Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I only drink espresso, double shots (that's between 2 and 21/2 oz per drink).

During the week, generally 3-4 doubles/day, weekends /holidays 4-5 doubles/day. A fair average is about 4 per day.

By volume, it's not as much as many who drink drip coffee by the pot! :p:D

----------

[/COLOR][

I have a saeco super automatic machine... I usually have 5plus doubles a day... But although I'm a heavy consumer of arabica beans, I know next to nothing about the ins and outs.

How much better would my esspessos be if I was as focused as you?

Last edited:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
----------

[/COLOR][

I have a saeco super automatic machine... I usually have 5plus doubles a day... But although I'm a heavy consumer of arabica beans, I know next to nothing about the ins and outs.

How much better would my esspessos be if I was as focused as you?

I really don't know...it depends on how good your espresso is now!!:p

The main difference here is that you are comfortable giving total control of the whole process to the machine. That's not in any way bad, and its a lot neater and more convenient than my way.

The way I approach it is to maximize my control over every step in the process. It allows me to control and adjust the many variables involved in the production process, all of which are managed by your machine for you. I roast my own beans (controlling the darkness/lightness of the roast), grind them in the exact dose for just one double (controlling and adjusting the grind so my machine produces 2 - 21/2 oz in 20-30 seconds - the extraction time), do my own tamp (controlling the pressure of the tamp), and time and control the extraction time (turning the machine off when I want). Lots of reading and experimenting have gone into learning the skills, and I continue to learn every day...even though I have been doing this for a looong time!

Now, there's nothing good or bad about all that control...just a matter of how much work you really want to put into the production of a cup of espresso. It is messy and more work...but for me it is the way I want to approach the "hobby". I certainly am not selling the approach.

So...is the espresso "better"?? I have no idea! It's more that possible the your super automatic makes great espresso, with a lot less fussing.

I just enjoy the whole process...that's my craziness!!:p

BTW: I don't think we should highjack this thread...I suggest if you want to continue this, take it over to the "Espresso Enthusiasts" thread on Community Discussion".

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1530636/

Last edited:

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
How are they? I am in the market for new headphones and just not sure what to get

I've not spent much time with them yet, but so far so good. Very crisp and clear, good quality tracks really shine. The bass response threw me a bit though. It's very controlled and unaggressive.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Nikon D7100 body. Mine shipped out today! Oh the good old days of not having to pay tax :(

screenshot20130315at918.png

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Nikon D7100 body. Mine shipped out today! Oh the good old days of not having to pay tax :(

Nice… didn't know they released an update for one already. Nikon's been releasing a bunch of new things recently and it's getting harder to keep track.

Yeah I miss the days of not having to pay tax… so I usually avoid Amazon for electronics and I go to Best Buy and get everything price-matched.

sths-gr

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2009
Greece
My latest purchases..
iMac 27" fusion drive (Ordered late December and received yesterday!) ;)
hp m475dw
iPhone 5 16gb

It's a huge upgrade for me from my early 08' macbook pro ! I have to get used to the bigger screen though!

Attachments

• IMG_1012.jpg
    IMG_1012.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 165
  • IMG_1014.jpg
    IMG_1014.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 181

ebd.i.am

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Defiance for the PC.

If you pre-order the game on Amazon they will send you a beta key. I figure I can try it out and if I don't like it then I can cancel my order before the release date and not be charged. :rolleyes:

910WEE9Ug-L._SL1500_.jpg

droidbook

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2013
Just purchased today STM Hood Backpack....and love it

Attachments

• IMG_20130316_205328.jpg
    IMG_20130316_205328.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 159

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Nice… didn't know they released an update for one already. Nikon's been releasing a bunch of new things recently and it's getting harder to keep track.

Yeah I miss the days of not having to pay tax… so I usually avoid Amazon for electronics and I go to Best Buy and get everything price-matched.

I wouldn't say they've released a lot of products. They typically take a few years between updates and new products.

Got some new energy drinks to try out! Red Bull Red edition tastes meh, couldn't they make a tastier flavor considering it's all artificial anyway? I'd definitely stick with the original every once in a while. Btw, these Plus Red Elixirs taste great! Plus they're all natural.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    464.5 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
3Tgarminstem.png

3T Integra Ltd stem with the Garmin attachment. Got it very cheap thanks to Wiggle discounts.

I'll probably end up going to try FSA Plasma bars next however, unless I'm very happy with the 3T stem.

fsa-185-0780-zoom.jpg

Adding those will be a bigger job. I've also got Ultegra Di2 on the wish-list for later on.

Yes, and a new 80-400mm too, the one that many people really wanted to see updated.

haxrnick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Seattle
Have you tried the For The People Pant? really comfortable.

I haven't. I have a couple pair of kung fu's and sweatpants that I forget which style they are. Most comfortable clothing ever.

Expensive day yesterday.

41FwKuiDbIL.jpg

mba2012-step1-macbookair-13in

_6695753.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.