Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jamie's_Tech

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2021
IMG_9079.jpeg
Gordon Ramsey’s “perfect steak”, triple cooked chips and homemade sauce. With a mushroom too!

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
For give me for asking, but what exactly is "scrapple"?
Scrapple, also known by the Pennsylvania Dutch name Pannhaas, is traditionally a mush of pork scraps and trimmings combined with cornmeal and wheat flour, often buckwheat flour, and spices. The mush is formed into a semi-solid set loaf, and slices of the scrapple are then pan-fried before serving. Wikipedia

My local grocer carries it, but as it contains gluten, I dare not try it.

Seems like a local version of haggis: Haggis is a savoury pudding containing sheep's pluck, minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and cooked while traditionally encased in the animal's stomach though now an artificial casing is often used instead. Wikipedia

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Scrapple, also known by the Pennsylvania Dutch name Pannhaas, is traditionally a mush of pork scraps and trimmings combined with cornmeal and wheat flour, often buckwheat flour, and spices. The mush is formed into a semi-solid set loaf, and slices of the scrapple are then pan-fried before serving. Wikipedia

My local grocer carries it, but as it contains gluten, I dare not try it.

Seems like a local version of haggis: Haggis is a savoury pudding containing sheep's pluck, minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and cooked while traditionally encased in the animal's stomach though now an artificial casing is often used instead. Wikipedia
Ah, thanks for your (very welcome) explanation; much appreciated.

I had understood the description of five scrambled eggs with bacon, cheese, sausage and potatoes, but the mention of that last ingredient left me completely baffled.

As I'm from the British Isles, I do understand references to haggis (a very divisive - some love it, others loathe it - Scottish seasonal specialty).

Reactions: millerj123

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
And, while I hesitate to ask, I still feel compelled to ask, what exactly is a pork-roll?

This is not a term I have come across, although I can make an educated guess at its composition.
Another Pennsylvania specialty, processed pork in roll form as far as I can tell, not being a pork aficionado, but living in PA. Kind of like bologna cold cuts. These are more rural PA offerings then the ubiquitous cheesesteak, but many Philly restaurants offer scrapple at least on the brunch menu.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Another Pennsylvania specialty, processed pork in roll form as far as I can tell, not being a pork aficionado, but living in PA. Kind of like bologna cold cuts. These are more rural PA offerings then the ubiquitous cheesesteak, but many Philly restaurants offer scrapple at least on the brunch menu.
Well, not only am I not from Pennsylvania, but I am not even American, hence, some of these terms are completely unknown to me.

Thank you for the explanation.

Mellofello808

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
Birthday lunch yesterday.

Both Starbucks, and Jersey mikes have generous promotions that give you a free drink m, and a free sandwich for your birthday.

Ended up with a shaken oat milk, and brown sugar espresso drink from Starbucks.

From Jersey Mike's I ended up with their classic Italian sandwich loaded with cured meats, and ham.

Total cost $0.00
523664f98e4d79a8b1dc76b17a3f86f7.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.