Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
I wish I could draw like you..!!

I am also guesstimating you work with 3d modelling/sculpting software

Thank you! Just keep practicing, you certainly got the talent. :)

I have learned Cinema 4D a couple of years ago and done some stuff with it, but right now I'm more than ever into traditional drawing - less technical, more relaxing. I need to be accurate enough at my day job as a graphic designer.

Here is something I did last weekend:

Attachments

• Skizze_10.jpg
    Skizze_10.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 302

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
one done 1,5 week ago on an ipad mini and a bamboo touchscreen pen

mood of the day by needfx, on Flickr

----------

Thank you! Just keep practicing, you certainly got the talent. :)

I'm a loooong way from talent but thank you kindly

I have learned Cinema 4D a couple of years ago and done some stuff with it, but right now I'm more than ever into traditional drawing - less technical, more relaxing. I need to be accurate enough at my day job as a graphic designer.

strange, I pegged you for a zbrushist

Here is something I did last weekend:

I did not see that head hanging there until the last minute

creeped me out :eek:

AngerDanger

Graphics
Original poster
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
If I can find the requisite self-discipline, I will start working on a heavily rotoscoped music video. Until I have some frames to post, here is yet another comic:

ygPVOvS.png

(I've been posing these asynchronously, so this is actually the second one)

AngerDanger

Graphics
Original poster
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I've been busy attempting to program a watch face for the Pebble, but here's something I did this morning based on the iPhone 6 leaks which seem to depict it as being rounder and rounder. As it turns out, I'm almost useless without the aid of a computer:

Due to my lack of forethought, the iPhone 6's screen will revert back to the 2x3 ratio, apparently. :eek:

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Playing/testing/sketching with some new digital brushes I bought for Manga Studio 5 by Daub -"inks & pigments" set. Why yes, that lion IS from Señor Apple Fan Boy's photo on the Daily Photo thread, I think.

Daub's brush set is very tasty, so's MS5's drawing engine. Brush set is slightly reckless & out-of-control like real watercolors.

Attachments

• Lion Drawing Va.jpg
    Lion Drawing Va.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 231
  • Va playing w MS5 Daub brushes-2.jpg
    Va playing w MS5 Daub brushes-2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 291
Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Playing/testing/sketching with some new digital brushes I bought for Manga Studio 5 by Daub -"inks & pigments" set. Why yes, that lion IS from Señor Apple Fan Boy's photo on the Daily Photo thread, I think.

Daub's brush set is very tasty, so's MS5's drawing engine. Brush set is slightly reckless & out-of-control like real watercolors.

I thought he looked familiar! Good job.

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020

Nice Lion! How big do you make your drawings in Manga Studio? I like it's drawing engine too, but when I make a canvas bigger than about 3-4000 px the brush lags like crazy, and that's on the pretty powerful Mac Pro in my sig. I have no problems even with 10000+ px pictures in Photoshop.

This weekend:

Attachments

• Skizze 1.jpg
    Skizze 1.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 261

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
I thought he looked familiar! Good job.
Thank you.

Nice Lion! How big do you make your drawings in Manga Studio? I like it's drawing engine too, but when I make a canvas bigger than about 3-4000 px the brush lags like crazy, and that's on the pretty powerful Mac Pro in my sig. I have no problems even with 10000+ px pictures in Photoshop.

Thank you Chaosbunny. This image is 300 res, 1800 x 1100 px, 18Mb file size. I know what you mean about brush lag, I had it constantly in the beginning in SL & that's why I had to upgrade to ML & later Mavericks. I still get it sometimes but I think it depends on the type of brush & some other factors like working at 600 res &/or having Safari open. According to Ray Frenden, Safari and any other open apps which use webkit cause brush lag in MS5/Clip Studio on Macs. I've also read on the MS5 forums that brushes made with texture patterns can be pretty laggy too. The brushes I used for this doodle made by Daub apparently are made without the texture pattern files yet are still pretty analog looking.

I totally love drawing in MS5, it feels real. But after a while I feel thwarted by all the fine-tuning options and other UI stuff & then drag a PNG into Pixelmator to continue working. I'm really used to Pixelmator now so I don't even have to really stop & think about what I'm doing to get what I want. Manga Studio 5 is as powerful as Photoshop but I just don't know it well enough yet.

I had CS2 and I did have quite a bit of lagging in it with SL. A friend's given me CS3 but I haven't even tried it yet because I like Pixelmator, MS5, iDraw, etc., so much better now.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA

WOW, those brushes sure work fantastic!

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
WiP. Broke a toe on an APC ups the very first thing this morning.
MS5, Frenden pencil, Huion 610 tablet.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-04 at 4.09.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-04 at 4.09.04 PM.png
    295.7 KB · Views: 243

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
WOW, those brushes sure work fantastic!

They are wonderfully analog and even feel really good, which is weird for a stylus and tablet which don't change. All the nicely tuned digital brushes seem to have that sensation.

If you have Ps (CS 5 or later) and haven't tried Kyle T. Webster's analog-like brushes, you're missing a treat. Same for Frenden's Ps & MS5 brush sets. So much good stuff, sigh.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
I used to be good at art. It's like my hands have switched sides.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 237

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Screen Shot 2014-08-09 at 8.25.16 AM.png

And then the eyes and nose have turned into this (so far}...

Screen Shot 2014-08-09 at 8.27.32 AM.png

EDIT: And then the last one for today. A portrait of myself I just finished. Not sure whether I'll color it or not yet.

ipad1.png

Last edited:

AngerDanger

Graphics
Original poster
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I was heavy on the 'doodle' today and light on the 'quality'. A potential future watch face to make following the completion of a configuration menu for my current one. Also, an odd diagram of somebody looking at a clock while in bed:

4Kx4nwq.jpg

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
How's my drawing skills? don't lie to me! :apple:

View attachment 486358

You drew a picture of someone drowning! :eek:

What app did you use? You can get an interesting effect with the highlighters, I probably wouldn't have drawn the lines at the top and right of the sun, but continue at the edges and working your way in. Probably play with brush sizes and if there's an orange option, mix that in too.

Same thing with the grass. Draw some small lines scattered all over it too. to make it more authentic. Probably would get better results using a smaller brush for the waves too. At least for the top waves. Using the eraser and "erasing" little waves would be a nice touch and help to draw attention away from the overlapping of blues.

You asked for an opinion, and I gave you suggestions. There! :p It's a good start, I bet you could draw better with something like Sketchbook Pro though. :)

I was heavy on the 'doodle' today and light on the 'quality'. A potential future watch face to make following the completion of a configuration menu for my current one. Also, an odd diagram of somebody looking at a clock while in bed:

Why is his body hanging out of the bed. Must have been a huge party last night!

Last edited:

AngerDanger

Graphics
Original poster
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008

Oh, uh, his body is presumably under the covers, and the lines extending from either side of his head are supposed to depict omnipresent clock digits boring through his head.

I mean, yeah, the huge party thing! Yes. That. :eek:

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
You drew a picture of someone drowning! :eek:

What app did you use? You can get an interesting effect with the highlighters, I probably wouldn't have drawn the lines at the top and right of the sun, but continue at the edges and working your way in. Probably play with brush sizes and if there's an orange option, mix that in too.

Same thing with the grass. Draw some small lines scattered all over it too. to make it more authentic. Probably would get better results using a smaller brush for the waves too. At least for the top waves. Using the eraser and "erasing" little waves would be a nice touch and help to draw attention away from the overlapping of blues.

You asked for an opinion, and I gave you suggestions. There! :p It's a good start, I bet you could draw better with something like Sketchbook Pro though. :)

Thanks I used Bamboo Paper app that use Wacom Bamboo Stylus. I was drawing this because I was bored on the bus. Drawing is not my thing but it is nice to learn anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.