Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stillcrazyman

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2014
Exile
New Think Tank Retrospective 10 camera bag to hold all my new Fuji gear. XT3 camera, and now 4 lenses.

1535414031_1430984.jpg

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Not saying you have to buy the Toyota part, but the cheap no name brand/eBay light bulbs are generally crap. Definitely go aftermarket, but brand name would be better.
For $11 a piece (delivered) in a car I intend to sell before the end of the year I’m willing to take a chance. The Phillips ones were still 16x the price of these.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
For $11 a piece (delivered) in a car I intend to sell before the end of the year I’m willing to take a chance. The Phillips ones were still 16x the price of these.

Like I said, there is a middle ground. I'd rather spend $100 on quality aftermarket lights and be pretty much worry free than dealing with lights intermittently working, getting pulled over, less safety etc.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Like I said, there is a middle ground. I'd rather spend $100 on quality aftermarket lights and be pretty much worry free than dealing with lights intermittently working, getting pulled over, less safety etc.

And if I intended to keep the car I'd agree with you - but then I'd also probably want to replace the ballast too, because blowing a $100 bulb due to an old faulty ballast hurts a lot more than blowing an $11 bulb because of the ballast.

So then I have to actually find a place that sells ballast. My research tells me that the price Toyota quoted us [/includes/] the ballast, and that the bulb itself is "only" about $100 anyway - so at that point we're in the territory of supposing I can find ballast's significantly cheaper than the "genuine" ones Toyota sell, without compromising on quality. When I looked online, there were several places selling OSAM and Philips brand Xenons for about ~$100 a bulb. Not as many had ballasts.

Just as some people here are happy to buy a cheaper USB3+SATA SSD, because they don't need/care about the better performance of a TB3+NVMe SSD, and others are happy to build franken-Mac computers because they're happy to tinker and save some cash, and are less concerned that it's not officially supported by the software - I'm happy to spend $22 on a pair of bulbs, try - and confirm - that they work OK, and if necessary replace them again in a few months.

People have different priorities, and even different context. I specifically said I'm planning to sell the car before the end of the year. At this rate, even if the cheap bulbs are complete ****, I could replace them both, twice a month for the rest of the year, and STILL come out better cost wise.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Technically not a purchase I guess, because it's basically "rented" and the cost is covered by the service fee, but our new fibre service (200/200 Mbps up/down) has an ONT that is so big we can use it to replace one of the walls of the house in a pinch.

AirPort Extreme included for size comparison, and because 6 years later, it's still a better router than the **** ISPs provide.

Y4MOD0wmTUKUpmflZKIQPg.jpg

Reactions: Gutwrench
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.