Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Post Your Desktop: January 2021

dwfaust

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Good riddance to 2020 and all it brought... here's to a new start and a great new year!

2021-01.jpg

Last edited:

Royksöpp

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2013
macOS Big Sur took a bunch of huge farts, so I spent my night rolling it back. Did a recovery all the way back to Mavericks.

View attachment 1704792

Mavericks was the ultimate refinement of Mac OS X. I was just thinking about it earlier today actually. I thought of how much I missed the old interface. Everything was just perfect. Yosemite and Big Sur will never really be able to compare to it. Call me old fashioned, but I prefer Skeuomorphism over flat design any day.

Comment

imDanish

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2014
Denmark
Mavericks was the ultimate refinement of Mac OS X. I was just thinking about it earlier today actually. I thought of how much I missed the old interface. Everything was just perfect. Yosemite and Big Sur will never really be able to compare to it. Call me old fashioned, but I prefer Skeuomorphism over flat design any day.
Oh, how I miss iTunes! :rolleyes: Never really learned to like the new Music-app.

Comment

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here

I love the OS X Snow Leopard and Leopard background and they work extremely well with dark mode. If most of the web wasn't still light-mode stark white I'd use this combo more often, but I had having a dark environment and then doing any web work.

Mavericks remains my favorite OS X release to date. It focused on refinement for things like CPU usage and RAM utilization, fixed longstanding bugs like the multi-monitor full screen spaces issue, and (in my opinion) struck a near perfect balance between excessive skeuomorphism (Mountain Lion) and a generic OS. I know some people love Big Sur (including me somewhat), but I don't recall ever hearing about usability issues before macOS took it's iOS 7 redesign after Mavericks.

Oh, how I miss iTunes! :rolleyes: Never really learned to like the new Music-app.

On a Mac, I've never understood the hate for iTunes. Yes it did a lot, but I only ever used the Music, TV, and Movie mode and had no issues. On an SSD it opened in one bounce and was less buggy in the 9 years I used it before the Music.app than the Catalina/Big Sur Music app has been in the last year.

Reactions: Royksöpp
Comment

buttongerald

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2016
St. John's, Newfoundland
I too, miss iTunes. For me the peak of iTunes was when they added movies and video podcasts. The app was great then. I did everything it needed to quickly and looked great. Shame those days didn't last. Apple ended up bogging it down like it was developed by Adobe.

If I could stay on Mavericks I would, but alas, technology moves forward. Plus none of the applications I use on the daily work with it.

Comment

allan.nyholm

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
My desktop currently - basically a mashup and mockup of a work in progress of making Big Sur something let's say .... else?

Working theme btw. For Retina Macs because I don't have anything else. Btw. If you're ready for a little testing then don't hesitate to write me a letter. Or a comment.
I have some things with the dark mode in particular on Big Sur that doesn't work quite as I expected it - meaning Graphite takes, but not Blue(Aqua) If Accessibility is turned on then dark mode for Blue appearance works. So there's that. A headscratcher.

Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 06.56.35.jpg

Comment

mikiotty

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2014
Rome, Italy
Here is my freshly "upgraded" Late 2007 15" MacBook Pro. I just swapped the upgraded keyboard and the multitouch trackpad from a dead Late 2008 17" I had lying around. The trackpad makes everything so much nicer to use.
I actually prefer this over my 13" 2013 Retina MacBook Pro!

Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 18.47.12.png

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.