Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
I thought this would be a fun opportunity for people to post their /Applications folder (preferably in list view) and share what applications they had installed. We can all learn about new applications this way too.
Picture 6.png

Mines REALLY basic so far, I just installed Leopard yesterday. :D

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'll bite.

I don't necessarily use everything in here and many of the apps are really old. Unless an app is causing me a problem I don't usually uninstall it though. So…stuff collects.

You didn't say the Utilities folder though so there's stuff I have in there as well that usually install to the Applications folder.

Applications 5.png
Applications 4.png
Applications 3.png
Applications 2.png
Applications.png

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
I'll bite.

I don't necessarily use everything in here and many of the apps are really old. Unless an app is causing me a problem I don't usually uninstall it though. So…stuff collects.

You didn't say the Utilities folder though so there's stuff I have in there as well that usually install to the Applications folder.

View attachment 693515 View attachment 693516 View attachment 693517 View attachment 693518 View attachment 693519

Good lord that's a lot of stuff. Five versions of Acrobat? Geeezzzz

Reactions: eyoungren

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
The Applications folder on my G4 Cube is the only one I can really show off. Some of these apps date from my first Tiger install on the Sawtooth back in 2014. Adobe CS4 is a more recent addition though, I intend to try it out after I upgrade the graphics card (currently a GeForce 2MX). Not replacing CS6 on my modern Mac, but still nice to be able to accomplish so much on 17-year-old hardware.
G4 Cube Apps.png

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
I'll bite.

View attachment 693515 View attachment 693516 View attachment 693517 View attachment 693518 View attachment 693519

Oh, this is the Holy Gral to spend hours and hours to look after those misteriously sounding progs I've never heard of before...
It all feels like the day I got my first ever Mac in 2009 (a 13"MacBookPro) which came with Leopard...
So back to the roots ... (which in my case are likewise still more on the surface compared to other macOS-veterans)
Unfortunately a lot of old computer stuff is vanishing...
I'm really curious to find progs for my 1st gen Clamshells and os9 ... Macintoshgarden is a great source, but there's certainly much more hidden somewhere ...
Same with PalmOS. Almost every source vanished. I could feel like an archivist, looking at my shoeboxes of devices and software, after most of developers went to limbo leaving no tracks at all...
Well, great adventure too - stamp collectors might be jealous, since the items we're looking for are not only "still lives".

QSDP-User

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2015
California, USA
My daily drivers have plain vanilla folder listings so here's a 20-yr-old PM6500 (OS 8.1)
[G3 300 upgrade, 128 MB maxed out RAM, 14GB Compact Flash (IDE to CF adapter), 2MB VRAM]
hooked up to an old KDS 17" LCD ($5 Craiglisting) @ 640x480 75MHz:

Applications.jpg

Internet.jpg

Utilities.jpg

The rez does seem kinda hard on the eyes IMO.
The newer folder dates are mainly from changing the default folder plain icon (via copy/paste Info)
into a more modern-like application icon.
The "1337" internet utilities & ircle are too leety for me to deal with at this point.
Norton Tools was mainly used for Speed Disk when I had a IDE HDD inside.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Even his Utilities folder takes 3 screenshots...
I've had this install since OS X 10.2.8. Things over the years have kind of merged and forked and back again from the stuff on my own Macs and the stuff on my work Mac.

It's gone from Jag to Panther to Tiger and then Leopard. I don't delete things when I no longer need them because sometimes this stuff is hard to find again and I like to have it if I ever DO need it again.

So, there's stuff in there that I used years ago but don't use now and crap I've forgotten about.

The upshot is that sometimes forum members are looking for things and I happen to have it. I usually burn a disk of my downloads folder periodically as well so I've got stuff all the way back to 1999.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
:eek::eek::eek:
Hoarding Definition
By Mayo Clinic Staff

Hoarding disorder is a persistent difficulty discarding or parting with possessions because of a perceived need to save them.
:D
Yes, yes. I probably meet that definition when it comes to tech. :)

I don't however fall into that classification when it comes to the majority of other things. You'll never see us on an episode of 'Hoarders' for instance.

Just tossed out an old coffemaker this past week because we replaced it with a new one. Still worked, just wasn't making good coffee. A hoarder would have kept it. :D

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
:eek::eek::eek:
Hoarding Definition
By Mayo Clinic Staff

Hoarding disorder is a persistent difficulty discarding or parting with possessions because of a perceived need to save them.
:D

Jesus, my wife got to you didnt she?

Another one of her favorites she uses to describe my collections @ 3:30

All married men need the Canoga beer clock equivalent :D

Last edited:

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Been using the Power Mac for a few days, but it's still really basic. ;)
Picture 3.png

(I've still got to install iLife and iWork... I'm a huge procrastinator when it comes to things besides PPC software releases btw, but I'm even procrastinating on that Tiger Sierra Theme)

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Cool! Out of curiosity, what is the "App Store" application? Foxbox of the Archive, PPCStore, PPCAppStore, Leopard Market (fat chance), what?
[doublepost=1490825582][/doublepost]
The Applications folder on my G4 Cube is the only one I can really show off. Some of these apps date from my first Tiger install on the Sawtooth back in 2014. Adobe CS4 is a more recent addition though, I intend to try it out after I upgrade the graphics card (currently a GeForce 2MX). Not replacing CS6 on my modern Mac, but still nice to be able to accomplish so much on 17-year-old hardware.
View attachment 693580
What does PopOutPlayer do? Worth checking out?

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
An experiment: introducing the PopOutPlayer interesting project meant to provide an alternative for Picture-in-Picture on PowerPC Macs running Tiger or Leopard. The catch is it uses the antiquated Flash Player.

Have you had any success with it?
Like Quicktime Enabler, for me it rejects 99% videos - I had most success with a fresh install of TFF - adding the necessary tweaks kills them off again.
Performance wise, I think it's better suited to G5s only.

mmphosis

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2017
Applications.png

Pretty boring. More Applications are lurking in other hidden corners, like ...

the "Utilities" folder which is also boring on my Mac, but there are also other folders and sub-folders ...

/Developer (ie. "XCode")

/System/Library/CoreServices (ie. "Screen Sharing")

~/Applications

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.