Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Ive been there. Still there. lol My Macbook Pro was gotten the same way. lol

Yeah they only gave me a Toshiba, apparently you only get the MacBook Pro if you're on a course that requires it, no fair! I demand better free laptops! ;)

----------

You got an MBP for free? :(

If he got it the same way I did as he says, he got it from Student Finance because of DSA. Basically if you have any sort of disability you get a free laptop and a bunch of other stuff. If you're on a creative course like film studies that computer is a MBP, else it's a Toshiba like what I'm getting.

This isn't paid by the taxpayer though, Student Finance is the company we get our student loans from so we still technically pay for it once we start work and pay back our debt since it's financed by the loans. We don't pay any extra back though. If that makes sense.

macgeek18

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2009
Northern California
I'm using it sort of like a tablet right now. :rolleyes: Get through the verizon registration and it's like an android iPod touch.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 2,917

jm1.jonas

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2010
ipad2_review-1024x764.jpg

Won an 16gb wifi iPad 2 in a short film competition! It ended on december and i hadn't high hopes to win so a few weeks ago i orded an 16gb wifi ipad mini after i order it i got the email saying i won :p

I'll keep the mini and sell the ipad 2 to buy more camera gear!

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
A free stream of this on iTunes

Attachments

• Daft-Punk-Random-Access-Memories.png
    Daft-Punk-Random-Access-Memories.png
    477 KB · Views: 83

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Yeah they only gave me a Toshiba, apparently you only get the MacBook Pro if you're on a course that requires it, no fair! I demand better free laptops! ;)

----------

If he got it the same way I did as he says, he got it from Student Finance because of DSA. Basically if you have any sort of disability you get a free laptop and a bunch of other stuff. If you're on a creative course like film studies that computer is a MBP, else it's a Toshiba like what I'm getting.

This isn't paid by the taxpayer though, Student Finance is the company we get our student loans from so we still technically pay for it once we start work and pay back our debt since it's financed by the loans. We don't pay any extra back though. If that makes sense.

It makes total sense. Rent free student loans that you don't have to pay back unless you've got an employment are amazing, didn't know they existed :)

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
It makes total sense. Rent free student loans that you don't have to pay back unless you've got an employment are amazing, didn't know they existed :)

I don't know what you mean by "rent free", they do still have interest but the interest rate is low compared to a normal loan. But yes it is a sweet deal. Also if it's not all paid off after a certain amount of time the remainder just gets written off.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I don't know what you mean by "rent free", they do still have interest but the interest rate is low compared to a normal loan. But yes it is a sweet deal. Also if it's not all paid off after a certain amount of time the remainder just gets written off.

Jesus... I must have been so confused. I was reading an article about the ECBs interest rates in Dutch at the time, and interest rate in Dutch is "rente"... So I meant "interest free" :)

webslinger85

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
I house/dog-sat for my father a couple weeks ago while he and his fiance were in Cuba. And he gave me this as a thank you. It's actually pretty damn neat

e386aa64-41d3-4ce9-adcf-1fee983a84e8_zpsd826c53b.jpg

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Finished the MacBook Pro rebuild I've been working on. In a nutshell, I acquired a MacBook Pro (Early 2008) in excellent condition but sans logic board. I held on to it for spares, but a couple of months ago a replacement Logic Board of the same configuration turned up in the recycling pile, so I repaired it and returned it to service.

I posted this up a couple of months ago in this thread, but I recently came across a free NewerTech NuPower replacement battery for it in deep discharge. After letting a battery conditioner do its thing, it's back up to a stable 96% health. Turns out it only has 38 cycles on it. This machine now works like a dream. :)

eal8hh.jpg

Now I have another machine to work on. This one's a MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011) with a 2.4GHz Quad i7 Sandy Bridge CPU, 4GB 1333MHz Memory and the AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1GB video accelerator.

It does boot, but it doesn't run very well. The keyboard is corroded following a red wine spill and two tracks leading to the display backlight power feed on the Logic Board are showing an open circuit, but are receiving power, so it's only a broken trace. I'm confident that it's a repairable machine. Now just waiting to have the Logic Board repaired before I tackle replacing the keyboard assembly.

I'm actually considering selling off my 2012 MacBook Air if I can repair this Pro. The verdict is still out on that one.

2461htc.jpg

I wish I was smart enough to do stuff like that, I'd make a fortune.

M0esmac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
UK
I wish I was smart enough to do stuff like that, I'd make a fortune.

It is easy do this sorts of things when you are Apple Certified technician. :) I would do this type of repairing, but it is hard to find machines for spares like that, unless of course you are certified technician and those parts come and go every day, and you can grab whichever you want. ;)

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
It is easy do this sorts of things when you are Apple Certified technician. :) I would do this type of repairing, but it is hard to find machines for spares like that, unless of course you are certified technician and those parts come and go every day, and you can grab whichever you want. ;)

I tried to do a business a bit like that once, buying broken laptops and phones off eBay, fixing them, and selling them on, but the problem I found is that often the exact fault isn't that you'd expect, so you'd end up having to spend more money than it's worth to fix it. I gave that up pretty quickly.

Of course if you have all the parts anyway you're sorted :p

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Hot air balloon ride; late birthday present from some friends and girlfriend. Totally unexpected.

Attachments

• IMG_0173.jpg
    IMG_0173.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0174.JPG
    IMG_0174.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 104

Dctape

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2007
Went out for dinner Saturday night with the wife and the place was having a "Sam Adams takeover" which included a bunch of stuff that normally isn't available this time of year (or on tap). Had a half price Chocolate Bock after dinner and made a big case out of how I'd not seen a glass like this. The waiter said he'd go talk to his manager. He came back a few minutes later with an empty bag and said the manager had sent it over "for my leftovers...if you know what I mean...".

-M

Attachments

• 2013-05-25 17.53.02.jpg
    2013-05-25 17.53.02.jpg
    995.2 KB · Views: 105
  • 2013-05-25 17.53.23.jpg
    2013-05-25 17.53.23.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 77
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.