Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ranviper

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 10, 2010
Adirondacks, NY
I would love to see some laptop stands. I just built one today with PVC pipe, and when I get my macbook pro back tomorrow from the apple store, I will take some pics. I know I have seen at least one more person with a PVC stand on here, but show us any stand you got! Macbook arcs and stands and so on. :D

Daveismoney

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2008
id love to see some too! im in the market for one so lets see what you guys have, i heard henge docks are sweet

pagansoul

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2006
Earth
I have a few of them. From bed bath & Beyond one for my bed, looks like a breakfast tray with a light. Another from Walmart, it's a Rolodex that has USB docks in the back that I keep on my desk. I aslo have on of those tall portables that I use when I'm on the sofa.

Attachments

• Rolodex.jpg
    Rolodex.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 4,521
  • myplace-laptop-table.jpg
    myplace-laptop-table.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 4,538
  • RolandSSPC1LaptopStand.jpg
    RolandSSPC1LaptopStand.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 5,290

shazzam

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Meh, superfluous.

ranviper

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 10, 2010
Adirondacks, NY
My home made PVC pipe stand. Very efficient, especially with cable management, and just the right height. :D Much cheaper than most stands too. 5 bucks. :cool:

photo0834r.jpg

photo0836.jpg

Tonsko

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
'Built' is a bit strong for that. That implies, um, something has been, um, built from many parts.

zasr4325

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2010
The world
'Built' is a bit strong for that. That implies, um, something has been, um, built from many parts.
One of the funniest posts I've seen in a while, and from a fellow UKer.

I think this is more suitable:
I built (glued some wood together) for my display, and a removable stand (Broke some of the wood, but didn't want to throw it away, so yeah...)) for my MBP.

Last edited:

zasr4325

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2010
The world
Haha! That's a bit harsh :p It looks nicely made... just not built. :D

Yeah, reading it again made me sound like a bit of a cock, so toned it down. I was completely original in my choice of stand, and totes didn't see it first in the 'Mac setup thread(s):
Can't really see too much of it, but its a Rain mStand
36b2ecda.jpg

rain-design.jpg

Tonsko

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
You have one! Damn you! (see post #5). It's one I've looked at, but can't justify the 60 quid...yet. Really nice though.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
I built (glued some wood together) for my display, and a removable stand (Broke some of the wood, but didn't want to throw it away, so yeah...)) for my MBP.

No, I wanted to have a stand that I can remove and use on my bed and raise up the MBP to the height of the display. Thanks for trying, though!

Ok, I constructed it. Better now?

zasr4325

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2010
The world
You have one! Damn you! (see post #5). It's one I've looked at, but can't justify the 60 quid...yet. Really nice though.

£60?! No way did I pay that much for that stand. I got mine in Dubai for 200AED, which works out to about £30. It keeps my MacBook at the perfect height if I'm using the wireless keyboard or mouse and looks the part too. Saw everyone had them in the Mac setup thread, and just couldn't resist when I saw it in the shop.

zasr4325

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2010
The world
No, I wanted to have a stand that I can remove and use on my bed and raise up the MBP to the height of the display. Thanks for trying, though!

Ok, I constructed it. Better now?

Calm down pal, we were only taking the Mickey Bliss. Just a bit of friendly banter. It doesn't look that bad, especially for a relatively quick fix, and as long as it does what you want it to, then you're sorted. Sorry if my comments came off harsh, but I just thought you could have done a bit more with it.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Calm down pal, we were only taking the Mickey Bliss. Just a bit of friendly banter. It doesn't look that bad, especially for a relatively quick fix, and as long as it does what you want it to, then you're sorted. Sorry if my comments came off harsh, but I just thought you could have done a bit more with it.

I'm planning on painting it black (preferably with spray paint) and then apply a clear glossy coat. I'll see if I find it necessary. I personally think it looks very good (but that's just my own bias).

Edit: if you don't mind telling me, what did you originally post as a comment on my post?

Last edited:

zasr4325

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2010
The world
I'm planning on painting it black (preferably with spray paint) and then apply a clear glossy coat. I'll see if I find it necessary. I personally think it looks very good (but that's just my own bias).

Edit: if you don't mind telling me, what did you originally post as a comment on my post?

Just that it didn't really look like much effort went into making it, and that it didn't really look too much like a traditional stand. Although that was pretty harsh, as it doesn't really look that bad for what it is. Maybe you might think about doing something for the cable management, and also maybe waxing it just to give it a better finish?

On a more relevant note, found the more eco-friendly alternative to the standard macbook stand:
Simple-Laptop-Stand-From-MacBook-Packaging.jpg

And whilst this guy gets points for some nifty innovation, I wouldn't particularly want to rest my Mac on those pipe fittings:
3410588708_515f723eff_z.jpg

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
I like Alpha's better than yours.

Thanks! Before I made the stand as seen above, I made a proof-of-concept stand made out of the junk wood from The Home Depot that cost me $13. I didnt like the look of the nails or the screws, so I bought some nicer wood and some wood glue.

Junk wood stand:
DSCN0734.jpg

Honestly, I think I could have done better, but I think I made the best thing that I could with a budget of $30 (plus I would rather spend that $30 on something that I made myself than get a stand from the store). When I get the time and the money, I will get some black paint and some clear coat and see if I can enhance the aesthetics. Also zasr4325 is right. My cable management sucks. I just have too many cables.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
^You need more desk space :) If you don't want to build your own I suggest the Galant from Ikea! :)

I've been using the Aviiq. It's super thin and good for portable use when I need it.

aviiq-portable-laptop-stand_large.jpg
aviiq-portable-laptop-stand72.jpg

Sadly, it didn't come with the girl.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.