Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
Here is my new setup:

iMac 27" 5k is my main computer, and since I mostly work from home, I wanted to extend my desktop to multiple screens. Since this iMac (unfortunately) does not support Target Display mode, I opted to get Luna Display (arriving on Monday) to use my MacBook Pro as a second display and also using Sidecar for my iPad. So, I now have three screens, all being powered by my iMac!

Attachments

• IMG_1329.jpeg
    IMG_1329.jpeg
    424.5 KB · Views: 488
Reactions: MacRazySwe

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
Added a HomeKit LED strip to the back of my monitor. The warm white is great when working in the evening.
I love this. I want to do this on my iMac, but I just can't bring myself to affix the lights to it...I know this is silly, as you can not even see the back of my computer. But there is something about knowing how awful the back looks with these on there that I just can't get around, lol.

I have LED lights like this on my Home Theatre setup, and I love the affect it gives and the reduced eyestrain.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Never seen a lamp attachment like that on a monitor, but it works well. Where's it from?
BenQ make one, but a light above your screen isn't a good idea. Means you have to increase the monitor brightness and reduce its lifespan.

Reactions: ab225

ab225

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2016
Not quite a Mac. Using my 9.7” iPad Pro and Magic Trackpad as a holdover while I’m selling my old MacBook Pro and waiting for a new MacBook Air to ship. The screen size isn’t great, but I’m impressed how actually usable an iPad with iOS 14, a keyboard and trackpad is to do every day admin and documents.

Attachments

• 1E739594-3AF5-4949-BD4B-581231437A50.jpeg
    1E739594-3AF5-4949-BD4B-581231437A50.jpeg
    247.8 KB · Views: 390
  • 5AA095F8-F86D-456A-A1C6-375666E2C052.jpeg
    5AA095F8-F86D-456A-A1C6-375666E2C052.jpeg
    291.7 KB · Views: 314

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
Not quite a Mac. Using my 9.7” iPad Pro and Magic Trackpad as a holdover while I’m selling my old MacBook Pro and waiting for a new MacBook Air to ship. The screen size isn’t great, but I’m impressed how actually usable an iPad with iOS 14, a keyboard and trackpad is to do every day admin and documents.
Love your chair/seat/leg-recliner!

What brand is it or where did you get it?

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
I am really torn on this setup... I quite like the look... but for me, looking into the bright "backlighting" of the window behind the monitor would wreak havoc with my eyes...
Thank you! Yeah found that out too.. Now I'm back to having the screen perpendicular to the window. Better for my eyes.

Reactions: AZhappyjack

adamlbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
South Yorkshire, UK
A rather substantial change to my setup from last month. I now finally have a 4k monitor - to be specific it's a 27" Phillips monitor. It was very cheap but I'm impressed with the image quality nonetheless.

I still had a thing for my old Dell monitor so I managed to squeeze it on the desk (albeit vertically). I'm actually quite enjoying having a vertical monitor for certain apps.

It's starting to get a bit cramped now so I've probably reached the limit. The only remedy to that is a bigger desk, for which I'd need a bigger room :( If anyone has any space-saving suggestions let me know! I was considering getting a monitor stand so I could put the Mac mini under it and create more space that way. Then there's always the VESA mount option I guess...

Screenshot 2020-12-18 at 6.31.40 pm.jpeg

SteveManila1960

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2019
London
This is a story of past and present on a budget. The last time I splashed out on Apple products was 2014 so the family Apple products were generally coming to the end of their life on the premise I like to change when the product no longer supports the latest operating system. I don't have the finances to splash out again at this time.

The wife has foresaken all products except her phone. Gave her 11" MBA to our youngest daughter and we didn't replace her iPad mini when it died. Earlier this year she had an iPhone X but the battery was on its way out so we part exchanged it for a used iPhone 11 with a very good battery.

Eldest daughter inherited my wife's old iPhone 7 which is fine as it has a good battery and runs IOS14. Part exchanged her 2011 11" MBA for a used 2015 11" MBA which runs Big Sur. I would have liked 8GB RAM but in the Philippines they are rare as no one paid for the upgrade when buying new. Finally bit the bullet and sold her aging iPad which would only run IOS12 and with the family chipping in bought a 2020 iPad from the Apple store for her Birthday last month.

Youngest daughter inherited my iPad Air 2 which runs IOS14, also inherited my wife's 2014 11" MBA with 8GB RAM (I bought new from Apple and specified the memory upgrade) which runs IOS14. She was using an iPhone 5s so we part exchanged that for a used iPhone 7 with a good battery.

As for me. Up until yesterday I was using an iPhone 6s and the battery was getting close to service. My wife found a good deal at our local 'go to' guy here so now I have an iPhone 8 which is only a couple of months old and perfect battery. Sold the 6s to one of my wife's friends. The final decision is whether or not to update my 2009 MacBook White. I only bought it so that I could run OS Sierra and my third party ripping software could copy movies from iTunes (for personal use). The girls are older now and its all about Netflix and You Tube we don't buy movies anymore so there is no reason for me to keep this old dinosaur!

Lastly still using a 2014 Time Capsule. I don't use or rely on the hard drive for backups its really there to facilitate 5Ghz WiFi as our service providers modem is a cheap old 2.4Ghz unit with poor performance. No plans to change this unit.

So there you have it. Pandemic budget upgrading so that everything bar my dinosaur runs the latest OS.

Reactions: frappedia

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My current set up. I think I'm done tweaking for now.

ptnMldU.jpg

Hmmm.

2 things I’d personally change with this setup, even though it’s well laid out and thought out is:
1. Place the iPad Pro dead center under the monitor behind the (current and #2 keyboard).
- allows for a better all day posture, keeps you focused (like HUD in a car), less neck/eye strain.
2. Replace the Apple keyboard with Logitech that allows switching between Mac/PC and iPad Pro.
- I do this with K380 (I miss numerical keypad but that’ll be 1st week of January) between my iPad Pro and Win10 PC for work. Works when standing or sitting and it’s easy to focus on the iPad or ignore (personal use not corporate).

Hopefully this tip is useful for you. Beautiful setup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.