly pursue another grad program at her school without taking any entrance exam

if she wants an mba, id just keep practicing it until id pass personally

DarkHeraldMage

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Everybody is different when it comes to this stuff. I was accepted into my undergraduate degree instantly based on my SAT scores alone. Why? Because I studied and took it twice. I'm normally not a good test taker either, but it was important to me and I knew how much was riding on it. Same thing with the GMAT. I only took it once, but did well enough for it to get me into the MBA program I wanted. Of course a test isn't completely indicative of a level of aptitude for an entire degree, but the basis is similar enough to make loose assessments.

I'd suggest she try the GMAT once more. I finished before the time limit was up mainly because I was relaxed and not stressing out over it. I'm no genius by any means, but I knew going into it that stressing and worrying about my grade would only make me second-guess myself throughout the whole thing. It sounds silly, but just tell her to study, and relax. It's important, but her life doesn't depend on it.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Undoubtedly this has been said already before, but if you find an MBA program that doesn't require some entrance exam then I would seriously look into why. They may not be an accredited program making that expensive degree all the more useless. I know I had to take it and trust me, it was nothing compared to actually completing my MBA. It sounds to me like your sister doesn't want it all that bad.

rhsgolfer33

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
Sounds like motivation to me! :D

In a way that is what the tests are about; its just significantly harder (for me anyway) to get motivated for the SAT/GMAT/whatever, than to do my statistics homework. Alas, I will waste a summer away studying for that stupid test that predicts little about how well I will do, oh well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.