Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2007
I'm trying to get my photos organized under iPhoto and I'm looking for ideas on how to do it. My initial plan looks like this:

Create albums for places/events (basically for each roll)

Then create smart albums for specific subject matter based on keywords (such as animals, cars, landscapes, etc)

I'd like to see other people's organizations to help me get some better ideas.

Thanks!

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
I take a lot of time to assign keywords to everything of importance, and build smart albums from those.

polycat33

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
Alexandria, VA
I haven't delved into the smart albums... I just organized mine manually. I had them already organized in folders by event and such on my computer so I just loaded them and then categorized them very similar to the folders they're already in on my comp.

Most of my pictures are from my five years of college so I organized them like "1st year - __________" where the space is whatever the occasion or event was. For others I just put the year on them and the event, and then I put them in order by date taken with the older ones at the bottom and the newest ones at the top.

hotboiled

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2006
i use aperture

--- 10.02.07 - projectname
--------------selected pics projectname
--- 12.02.07 - projectname
--------------selected pics projectname

RumMunkey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2006
Canada
I have maybe 2 albums, and those I only made for special projects (books / slideshows).

I keep everything organized by roll. This is how I'd do it in the physical world too; they come back from developing and the bundled of pictures usually stay together.

The rolls are chronologically listed in iPhoto so scrolling to find stuff is easy (the rolls are usually given decent names like "Christmas 2007" and so on. Every picture I dump off the camera I give a name, edit the date & time if necessary (usually it's not, my camera takes care of that) and then I give every picture a few words in the "Description" field.

The descriptions are usually just names of who is in the picture. Sometimes they'll include the event ("Mother's Day") or the place ("3 Ferrara St.").

This is all I need because iPhotos search is like spotlight. It searches for the search word in all fields (title, description, roll name, etc).

So I if want all pictures of my wife, I just search for "Jenn" and it filters my rolls beautifully. If I want all pictures that contain my wife AND our dog, I just search "Jenn Dakota". Done.

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2007
I have maybe 2 albums, and those I only made for special projects (books / slideshows).

I keep everything organized by roll. This is how I'd do it in the physical world too; they come back from developing and the bundled of pictures usually stay together.

The rolls are chronologically listed in iPhoto so scrolling to find stuff is easy (the rolls are usually given decent names like "Christmas 2007" and so on. Every picture I dump off the camera I give a name, edit the date & time if necessary (usually it's not, my camera takes care of that) and then I give every picture a few words in the "Description" field.

The descriptions are usually just names of who is in the picture. Sometimes they'll include the event ("Mother's Day") or the place ("3 Ferrara St.").

This is all I need because iPhotos search is like spotlight. It searches for the search word in all fields (title, description, roll name, etc).

So I if want all pictures of my wife, I just search for "Jenn" and it filters my rolls beautifully. If I want all pictures that contain my wife AND our dog, I just search "Jenn Dakota". Done.

You know I keep hearing people talking about organizing by roll, but I can't figure out how to see my rolls within iPhoto. All I get is this:

Last Roll
Albums/Smart Albums
Trash

I get the Last Roll item, but once I import another roll, that gets reset. How do I view my previously imported pics by Roll?

RumMunkey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2006
Canada
Go to "View" / "Sort Photos" / then "by Film Roll".

Click "Library" at the very top to show all rolls in your library.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.