Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZachsMacDaddy

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2007
Maryland
After wanting some of this heavy duty polylumber furniture for years, I finally picked up a nice set on sale yesterday.

IMG_8993.JPG

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I have some reclining chairs put throughout the yard and beyond under trees. Easy as pie to wash off, even with a pressure washer. Lightfast, too. No fading at all. Not very cheap, though.

I give them a scrub down once a month during the warm months using some earth friendly soap and put them away during the cold months.

Reactions: Gutwrench

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I have some reclining chairs put throughout the yard and beyond under trees. Easy as pie to wash off, even with a pressure washer. Lightfast, too. No fading at all. Not very cheap, though.

I give them a scrub down once a month during the warm months using some earth friendly soap and put them away during the cold months.

What are they made from?

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
I was reminded just this weekend of how much we have come to rely on streaming for our entertainment.

Saturday morning someone took a pair of scissors to the outside cable coming to our apartment and left us without phone, cable tv and internet.

We decided to have a Harry Potter / Star Wars marathon, since we have the entire collection/saga on Blu-ray.

Right then and there I saw scepticalscribe’s wisdom on preferring physical media over streaming ethereal content.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I was reminded just this weekend of how much we have come to rely on streaming for our entertainment.

Saturday morning someone took a pair of scissors to the outside cable coming to our apartment and left us without phone, cable tv and internet.

We decided to have a Harry Potter / Star Wars marathon, since we have the entire collection/saga on Blu-ray.

Right then and there I saw scepticalscribe’s wisdom on preferring physical media over streaming ethereal content.

Sorry, no streaming for me, although I am more than well aware of the fact that much of the (first) world has become quite habituated to this form of entertainment.

Rather, my preference is old world DVDs, both for viewing at home, and for when I am abroad, especially in places where internet connections are not terribly reliable: Today, a DVD of Jackie Brown arrived in the post, and I shall enjoy viewing it over the week-end.

And old world CDs. I have never streamed music.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Yeah, I've started reverting back to physical media myself. That includes CD's, records, as well as DVD's or Blu-rays.

This way I won't be trapped in any particular company's ecosystem (iTunes or Google Play and such). Plus I won't be dependent on a connection being cut, dropped or acting up - though that rarely happens to me.

But I like having the physical media for many reasons such as those, being able to see any album art and extras up close and in my hands, as well as experiencing it in top quality.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yeah, I've started reverting back to physical media myself. That includes CD's, records, as well as DVD's or Blu-rays.

This way I won't be trapped in any particular company's ecosystem (iTunes or Google Play and such). Plus I won't be dependent on a connection being cut, dropped or acting up - though that rarely happens to me.

But I like having the physical media for many reasons such as those, being able to see any album art and extras up close and in my hands, as well as experiencing it in top quality.

I like both the physical sensation of holding and hefting CDs, (and DVDs), - and listening to them, and viewing them - as well as cover art, little booklets that give you material in greater detail, and the fact that the quality of audio and video is often so much better.

Besides, I dislike the rentier model of much online music (and, I daresay, visual material, as well); once I have purchased that CD or DVD, I can play it as I choose. And I am not wholly dependent on a reliable and fast internet connection.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
No.

I don't take DVDs (or, even CDs) on holiday.

On holiday, I take my mp3 player, and my computer.

When I employ the expression "abroad", this is not a holiday; rather, it is work, often in some of the most unpleasant and dysfunctional places in the planet.
Isn't that when you are at home?
[automerge]1571354947[/automerge]
I always change providers, but a windscreen replacement does not affect my no claims bonus anyway. I had two replacements in 2 months a couple of years ago and my insurance was still cheaper the following year.
Wow so three in total? I've never had to do one yet in nearly 30 years of driving.

Reactions: mikzn

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
But they have DVD players in the same region as yours? :rolleyes:

Not sure I understand what you are asking.

Anyway, I don't buy DVDs, or DVD players abroad, rather, I bring what I need with me.

For portability, I play DVDs on my MBA's superdrive; as for the DVDs, I buy them at home, or order them online to be delivered at home - so, obviously, they are compatible with my region (UK).

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
Did you order it online? Could you post a link or provide a name so I can search for it, please?

Disregard. I think I just found it.
Penn Elcom EX-6101B Universal 14" Lockable Vented Laptop Security Drawer

Yep that is the brand. I got mine from amazon and the one I bought is the size up from that the 17 inch wide version. This is the one I got.

Reactions: Gutwrench
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.