Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sleepydinosaur

Suspended
Oct 31, 2009
Got rid of the Keurig:

399934a58873058fadc96feff01ef164.jpg
Thats doing it right!
[doublepost=1483113753][/doublepost]
I at once considered a French Press, but I find the residue it leaves behind a bit much.
Make sure you are brewing with a coarser grind. While you will still have sediment at the bottom, it sholdn't be too much. You'll definitely want to be not as fine as drip or pour over.

Fozzybadfeet

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2009
Thats doing it right!
[doublepost=1483113753][/doublepost]
Make sure you are brewing with a coarser grind. While you will still have sediment at the bottom, it sholdn't be too much. You'll definitely want to be not as fine as drip or pour over.
Good tip...I've been using a French Press lately and I love the technique and taste of my coffee.

If I'm in a hurry, I use a kuerig and a re-usable K-cup.

Reactions: sleepydinosaur

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Good tip...I've been using a French Press lately and I love the technique and taste of my coffee.

If I'm in a hurry, I use a kuerig and a re-usable K-cup.

Yes, a fairly coarse grind will work well for a French Press; you can get away with reasonably coarse grind for a dripper coffee, too, but the French Press method is probably the easiest and most forgiving way there is, of making, or preparing, a cup, (or pot) of coffee.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
french press is the way to go. when we were in Hawaii in October, i bought like 4lbs of 100% Kona coffee (some peabody as well) - and they all said only do french press.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Oldie on the site, just discovered this thread.. I've finally been venturing out of the 'Mac only' threads.
Either way.

I had been wanting a good coffee / espresso setup that was fairly simple. I ended up with the Breville Oracle.
This thing is me for sure. LOVE it.

View attachment 681312

Nice set-up and I hope you enjoy it.

Why don't you pop over and pay a visit to the "espresso enthusiasts" thread?

At 340 pages - (yes, you read that correctly), it is a warm, welcoming place and a most congenial and easy-going haven. More to the point, it is something of a coffee lovers paradise - and - despite the thread title - it doesn't confine discussions to espresso; anything and everything to do with coffee is welcomed and discussed.

Reactions: mmomega

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It's not fancy, but it works for me :)

View attachment 684944

Agreed. I'm currently on Amazon looking for a new press that better holds in heat. Perhaps double-wall stainless?

I had a Bialetti French Press which was rather good; I left it with colleagues at the end of a deployment where I was abroad for the best part of two years.

However, for heat retention, the very best I have ever had is the stoneware Le Creuset I currently use.

That does need to be pre-heated, but it holds heat extraordinarily well.

If you get one post a picture of it.

Agreed.

Or - @ardchoille50 why not post a picture of the ones you are thinking about buying.

Reactions: ardchoille50

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I had a Bialetti French Press which was rather good; I left it with colleagues at the end of a deployment where I was abroad for the best part of two years.

However, for heat retention, the very best I have ever had is the stoneware Le Creuset I currently use.

That does need to be pre-heated, but it holds heat extraordinarily well.

Agreed.

Or - @ardchoille50 why not post a picture of the ones you are thinking about buying.
Funny you should mention Bialetti, I added this one to my wish list yesterday: Bialetti Preziosa 8 Cup French Press Coffee Maker

I discarded the idea of a double-walled coffee press after realizing I already had a double-walled carafe.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

valhopkins

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2009
oc
I use my French press when I'm making coffee just for myself, especially when camping (which is almost all the time, since I've lived in my RV for almost 20 years. I have a small FP I use for making espresso drinks, and a large stainless steel carafe FP for coffee. At my mom's, she makes coffee with her Ninja, and I make espresso based drinks with our DeLonghi auto pump espresso machine. I normally use my magic bullet to grind my beans, and use a standard coffee grinder at my mom's. I used to have a coffee bar setup in my 20's, but don't have one now, although I'm going to create one after I renovate my kitchen.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

lauramayer

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2016
I use my French press when I'm making coffee just for myself, especially when camping (which is almost all the time, since I've lived in my RV for almost 20 years. I have a small FP I use for making espresso drinks, and a large stainless steel carafe FP for coffee. At my mom's, she makes coffee with her Ninja, and I make espresso based drinks with our DeLonghi auto pump espresso machine. I normally use my magic bullet to grind my beans, and use a standard coffee grinder at my mom's. I used to have a coffee bar setup in my 20's, but don't have one now, although I'm going to create one after I renovate my kitchen.

I wonder how you find MacRoumors how is your connection to us community:).

Sounds interesting. You lived 20 years in a RV? Like a trailer park home?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yes, when making coffee for oneself - or a trouble free way of making it for someone else - the dripper method (Hario dripper) or French press tend to be by far the most forgiving methods.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.