Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will Cheyney

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2005
United Kingdom
I think the title of the thread explains everything... Post your favorite tips & tricks for OS X or any iApp.
I'll get the ball rolling, here's a good one:

Silently Change Volume
Hold the shift key as you press the volume up or volume down keys on an apple pro keyboard to disable the system beep. This way, it is possible to silently change the sound volume.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
Will Cheyney said:
I think the title of the thread explains everything... Post your favorite tips & tricks for OS X or any iApp.
I'll get the ball rolling, here's a good one:

Silently Change Volume
Hold the shift key as you press the volume up or volume down keys on an apple pro keyboard to disable the system beep. This way, it is possible to silently change the sound volume.

i dunno of any tips whatsoever...but good tip der...i didn't knoe that...

qtip919

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
Chundles said:
option-command-+ The super zoom, opt-com-- to zoom out. It's really cool.

That is way too cool...I cant wait to show my coworkers ... <sneer> at good ol' Microsoft ;) </sneer>

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
it's not really a secret, but one of my faves is opt+ctrl+clicking a dock icon to bring up the alternate menu. very handy for force-quitting an application that's not hanging (ie you want to quit limewire or something without it taking forever)

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
homerjward said:
it's not really a secret, but one of my faves is opt+ctrl+clicking a dock icon to bring up the alternate menu. very handy for force-quitting an application that's not hanging (ie you want to quit limewire or something without it taking forever)

In that same vein, Cmd-click on dock icons to reveal in Finder.

LawHog

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2005
homerjward said:
it's not really a secret, but one of my faves is opt+ctrl+clicking a dock icon to bring up the alternate menu.

I may be missing something, but I think ctrl isn't required for this. I can get the alternate menu with just alt/option+click.

Edit: interestingly, after playing around with these, I found that while alt+click and hold gives you the alternate menu, alt+click and quick release shows the selected application and hides all others.

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
LawHog said:
I may be missing something, but I think ctrl isn't required for this. I can get the alternate menu with just alt/option+click.

Edit: interestingly, after playing around with these, I found that while alt+click and hold gives you the alternate menu, alt+click and quick release shows the selected application and hides all others.

Alright, here's what's up with the dock icons:

Click and hold (with or without modifiers): Contextual menu
Option click: Hide app
Control click: Contextual menu
Command click: Reveal in Finder

RoxStrongo

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2005
Bournemouth, UK
LawHog said:

surely you mean that option isn't required. ctrl+click is the equivalent to a right-click. ok i see what you mean now, holding option turns quit to force quit and hide to hide others. holding control gives u quick access to the menu, alternatively just hold the click and it appears. this takes longer though and who needs that.

LawHog

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2005
RoxStrongo said:
surely you mean that option isn't required. ctrl+click is the equivalent to a right-click. ok i see what you mean now, holding option turns quit to force quit and hide to hide others. holding control gives u quick access to the menu, alternatively just hold the click and it appears. this takes longer though and who needs that.

Ah, I see. I didn't know that ctrl+click=instant menu for dock items. I've been trying to learn to use these modifiers more. You know, 10+ years of Windows/DOS vs. one year of OSX. Thanks!

At any rate, I think I still prefer click+hold to ctrl+click for contextual menus on dock items. The delay is less than a second.

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
I think I accidentally discovered another one the other day.
cmd + (the down arrow) when you have your drive icon on my desktop highlighted brings up a Finder window?!

I think it works for any dirve you have connected.
I did it the other day when I had my PB HD highlighted, and voila!
Don't know I have much use for this one though - but cool nonetheless.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
DJY said:
I think I accidentally discovered another one the other day.
cmd + (the down arrow) when you have your drive icon on my desktop highlighted brings up a Finder window?!

Apple + Down/Up in general, in Finder, will open items that are highlighted (down) or open containing items (up). This includes starting programs or opening documents. :)

mcadam

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2004
københavn
My absolute favorite trick at the moment is that with Tiger you can finally, FINALLY, make a slideshow in finder. Just choose the picture files you want to look at (max. 100 though, iirc), and right(cmd)-click them and choose "slideshow". I'm so happy for that. Only minus is the slightly transparent control panel on top of the show, tsss...

A

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
The most important thing for me (except spotlight and expose) is this:

Press and hold the command key and then press the Tab key. See what happens! This way I can switch to other applications without selecting them with the mouse. This saves waaaay lot of time...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Soulstorm said:
Press and hold the command key and then press the Tab key. See what happens! This way I can switch to other applications without selecting them with the mouse. This saves waaaay lot of time...

Hehehehehe.... Windows users would be shocked. :p :eek: :D

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Screengrabbing is even more in-depth than that.

Shift + Apple + 3 = screengrab

Shift + Apple + 4 = screengrab cursor for grabbing a portion of the screen

Shift + Apple +4 then spacebar allows you to select and screengrab any given window.

Are there more I don't know of?

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
mkrishnan said:
*looks up at above post*
*contemplates explaining the concept of sarcasm*
*decides to contemplate the concept of futility instead*

Thank you for the tip, sir. :)

Oops, sorry... was half awake this morning... and awoke to discover a S.M.A.R.T. status: failing on my beuatiful 17" PB!

ECK!
Posted a help notice - whilst I have been madly attempting to back everything up. I think my PB might be having its first night away from me tomorrow night!!!
Sorry I missed this one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.