Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike437

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2007
Hello everyone. I would first like to point out that i have tried to post this thread three different times on the apple discussion forums but all three times the thread has been deleted! I dont know why but apperently i am "Conflicting with Apple's Discussions Use Agreement". So heres the story: today i went in to my local apple store hoping to replcae my iPhone with a new one. I went in and signed up to meet with a so called "genius", mind you they said the wait period was only suppost to be 5 minutes which turned out to be 40 minutes! Besides that the apple "genius" did not take me very serious since i am only 16 and have an iPhone.

Anywho, i would appreciate it if every one would post there iPhone battery life. My iPhone just turned off with 4 hours and 28 minutes of usage and 2 days and 3 hours of standby. I used my iphone for: 2 hours iPod (non video, audio only), 1 hours of wifi, 1/2 hour of phone calls, and 1/2 hour of just playing around with my iPhone. I had wifi turned on, asked to join networks off, and half brightness with auto brightness on. I never once was able to get my iPhone to be fully charged, my iPhone always had the little sliver left no matter what i did, restore, airplane mode, nothing worked.

**So long story short here i would appreciate it if everyone would post their iPhone battery life so i can show it to my new "friend" the apple "genius" to show him how horrible my iPhone's battery life is to hopefully get a replacement.

p.s. hopefully this thread wont be locked/deleted, and thanks Mac Rumors for the hopefully warm welcoming!

p.p.s I would like to add that i have just been banned from apple discussion boards! I am beginning to have second thoughts about this so called "perfect" phone.

Thanks again,
Mike

johnnybluejeans

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
New York, NY
My iPhone just turned off with 4 hours and 28 minutes of usage and 2 days and 3 hours of standby. I used my iphone for: 2 hours iPod (non video, audio only), 1 hours of wifi, 1/2 hour of phone calls, and 1/2 hour of just playing around with my iPhone.

Hate to break it to you Mike, but that is very decent battery life for an iPhone. How long do you expect it to last on a charge? All week?

If you get 2 days standby with 4+ hours of use you should be happy. Some people with actual battery problems get half that. You don't have a battery problem.

For the record, that is about what I get and I am very happy with it. My Sidekick 2 had to be charged every day and I hardly used it.

Mike437

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2007
In response to the post above, as reported by apple in their "tech specs" states that i should get a minimal of 6 hours of usage and 250 hours of standy, i get about 1/3 of standby and only 2/3 of usage which i am not pleased with that. My one friend gets about 8 hours of usage and well in to a week of standby! And if you call my battery life normal then his must be superb! to bad he is only getting the normal battery life.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Hello everyone. I would first like to point out that i have tried to post this thread three different times on the apple discussion forums but all three times the thread has been deleted! I dont know why but apperently i am "Conflicting with Apple's Discussions Use Agreement". So heres the story: today i went in to my local apple store hoping to replcae my iPhone with a new one. I went in and signed up to meet with a so called "genius", mind you they said the wait period was only suppost to be 5 minutes which turned out to be 40 minutes! Besides that the apple "genius" did not take me very serious since i am only 16 and have an iPhone.

Anywho, i would appreciate it if every one would post there iPhone battery life. My iPhone just turned off with 4 hours and 28 minutes of usage and 2 days and 3 hours of standby. I used my iphone for: 2 hours iPod (non video, audio only), 1 hours of wifi, 1/2 hour of phone calls, and 1/2 hour of just playing around with my iPhone. I had wifi turned on, asked to join networks off, and half brightness with auto brightness on. I never once was able to get my iPhone to be fully charged, my iPhone always had the little sliver left no matter what i did, restore, airplane mode, nothing worked.

**So long story short here i would appreciate it if everyone would post their iPhone battery life so i can show it to my new "friend" the apple "genius" to show him how horrible my iPhone's battery life is to hopefully get a replacement.

p.s. hopefully this thread wont be locked/deleted, and thanks Mac Rumors for the hopefully warm welcoming!

p.p.s I would like to add that i have just been banned from apple discussion boards! I am beginning to have second thoughts about this so called "perfect" phone.

Thanks again,
Mike

Expect to have to charge your phone every night with a smartphone. The iPhone has been the first smartphone I have gone two days with the "stock" battery with.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
In response to the post above, as reported by apple in their "tech specs" states that i should get a minimal of 6 hours of usage and 250 hours of standy, i get about 1/3 of standby and only 2/3 of usage which i am not pleased with that. My one friend gets about 8 hours of usage and well in to a week of standby! And if you call my battery life normal then his must be superb! to bad he is only getting the normal battery life.

There are so many little things that can change battery life from one user to the next.

Do you cut the screen off after viewing or do you let it time out?
What is your music encode at?
Do you have it check for email?
How much email do you get?
etc.
etc, etc.

johnnybluejeans

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
New York, NY

I don't believe your "friends" stats for a second. I have never seen anyone post battery stats outside of about what you posted. He may charge for an hour or two when syncing and thus not reset the usage stats to give a false impression of better battery life.

The stated 6 hours usage and 250 hours standby does not mean 6 hours of usage AND 250 hours of standby. If you didn't touch your phone for 250 hours, never took a call, never recieved a call, never had the screen on...then sure, it would last a week. Similarly you could probably charge the phone, pull it off the cradle and play for about 6 hours before the battery died.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
My average is about two days standby. I usually get about 5-10 hours usage ranging between phone, iPod, and Safari use.

On my current charge, I have 17 hours standby, 6 hours 15 minutes usage. Most of that today was iPod and experimenting with using internet sharing between my Mac and my iPhone. My battery is just below 50%.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
if you want to know for sure, turn off wifi, bt, auto brightness, set brightness to half, enable call forwarding, manual mail check and repeat a feature length movie until the phone turns off. you should get 5 or so hours.

This has to be from a full charge, plug showing in the small battery icon and the large graphic completely full.

Remember, you have to use your battery regularly for a little while, and calibrate it at least once (run it from full to empty, and then charge it back up again), before you wil get the best life form it.

i recently got my phone exchanged because it wouldnt go to full charge either, but it would display the plug in the small icon. I took in my Powerbook and showed the genius that there was a sliver left with the little icon showing the plug. Swaped me out on the spot.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
On the one time that I've run it all the way out of battery, it lasted about 10 hours. This was with browsing the web occasionally, playing some music, checking my email, using google maps for a short amount of time, and making a call. The iPhone was not used constantly, there was some time that it was not used.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
With light phone usage (maybe a dozen 2 minute calls) + approx 2hrs collective data use (both getting/sending email and web browsing) I'm left with about 50% power at the end of the day.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
My iPhone needed to be recharged every 48-60 hrs and only got 2 hrs usage and 45-60minutes talk time in that period. I hadn't used video or any other iPod functions much. I read an article that said some guy at Microsoft-Watch charged his 3 times in 2 weeks and used it quite a bit more than that. So I called Applecare, they gave me a case number and took it to a store for replacement. Since I got the replacement I have 3 hours 30 min of usage which is email, maps, camera, calendar, alarm clock, haven't used the replacement for safari or iPod yet. I have also made 1 hr of calls on the replacement. My standby time is 3 days 22 hours, so almost 4 full days. I am still over 50% probably 60-65% full charge still. I expect 8 days + on a full charge of standby. Much better performance. Glad I called Applecare and took it in. For me it's a phone, calendar, alarm, maps, photos, and more. I will use the internet when I need to and probably won't use the iPod functions much at all. The other thing to remember is that when it says 8 hours talk time and 250 standby, that's an either or. If you talk for 4, you'll only get about 125 standby.

sunday888

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
Silicon Valley
I charge my iPhone just about every night and just about every night the battery is about half empty. On several occasions I've gone two days between charges and by the time I put it on the cradle it's running on fumes. Seems pretty consistent with what I've read and doesn't give me any cause for concern.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Wirelessly posted (LGE-VX9900/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

I agree that the OP is getting good battery life on his iphone. For such a complex device, the time you listed was pretty good. I dont own one myself, but that is what i would expect

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
no phone i've ever owned lasted more than three days of use/standby (moto slvr being the longest-lasting). my iphone gernerally lasts me about two days with use ranging from 3-5 hours, mostly email/phone/web. i consider it very good use, and i'm very happy with the battery life thus far.

concerning apple's specs for battery life, you have to understand that these are the times they get for turning everything down and off. nobody is going to see any manufacturers' battery claims of their products, especially notebook computers. i'd love it if my macbook pro got the 6 hour battery life it was rated, but it doesn't. and that's ok. your iphone's battery is very decent, so congrats on a good battery and congrats on a good phone.

dennis39784

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2007
California
So far okay

I'm averaging about 2-3 days between charges with nominal usage for Safari, Stocks, Weather and a few hours of video and music. Guess I'm lucky.

One thing I've noted (but not measured, yet), battery life seems shorter when iPhone is used in warmer temperatures. Maybe your iPhone is under the sun at times?

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
Close all apps apart from the one you are using, by going in to a app and holding the home button for about 8 seconds until you get the home screen. Thats should save a bit of power.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Close all apps apart from the one you are using, by going in to a app and holding the home button for about 8 seconds until you get the home screen. Thats should save a bit of power.

Where did you read about this? So there is actually a way to close Safari?

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Two ways: one, play music while using it and two, yeh just hold down the home button for 8 seconds, saw it somewhere in the forums.

Well I noticed on my original phone that when I went to Safari it would immediately try to open the last page open and if I have 2 or 3 pages open I could close all but one. Never could figure out how to close that last page but didn't like that Safari still seemed to be running. So you are saying go into the App like Safari or iPod that is running and hold home for 8 secs and when I go back to Safari there shouldn't be a pre-existing webpage, ie. it's a fresh launch.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
I think so, Safari might remember the last URL you opened even if you do exit it but you can try. But if you go to any app and hold down the home button for 8 seconds it will exit. Give it a try it wont mess up the phone or anything, just go to Safari and hold down the home button for 8 seconds.

wagswvu

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2008
I have had my iPhone 3G since August, however I just recently took it on a business trip. What I found is that I was only getting around 3 hours of usage and 4 hours of standby with the battery being under 30% batter remaining. Is this normal?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

The absolute longest I have ever gotten is 25 hours.

My normal average is closer to 15 hours on with 4 hours use.

So my advice is to stop complaining and just plug the darned thing in while you sleep. You're still doing better than 90% of the folks I see around here.

Besides that the apple "genius" did not take me very serious since i am only 16 and have an iPhone.

Or...here's a thought...he didn't take you seriously because your phone lasts about twice as long as everyone else's. Just a thought.

I have had my iPhone 3G since August, however I just recently took it on a business trip. What I found is that I was only getting around 3 hours of usage and 4 hours of standby with the battery being under 30% batter remaining. Is this normal?

If you're used to being around 3G and Wifi, watch them closely when you travel. If you go places where they don't exist you'll waste a lot of power as it searches for those networks constantly. I use 3G when I have it, but when it's not around I'm sure to turn it off. This is harder to keep track of when I travel to unfamiliar places.

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
I usually get 7 hours of usage with 1 day and 11 hours of standbye time.

I always have wifi turned on but not connecting to unknown networks, I always have 3G turned off and I think I have a battery problem or is it normal?

(sorry to hijack the thread)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.