Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Getting an early jump on April...

2018-04.jpg

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
A photo set of the free party "FUJITAWA" which took place at Les Choux near Orléans, France, and lasted from March 30th to April 2nd
Organized by the Collectif des Insoumis
And, all I can say is that It was freaking wild if you don't mind the mud
1522883163-capture-d-ecran-2018-04-05-a-00-49-23.png

At first glance this first photo for some reason reminds me of that battle scene from Afro Samurai 2 in the village with the concert.

Reactions: Antares23

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
@dvvdv I prefer the lower screenshot.

I've begun updating my Tiger-esque theme after it's been neglected since March of this year. Adding the "Graphite" elements. But first I need to make radio buttons for the thing. Perhaps even brighten the scrollbars a bit.
Screenshot_dujour.jpg

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
I figure this may be a good place to ask this question:

Recently, I discovered that you cannot perform a fraction of the UI customizations that older versions of macOS allowed. I have not used Macs in a long time, and have read that this began in El Capitan due to a new signature being implemented on to not only system based icons but Apple applications as well.

Is there a workaround for this? Or can I genuinely not change the icons of things like the Applications Folder, Safari, iTunes, Finder, Trash Can, etc. None of my old methods seem to work, but admittedly I am out of practice.

Here is an example of one of my old desktops just to reinforce what I am talking about, to see if its possible:

desktop062015.png

Thanks everyone.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
@Dark Void it's possible to change app icons using LiteIcon from http://freemacsoft.net/liteicon/

For the folders you would have to turn off SIP (SystemIntegrityProtection) using "csrutil disable" in the Terminal on your Recovery Partition to allow LiteIcon to change those. You can turn SIP on again with "csrutil enable" after you've changed icons, but you'll have to turn off SIP again to change to some new icon set. Welcome to reboot Hell. I leave SIP off all the time.

LiteIcon is great in telling you what it can do and can't do on its first launch. I must admit that the exact text escapes me as I turn off SIP at the most earliest I can if I've cleared the PRAM using Command-Alt+P+R on reboot - which also will return SIP to it's enabled state. I only do this once in a blue moon or if if I get tired of customizing and I want to return to a clean state. Then I return SIP to its enabled state.

Reactions: Dark Void

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
@allan.nyholm Oh, thank you very much! I will try this later on.

I used to use LiteIcon all of the time, glad to see it still exists and has an up-to-date version. So just to clarify: type csrutil disable (with or without quotes?) into terminal, and then if I turn it back on, will I have issues with rebooting? Or did you mean that the computer requires a reboot after making this change? I don't mind having to change the setting each time I want to change icons.

Is there any downside to leaving SIP off as you do?

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
@allan.nyholm Oh, thank you very much! I will try this later on.

I used to use LiteIcon all of the time, glad to see it still exists and has an up-to-date version. So just to clarify: type csrutil disable (with or without quotes?) into terminal, and then if I turn it back on, will I have issues with rebooting? Or did you mean that the computer requires a reboot after making this change? I don't mind having to change the setting each time I want to change icons.

Is there any downside to leaving SIP off as you do?

csrutil disable
- no quotes. I haven't experienced any issues but the one down the text - though I'll likely never really know what its like using a Mac with SIP turned on for an extended period of time .. the whole OS is open for me to interact with and I enjoy that. I can't stop changing files or modding my OS so for me to reboot to change SIP ...no, it's not going to happen.

For the purpose of installing any Dock theme - MySIMBL has to be installed alongside cDock. Those require SIP to be turned off also. Also disabling AMFI(in the case of MySIMBL) using:
nvram boot-args="amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1"
this time with quotes. It's what I do anyways. MySIMBL explains that it has to be turned off for some injection to happen. And what else to do than disable AMFI :D

clears the nvram and returns AMFI to it's original state.

You could use ActiveDock that doesn't require SIP to be turned off. From http://www.noteifyapp.com/activedock/

It doesn't have the whole features set of the Dock just yet but it's in active development. The beta updates are strong with this one.

With regards to issues - I experience only one that I don't know if its the fact that I use an external SSD for booting and contains macOS High Sierra; It takes a little while longer for me to boot - It could also be a mind trick thing where I believe that SIP has that much power over me.

One more issue is that injection is easier with SIP off. I haven't experienced any system injection other than what I inject myself - I feel I can work around most stuff using tools that help monitor injections from the outside world like those from https://objective-see.com and using anti-malware from malwarebytes. Though nothing ever activates these.

csrutil enable --without fs
might work in the case of LiteIcon - but I just turn everything off.

There's also other csrutil options for you to try;

(From a user on Apple Support forums named Max)

If you run csrutil status, even while booted normally,

you will see the component parts of it. Each of these can be selectively disabled by running one of the following commands while booted into Recovery mode:
  • csrutil status shows the current status of System Integrity Protection)
  • csrutil enable --no-internal
  • csrutil enable --without kext
  • csrutil enable --without fs
  • csrutil enable --without debug
  • csrutil enable --without dtrace
  • csrutil enable --without nvram

You can disable two or more components by structuring the command as follows:
  • csrutil enable --without kext --without debug

Last edited:
Reactions: Dark Void

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
@allan.nyholm Sir, thank you very much for all of the information. At first, I was really disappointed to learn that customization had seemingly been done away with, without looking for a look around. I appreciate your thorough and quick responses. You have restored my desire to customize. :D

Glad to see these apps still exist. I have used both LiteIcon and cDock before. However, I don't mind the dock so much with these newer OS versions. You can make it black and flat looking even on the bottom now, which is great. I don't like the "3D" or "metallic" looking docks personally.

Thanks again buddy, would like your posts twice if I could.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.