Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snickelfritz

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Tucson AZ
Kuler is a Flash site that allows designers to create coordinated color palettes online, and share them publicly as AdobeCS-compatible swatches.
ie: you can download the swatches and load them into the swatch pallete in Photoshop.
It's an absolutely awesome service.

There's also Photoshop Express, a free Flash-based online photo editing and sharing service.
Awesome.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Kuler is a Flash site that allows designers to create coordinated color palettes online, and share them publicly as AdobeCS-compatible swatches.
ie: you can download the swatches and load them into the swatch pallete in Photoshop.
It's an absolutely awesome service.

There's also Photoshop Express, a free Flash-based online photo editing and sharing service.
Awesome.

Ah, that does sound familiar now. Here's something similar done is JavaScript called COPASO. Haven't used any of these myself as I like playing around with colors on my own.

snickelfritz

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Tucson AZ
Copaso is very similar to kuler, although kuler is actually more akin to an online desktop application.
Kuler and PhotoshopExpress are very similar to apps like Aperture and Lightroom, except that they are published as websites, instead of being compiled as stand-alone desktop applications.

Flash "websites" are actually platform-independent applications running within a dedicated plugin API.
There are no browser/platform-related dependencies beyond that required to embed the file in an HTML webpage.

IMO, it's just a question of time before Adobe creates their own high-performance web browser, based on AIR technology that will allow AJAX and Flash desktop applications to run seamlessly on the internet alongside conventional HTML/CSS web content.
ie: online word processors, drawing programs, photo editors etc... that can read/write both locally and online, would be relatively easy to develop and implement.

So, for example, one could post a blog or news page in AIR format with the ability to login as admin and update online content directly within the application window, in exactly the same way one would work locally in MS Word or Indesign.
Fonts and images embedded; no text reflow or formatting issues, intelligent scaling of the interface to fit the browser window, seamless page transitions, and XML-based assets that can be easily updated without recompiling the application.
PDF on steriods.

IMO, this is the likely future of the "high-end" (big bux) in web publishing.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
I don't get a "wow" from any of those because nothing comes up as I have flash blocked by default, and if there's nothing but flash on the site I don't bother looking any further.

exactly, I looked at each of those sites and saw "loading" then a bunch of crap animations for about 20 seconds before I could finally begin to browse the site (which wasnt a pleasant intuitive experience)!

--

can someone post an example of an impressive site not created in Flash?

Yep, I did.

What impresses people varies from person to person.
Apparently you like things flying around and useless animations.

I like simple design, subtle animations, valid XHTML, easy navigation, and accessibility.

Flash is kind of like how tables are being used. Tables were never intended for layout, nor was flash ever intended to be used to make whole websites.

you have just joined 2% of the market that has Flash disabled.
And those with flash enabled, but are unable to view it because of special needs? That 2% is important, especially when most of the crap done in flash doesnt require flash!

snickelfritz

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Tucson AZ
exactly, I looked at each of those sites and saw "loading" then a bunch of crap animations for about 20 seconds before I could finally begin to browse the site (which wasnt a pleasant intuitive experience)!

--

Yep, I did.

What impresses people varies from person to person.
Apparently you like things flying around and useless animations.

I like simple design, subtle animations, valid XHTML, easy navigation, and accessibility.

Flash is kind of like how tables are being used. Tables were never intended for layout, nor was flash ever intended to be used to make whole websites.

And those with flash enabled, but are unable to view it because of special needs? That 2% is important, especially when most of the crap done in flash doesnt require flash!

10% of 2% = potential lost revenues from those with Flash disabled.
This can hardly be considered as being significant, and is certainly not much of a reason to throw the baby out with the bath.
In this case, the limitations are voluntarily imposed by the user, and are not inherent to the API, as they would be if the site content were published in Windows-only format, or something to that effect.
True assessibility is a development objective in every API; it does not happen "automatically".

I concur that "wow" is subjective, and although http://www.760disc.com/ is a valid example of what can be done with AJAX coding, and the layout is beautiful, this example hardly qualifies for "wow" status, compared other plain vanilla "web2.0" AJAX sites, and is certainly not in the same class as an advanced AS3 application.
IMO, the most advanced interactive "eye-candy" features of this site are, at best, replications of extremely basic AS3 functions.
For example, the page transitions are abrupt with no easing whatsoever, and the rollovers are essentially no more advanced than basic javascript or CSS image-swapping.
I'm not implying that this site is not "good" in absolute terms, but it hardly qualifies as RIA, and I doubt that most visitors come away with the feeling that they've just experienced something out of the ordinary, which is what "wow" is all about.

IMO, it is mistake to underestimate the importance of content presentation on the web; consumers do not view online content with the same biases and general pragmatism as programmers.
With the proliferation of true internet broadband, HD television, extremely realistic videogames, etc... the expectations for web content delivery have also risen, despite the relatively slow response from the web development community as whole.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
10% of 2% = potential lost revenues from those with Flash disabled.
This can hardly be considered as being significant, and is certainly not much of a reason to throw the baby out with the bath.
In this case, the limitations are voluntarily imposed by the user, and are not inherent to the API, as they would be if the site content were published in Windows-only format, or something to that effect.
True assessibility is a development objective in every API; it does not happen "automatically".

I concur that "wow" is subjective, and although http://www.760disc.com/ is a valid example of what can be done with AJAX coding, and the layout is beautiful, this example hardly qualifies for "wow" status, compared other plain vanilla "web2.0" AJAX sites, and is certainly not in the same class as an advanced AS3 application.
IMO, the most advanced interactive "eye-candy" features of this site are, at best, replications of extremely basic AS3 functions.
For example, the page transitions are abrupt with no easing whatsoever, and the rollovers are essentially no more advanced than basic javascript or CSS image-swapping.
I'm not implying that this site is not "good" in absolute terms, but it hardly qualifies as RIA, and I doubt that most visitors come away with the feeling that they've just experienced something out of the ordinary, which is what "wow" is all about.

IMO, it is mistake to underestimate the importance of content presentation on the web; consumers do not view online content with the same biases and general pragmatism as programmers.
With the proliferation of true internet broadband, HD television, extremely realistic videogames, etc... the expectations for web content delivery have also risen, despite the relatively slow response from the web development community as whole.

ok, you can make a website look good using a table based layout, however any real web developer will tell you that tables were never intended to be used for lay out, and should be avoided for (among other reasons) accessibility sake. With a little bit of CSS you can do anything a table can do and more. The same holds true for open web technologies. Flash is a cheap way of providing a "wow" factor to a handful of clients. The user of the site on the other hand WILL NOT get that same wow factor because it is pointless flair that gets in the way of content. Likewise causes problems for many users who
1. dont have flash installed
2. dont have the latest version of flash installed
3. turn flash off
4. require the assistance of a screen reader or other aid.

If someone took the time to write a decent website that was accessible you can still maintain a "wow" factor, and keep the visitors you loose due to frivolous animations and loading.

Flash was never designed and never should be used to create a whole website. There is nothing "wow" about having to wait 30 seconds for crap to fly around before I am able to use something on the site.

Using javascript and AJAX calls it is very easy to provide simple elegant page transitions, the iUI code that Joe Hewitt wrote for iPhone interfaces is a good example of this. If you simply write a javascript function that removes the href from a link on load then creates an onclick="callLink(link)" within the a tag. When that function callLink() is called you can make all your crap fly around if you still want to do that. then you can ease into link. This also retains accessibility because if the user has javascript disabled then the href is still there, making the page just as easy to navigate and use.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
I'm not a fan of Flash. I think it serves it's main purpose as an addition in small areas, ie Video Players, a cool banner, things like that. All flash sites are fun for a minute, but generally just tooo much.

I'm a big big big fan of clean and simple, I hate news websites as they just completely overload you with WAY too much information. The website home page needs to be a like a photograph; give me a focal point. I'll find your other information on the other pages as I want to find it. But, make sure it can be found.

These guys are always posting an ad for hiring new designers, and I really like their site: Jandaco

Apple fans, and great design: Cabedge

Good, clean design: Main10

And not to toot my own horn, but I quite like my site, I think I've done a good job of integrating my own CSS/XHTML, Pixelpost and Wordpress: unculturedswine.net

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
I know this isn't that crazy but I really like the relatively new redesign of Wordpress (both the site and the software). I love how simple yet stylish they were able to make it. Link

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.