Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Speedracer04

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
I didnt see a thread on this....so if there is already one sorry :rolleyes:

Go to http://www.inetworktest.com to test your iPhone 3G speeds:

I live in South-east Michigan and ive run a few 3G speed tests, my average is right around 400kb/s.

What is everyone else's speeds?

olliebraves20

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2007
Lansing, MI
My speeds are about 380-400 as well. I live in Lansing...we just finally got 3G about one week ago....I get pretty good averages as live about one block with clear line of site to a tower.....

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
I wish there was a sticky for this, so we could post to it daily and everyone could get an idea of how the network works in or around where they live.

Rybold

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2008
California, USA
"Today, I got in my car and drove around my neighborhood. There is a 3G antenna about half a mile from my house. I noticed, in driving towards the antenna, driving away from the antenna, and around my neighborhood and surrounding streets that signal strength (the number of bars displayed on the phone) can vary significantly depending on surrounding houses, buildings, telephone poles, UPS trucks parked on the side of the road, and just about anything that contains metal. In some spots, I noticed the signal drop from 5 bars down to 2 bars just by moving 20 feet. I noticed that when my car was driving toward the 3G antenna (only the windshield of my car between phone and cell tower) the signal was usually 4 or 5 bars, yet when I was driving away from the 3G antenna the signal was usually about 2 bars. I live on a hilly area, and I noticed 5 bars in all of the high spots and 2 bars in most of the low spots. In some locations, when I would have thought the signal to be one bar, it was mysteriously 5 bars, and in other locations when I expected 5 bars, it was only 3 or 2 bars. In conclusion, the number of bars on your phone can vary significantly based on many different factors of your surroundings; so don't whine too much that you only have 2 bars at your house when your buddy 20 miles away has 5 bars - maybe it's because of the immediate surroundings of your houses that is creating the difference, and not the cell tower. In my own experience, I have noticed no obvious difference in speed between 2 bars or 5 bars. Maybe a quantified internet speed test will show a difference; but to the human brain, the speed seems the same between 2 bars and 5 bars of 3G ... at least for my brain. :) "
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=6119130&posted=1#post6119130

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.