Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
NotePad Widget:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/19221

Costs $8, but I find it indispensable for superquick notes, which I find myself doing all day long.

Maybe there are free alternatives, but I haven't seen any with the same functionality... maybe you can find one though.

And I miss a good calculator widget - one with a tape readout / history so that you can look over your calculation and not make mistakes, especially when you're adding long lists of numbers. There are several regular apps like that, but no widget that I know of (it must have that particular functionality though). I really miss that, because it always takes time to launch the app, while dashboard widgets are much faster... and I constantly find myself wishing there was such a calculator widget...

bbergie

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2006
Calgary
My favourite widget is the one I use most frequently, of course. :)

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    65.7 KB · Views: 53

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Their site is down :(

We've thought about making one like it though (for free). Maybe soon (we have to finish some other widgets and apps first).

Well, you're ambitious, to say the least! I mean, check out NotePad - it's a very, very tough act to follow. I never thought I'd pay for a widget, but guess what - this is so unbelievably brilliant, I just had to. Worse: I'd pay $20 - it's that good (and no, I'm not affiliated with them in any way).

But if you did something for free that matched/surpassed the features and aesthetics of NotePad - and even if it wasn't for free - you'd become my personal Jesus :)

Highland

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2003
Australia
I'm confident we could do something at least as good ;)

Anything's possible, it just takes time (check sig to see other stuff I've done with a friend).

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
I'm confident we could do something at least as good ;)

Anything's possible, it just takes time (check sig to see other stuff I've done with a friend).

WHAT???? You're the guy behind iSlayer??? I just fainted. Wow. I use iStat every single freakin' day!!! OK, I believe you could surpass NotePad. Now I have to go lay down, I'm overwhelmed...

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
LOL. We're just two guys who like making widgets.

Well, what are you waiting for? Ever heard of Silicon Valley? Time to make your fortune, instead of lazing on the beach in Australia :)

All kidding aside, visiting Australia is on my todo list... somehow I always end up somewhere else on vacation, it's just so darn far away... but someday...

Meanwhile keep up the good work... on your music too!

Highland

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2003
Australia
Thanks. We're working on some apps that won't be free (they'll be cheap and definitely worth paying for, if they're the kind of thing you need). So hopefully those will help keep things moving and fund some more free widgets.

Sorry for the thread hijack!

GITANAJAVA

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2006
Have ibrik, will travel.
My fav-du-jour is the Quicktime widget mentioned in this thread -- thanks, mate! Fullscreen QT's at last :D

My other favs are Voice Notes, World Clock, FontSee, and the Translation Widget. Best I can remember, all but Voice Notes d/l'd from apple.com; Voice Notes d/l'd from dashboardwidgets.com.

::apologies to all for not having the URL's handy::

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.