Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MBPiPTiMiP4S

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2012
Nothing special, just tidy!

[url=https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3838/14335952479_de5269baf6_c.jpg]Image
[/url]iMac Setup by Danorak1981, on Flickr

 Late 2013 21.5" iMac, Intel Core i5 processor. 1TB Fusion Drive, 16GB RAM, 10.9.
 4th Gen iPad Retina, 16GB WiFi, iOS 7
 iPhone 5, Black, 16GB, 4G, iOS 7
 Apple TV 3 (under TV)

Plus...:
Bose Soundlink Mini
3 x WD MyPassport External HD's: 320GB/640GB/2TB (tucked away below the iPhone)
iPod Shuffle 2nd Gen (PRODUCT), 1GB (in drawer).

Ikea Micke Desk.

Could I have link to wallpaper please

mnewton91

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2014
I got a new custom desk. Design by myself & built by a professional carpenter I know. I'm very happy with it - finally so much space. :)

If I may ask, what was the rough price of materials + labour?

Looks fantastic, perfect for my needs..thanks for sharing the sketches!

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
Technically not a Mac setup since I sold my MBA but here's my, and my wife's, setup:

qFh6EPK.png

Commonmind

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2009
I would get a U3011 i think the model is. If you can afford it, the Apple display is quite old now.

I personally didn't like the strong anti-glare coating on the U3011. Although I wouldn't rule out older displays, I would suggest going for the older 3007WFP-HC (the high-color version of the 3007WFP). It's a 30" display that will give you the same performance as the 30" Cinema Display; while the CD often sells for 500+ dollars, I've seen the 30" 3007's sell for as low as $250 on eBay. These also don't include a scaler, meaning input lag is tolerable, and gaming on these displays wasn't nearly as bad as other IPS and VA panels that could be purchased at the time.

N10248

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
Essex, U.K.
Are you going to keep the computer on snow leopard forever? At least upgrade iTunes. Its nice and clean however.

Probably, it's the most stable and reliable i've used, this iMac came with Mountain lion and it froze multiple times in the first few days i had it - i cloned my old 24" iMac onto it and its not had a single issue since, I tried Mavericks briefly but theres nothing it has that I need over 10.6.

Plus iTunes after 11 is terrible, if they bring back coverflow i'd consider it.

So how do you use the PC? On the TV?

Yep, I have really long HDMI and USB cables going under the desk, there's a video of it on my YouTube page (link is signature)

jakesaunders27

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2012
United Kingdom
I personally didn't like the strong anti-glare coating on the U3011. Although I wouldn't rule out older displays, I would suggest going for the older 3007WFP-HC (the high-color version of the 3007WFP). It's a 30" display that will give you the same performance as the 30" Cinema Display; while the CD often sells for 500+ dollars, I've seen the 30" 3007's sell for as low as $250 on eBay. These also don't include a scaler, meaning input lag is tolerable, and gaming on these displays wasn't nearly as bad as other IPS and VA panels that could be purchased at the time.

Ahh yes my dad had the 24" version of that it's a nice display

macalla

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2014
Hello - Intro and pictures

I just joined today after my friend, in Sweden, introduced me to this site. (We share a common interest in perusing other user's setups/desktops online.) I've known about it for awhile though, but didn't sign up until today.

So here are photos of my setups in the past and present. Not the prettiest.

OLD setup in apartment (late 1990-2005)
I used to host my own website on these PowerMacintosh 9600s running YDL! The MDD G4 was my main desktop then.
MACS.jpg

computers1.jpg

Various iterations:
I even had a SGI Indigo 2 once.
computers.jpg

upload_72302.jpg

Computer Room in New House (2007+)
Before I had the computer room finished, I had all my PCs & Macs all on the floor!
464569830_1fa723bdfb_z_zpsde50c1c4.jpg

Finished Room. Now I use a mix of Linux, Mac OS and Windows computers.
11087267214_632a30c555_z_zpsa2beacf5.jpg

Old noisy IBM Netfinity fileserver and firewalls were replaced by a Lacie NAS and one Linux firewall.
3722509326_be75d969d5_z_zps4f034b32.jpg

New Linux Firewall and iMac/iTunes/File server.
11087166515_267653d048_z_zps2d23e3d4.jpg

Small desk in my bedroom: Surface Pro paired with a 21:9 display
14457660077_69c717620b_z_zps7af28b28.jpg

Last edited:

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
I just joined today after my friend, in Sweden, introduced me to this site. (We share a common interest in perusing other user's setups/desktops online.) I've known about it for awhile though, but didn't sign up until today.

So here are photos of my setups in the past and present. Not the prettiest.

OLD setup in apartment (late 1990-2005)
I used to host my own website on these PowerMacintosh 9600s running YDL! The MDD G4 was my main desktop then.

Various iterations:
I even had a SGI Indigo 2 once.

Computer Room in New House (2007+)
Before I had the computer room finished, I had all my PCs & Macs all on the floor!

Finished Room. Now I use a mix of Linux, Mac OS and Windows computers.

Old noisy IBM Netfinity fileserver and firewalls were replaced by a Lacie NAS and one Linux firewall.

New Linux Firewall and iMac/iTunes/File server.

Small desk in my bedroom: Surface Pro paired with a 21:9 display

Holy c**p :D what do you use all that storage for? :rolleyes:

macalla

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2014
Holy c**p :D what do you use all that storage for? :rolleyes:

Well, the drives on the Netfinity were very small by today's standards, so I replaced it with a few Lacie d2s, now I just have one huge NAS.
I store videos for streaming to my AppleTV, mp3 and data files from waaay back in time.

But if you're referring to the # of PCs I have....lol
I use Linux for websurfing and personal finance, a PC (which is a necessity, for work and gaming). My old macs are not used anymore, but I can't bring myself to discard them. So I just have them around for nostalgia. I'm really trying to streamline!
In reality, the only Mac I have running OSX is the iMac. This is my iTunes streaming server and VPN server. File server is a Lacie NAS now (not pictured).
----------

What's this rule? :eek:

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
Technically not a Mac setup since I sold my MBA but here's my, and my wife's, setup

I'm assuming that your display is the Cinema Display. How are you connecting that to your PC? Does your graphics card have mDP out or are you using an adapter? I would love to connect my PC to my Cinema Display but I cannot find a decently priced DP to mDP female adapter for a decent price.

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
I'm assuming that your display is the Cinema Display. How are you connecting that to your PC? Does your graphics card have mDP out or are you using an adapter? I would love to connect my PC to my Cinema Display but I cannot find a decently priced DP to mDP female adapter for a decent price.

Yeah they're both connected to pc's via this adapter:

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-...=8-4&keywords=mini+displayport+to+displayport

Actually, one the of the pc's has mDP out on the GPU. They work great though; speakers and camera work as well once you plug in the USB cable. Only downside is that HDCP doesn't work for some odd reason.

----------

So hackintosh then? Looks nice.

Nope. No hackintosh. Just Windows 8.1 with a few tweaks to have the best of both worlds.

aKCLee

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
Canada
update

table got too crowded so ended up moving all my audio equipment and the new Mac Pro to the spare bedroom... going with a kinda cool minimalist rig now for gaming/casual internet time... i really like it <3

14458123600_95cb7750a8_c.jpg

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
table got too crowded so ended up moving all my audio equipment and the new Mac Pro to the spare bedroom... going with a kinda cool minimalist rig now for gaming/casual internet time... i really like it <3

Curious as to why you have two imacs and two MBP

aKCLee

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
Canada
Curious as to why you have two imacs and two MBP
hi! it's just a personal preference is all... there is no "need" to have em, i just like Apple stuff so

the 13" Macbook Air on the right is slim and light so i carry it around to check email, skype with clients at coffee shops etc.... the larger 15'4 Macbook Pro is more powerful so it allows me to do more demanding media work on the road ie. CS6 work etc.

the middle 27" iMac is bootcamped with W7 so i can game on it.... only has a GTX 780M so I can't go too crazy but it can play most games at max setting

lastly the second iMac is a media BTO rig so i use it for FCPX, Aperture, CS6 etc. work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.