Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should we keep our picture gallery threads clean of NSFW photos?

• Yes

Votes: 31 16.6%
  • No

Votes: 121 64.7%
  • In-between - maybe something like a separate thread

Votes: 44 23.5%

• Total voters

aaagat111

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
St. Louis, MO
As a member of Macrumors forums for quite some time, I have loved browsing though the Picture Gallery threads, specifically the desktop threads as it inspired new wallpapers, gives me an idea of what apps people use, and shows uff desktop customization tools such as GeekTool.

BUT, in the past 2 years I have been very disappointed with the increase in NSFW photos across these threads. For people like myself that view these forums at work, on the go, and at home, I think having threads that include NSFW photos just makes it awkward for all of us to enjoy them wherever we are.

Because of photos like this, I, and I'm sure many others, have to instead view these threads in the privacy of our own offices or homes just because someone posts a desktop with a scantly clad female.

I think it would benefit the community as a whole by censoring these type of posts, and maybe even including them in a separate thread if people still felt that they wanted to post them.

I wanted to make a public statement and poll asking what the members of Macrumors think of this. Do people care about including NSFW photos in threads such as "Post your desktop", or is this something only I feel should warrant censorship?

What do people think...I am open to hearing other's thoughts.

Thank You

jwingfie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2008
Athens, GA
I have never had a NSFW picture as my desktop, but I don't have a problem with it being posted. In the first 4 pages of this months thread, there has been one "nsfw" picture that I honestly wouldn't be afraid to look at in front of my mom.

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
this is a non issue. I've never seen anything that bad on these forums. I've probably read posts that are far more offensive than the things in the picture forums.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Then just don't look at it when you're at work. You're supposed to be working anyway, not looking at picture threads...

:rolleyes:

And obviously the people who think that the moment a NSFW picture pops out of nowhere that it makes the person viewing it bad, need to get over it. That's just how the internet works, and obviously there are millions who like putting stuff like that all over their phone and computers. I don't get it either, but whatever, I'm not going to argue against it because there are more important things in life to worry about.

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
A better solution is - don't browse desktop threads at work.
Exactly. If a possible half naked person is a problem at work - don't browse the thread at work.

With that said - I tend to avoid nekid people as desktop wallpapers myself - my teenage daughters would probably roll their eyes at me more than they already do if they saw them.

Josh220

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
Not suitable for work? Perhaps don't view those at work...

Be thankful that they are labeled. The choice thereafter is up to you, whether you choose to view them in inappropriate settings or not.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Then just don't look at it when you're at work. You're supposed to be working anyway, not looking at picture threads...

:rolleyes:

And obviously the people who think that the moment a NSFW picture pops out of nowhere that it makes the person viewing it bad, need to get over it. That's just how the internet works, and obviously there are millions who like putting stuff like that all over their phone and computers. I don't get it either, but whatever, I'm not going to argue against it because there are more important things in life to worry about.

Some of us like to spend our lunch breaks at work browsing MacRumors, so I can definitely see the issue.

In a workplace, it's not always so easy to tell your boss or colleagues to "get over it". Not if you want to keep your job or have a comfortable working environment at any rate.

Dctape

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2007
Sorry, but that is your risk to take. The thread is CLEARLY marked "NSFW'. You choose to proceed knowing what might be there.

bobfitz14

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2008
Massachusetts
BUT, in the past 2 years I have been very disappointed with the increase in NSFW photos across these threads. For people like myself that view these forums at work, on the go, and at home, I think having threads that include NSFW photos just makes it awkward for all of us to enjoy them wherever we are.

Because of photos like this, I, and I'm sure many others, have to instead view these threads in the privacy of our own offices or homes just because someone posts a desktop with a scantly clad female.

my first question for you is why are you on MR while you're at work? is it related to what you do in any way or is it just for pleasure? if you are lucky enough to have your own office just turn your monitor away from the doorway. problem solved.

also, viewing MR on the go is not an issue so don't make it one. Who cares what people on the train see? There definitely is not an extensive amount of NSFW content, no one is going to think you are a pervert. Just keep scrolling.

last, why do you think the term NSFW exists in the first place?

aaagat111

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
St. Louis, MO
While I can certainly see everyone's point and I agree that it's not for everyone's work i think people are getting caught up on a subpoint of my discussion.

I did not want to discuss whether NSFW photos were appropriate at work...since based on this sentence it's really not a hard argument to win.

I was simply pointing out that I look at these threads at places other than in my own room. This could be on the subway, on the train, around the house where there is family, really anywhere in public, or....at work. The work thing really though has little to do with my general point, of having our desktops threads having NSFW photos increase over the past 5 years. I just question why this is. 5 years ago there was never a NSFW label on any of our threads.

But, I am willing to listen to others even if I disagree. It seems this is a feature people are looking for when they browse desktop wallpaper threads...not my thing but that's ok.

Thanks for all the responses though!

quicksilver77

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2005
Nova Scotia, Canada
I am going to assume you are referring to my desktop that I posted in the October Desktop thread. Can someone please post a definition of what is NSFW? A woman in a bra? A man in a banana hammock? A cat in a bikini? I am not sure who you could police that type of post. If the mods want to pay attention to this then my all means I will abide by the rules that THEY set. Until then I will post in the Desktop threads. If they choose to make a NSFW desktop thread and CLEARY tell me what is NSFW I will post there if I can actually define my desktop as NSFW.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
This poll is awesome for those who can't decide, just select all the options and go! :D

Thrilledge

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
Why do we need to put the clamps down on users? If you're at a place where you can't see certain things. Then don't open the Picture Gallery threads there.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Why do we need to put the clamps down on users? If you're at a place where you can't see certain things. Then don't open the Picture Gallery threads there.

Exactly. There's really no reason to change things. Even if you want to browse at work you should skip any NSFW threads if they'll be an issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.