Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aarow

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
shadowmoses said:
Multiple desktops linux style would be nice,

If you have a look at the middle of the dock (bottom) there are the numbers 1,2,3 and 4 these each represent an individual desktop...This would work for say one desktop for work and one for play etc....Very Useful,

ShadOw

Great idea, shadowmoses. I've been using Desktop Manager for a few months and really like it :).

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
cwedl said:
Base Camp Fast user switching, Switch between Windows XP and Mac OSX within seconds.

If they create this, only then will I consider installing Windows XP on my beloved, yet to be ordered iMac.

Haha... more like this:

2 seconds later using "Fast OS switching"

:p

askegg

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2006
Multiple desktops is something I really miss after switching from Windoze/Linux to pure Mac. Very useful feature when you are doing multiple things such as browsing the web, working on a word document, putting together a slide show, etc and you can't afford dual monitors.

Besides, dual monitors only gives you two desktops - virtual desktops like these are unlimited. My SuSE machine ran 8 on regular occasions, mind you that was before I had expose.

Oblivious

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2006
MA
Uma888 said:
^^ how about this then....
37194-1.jpg

3D revolving desktop
Hehe, I was actually thinking about something like that recently after staring at the fast user switching effect over and over. It would be very neat for the desktop to rotate over to side another side if you put your mouse off the screen for an extended desktop on a small monitor.:p

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
It wouldn't surprise me if 10.5's finder ends up looking like and borrowing several ideas from Path Finder 4

Attachments

• fig01.jpg
    fig01.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 262

bursty

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2004
Oblivious said:
Hehe, I was actually thinking about something like that recently after staring at the fast user switching effect over and over. It would be very neat for the desktop to rotate over to side another side if you put your mouse off the screen for an extended desktop on a small monitor.:p
If you want to utilize something like that now, I use a program called You Control Desktops and its exactly what you say....an extended desktop. Check it out, its pretty cool:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/25259

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
VanNess said:
It wouldn't surprise me if 10.5's finder ends up looking like and borrowing several ideas from Path Finder 4

I agree in part but I don't think (and I certainly hope they don't) Apple would make Finder so complicated, especially in terms of the GUI. I think some of the features will carry over though.

Marble

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2003
Tucson, AZ
While I think multiple desktops have their place, I think it works against what Apple's going for with having everything right under your fingers when you need it. Exposé and the dock help make sure that everything is only one or two levels removed from the user, whereas multiple desktops require you to hunt around for what you want, even if it's more virtual space.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Think about how cool it would be though, to use Expose to access your virtual desktops. I mean, you hit a button or move the mouse to a corner now to "expose" all your windows, what if another button revealed however many virtual desktops you had open. I'm not a fan of the virtual desktop idea overall, but that could get me interested.

jW

Marble

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2003
Tucson, AZ
skywalker said:
Think about how cool it would be though, to use Expose to access your virtual desktops. I mean, you hit a button or move the mouse to a corner now to "expose" all your windows, what if another button revealed however many virtual desktops you had open. I'm not a fan of the virtual desktop idea overall, but that could get me interested.

jW

Dunno. I think it would just be another thing you had to keep track of. Open windows, open application, open desktops. It's a whole new cognitive layer that you need to be in control of.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
I messed around with pathfinder for a little while and found it a bit too complicated for my liking. I personally don't have a need for that kind of file organisation, though I'm sure it's useful to some.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.