Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
No Mac Studio pics yet. ?
Here's the studio display with my M1 iMac and M1 MBP :) Universal control is sweet!

0AB5B88F-CC8C-4B55-B886-D9BDEA1C8B05_1_201_a.jpeg

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
Nice setup you have there. ?
Thanks! I have my desk temporarily against the West-facing windows while I get mini-split ACs installed, but I'm moving it back to the South wall as soon as that's finished. Even this new studio display isn't bright enough to use with the setting sun in my face. I'm going to the back porch for the rest of the afternoon.

Reactions: LFC2020

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
how does it compare to the M1 iMac and MacBook display?
It's noticeably better than both M1 iMac and M1 MBP, but I wouldn't say it makes me go WOW in comparison. It's brighter, better contrast, and slightly warmer than either M1 machine, but both of those already have awesome displays. Unfortunately I don't have any mini-LED Macs/iPads for comparison.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
hey I think I had that computer case on the floor at some point.
PowerMac 8500. Upgraded with a dual PPC 603 processor card.
Chair looks nice!
I still have the chair and the desk. I use a different office chair now but the old one is still hanging around. The desk is still in use.

I’m trying to remember what some of the stuff on the desk is for. The bigger box sitting on the external CD drive is a DAT digital tape backup system. The box on top of that simulates a analog phone line including ring and answer for modem testing. The webcam is a 1995 or so Connectix 320x240 grayscale device. Like I said, state of the art.

I’m still trying to remember what the wooden thing on the far left was.

chikorita157

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2019
Germantown, MD
Finally upgraded from an M1 Mac mini to the new base model Mac Studio with the M1 Max, which I picked up at the Apple Store (planning to take back the preorder from Best Buy since I can't cancel the order). I mainly upgraded since 16 GB of RAM is not enough and the memory pressure was getting a bit above 50%, meaning it's not enough for my use cases.

Since selling it is not feasible since depreciation of it is too much ($750-800 on /r/hardwareswap), I decided to replace my 2014 Mac mini, which I was using since Fall 2015 as a server. I had to get a more expensive iSCSI initiator software that connects to TrueNAS server with 64 TB of storage in RaidZ2 via 10 Gigabit Ethernet and get an upgraded license for SoftRaid for the OWC ThunderBay 4 array, which stores backups.

I am not rich, although I make a good living and can't afford the Studio Display monitors, so I am stuck with Dell Ultrasharp U2415 and okay with non-retina monitors. The compile times are just as good as my M1 MacBook Pro 16. Will eventually go 10-gigabit ethernet eventually, but the switches and thunderbolt adapters are expensive. Mostly done with my tech upgrades for this year, besides the Apple Watch 8.

DSC05409.jpg
DSC05411.jpg

Equipment:
2x Dell Ultrasharp U2415
OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock
Corsair STRAFE Gaming Keyboard
Magic Trackpad (Space Gray)
Bowers and Wilkins M-1 connected to a NAD D3020v2
USB Blu-Ray Drive and Sandisk Extreme Portable SSD 1 TB

Last edited:

dizmonk

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2010
Finally upgraded from an M1 Mac mini to the new base model Mac Studio with the M1 Max, which I picked up at the Apple Store (planning to take back the preorder from Best Buy since I can't cancel the order). I mainly upgraded since 16 GB of RAM is not enough and the memory pressure was getting a bit above 50%, meaning it's not enough for my use cases.

Since selling it is not feasible since depreciation of it is too much ($750-800 on /r/hardwareswap), I decided to replace my 2014 Mac mini, which I was using since Fall 2015 as a server. I had to get a more expensive iSCSI initiator software that connects to TrueNAS server with 64 TB of storage in RaidZ2 via 10 Gigabit Ethernet and get an upgraded license for SoftRaid for the OWC ThunderBay 4 array, which stores backups.

I am not rich, although I make a good living and can't afford the Studio Display monitors, so I am stuck with Dell Ultrasharp U2415 and okay with non-retina monitors. The compile times are just as good as my M1 MacBook Pro 16. Will eventually go 10-gigabit ethernet eventually, but the switches and thunderbolt adapters are expensive. Mostly done with my tech upgrades for this year, besides the Apple Watch 8.

View attachment 1976687 View attachment 1976688
Equipment:
2x Dell Ultrasharp U2415
OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock
Corsair STRAFE Gaming Keyboard
Magic Trackpad (Space Gray)
Bowers and Wilkins M-1 connected to a NAD D3020v2
USB Blu-Ray Drive and Sandisk Extreme Portable SSD 1 TB
Any connection/flickering issues with your Dell monitors and the new Studio? How did you connect them?

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
I've posted various setups on this thread over the years, but my latest is the :apple: setup I've always wanted. Hello Studio Display!
  • M1 MacBook Air (Gold)
  • Studio Display (finally!!!)
  • AirPods Max (Space Gray)
  • HomePod (no idea why its discontinued because its tremendous)
  • Apple Watch Series 4 (Gold Stainless Steel)
  • Grovemade Leather Desk Pad (tan)
  • Shot on iPhone 13 Pro (Gold)

IMG_1534.jpeg

IMG_1532.jpeg

IMG_1536.jpeg

Last edited:

The Clark

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2013
Canada
I've posted various setups on this thread over the years, but my latest is the :apple: setup I've always wanted. Hello Studio Display!
  • M1 MacBook Air (Gold)

View attachment 1977151
View attachment 1977152
View attachment 1977157
That's a beautiful setup you have there!

How are you enjoying the Studio Display? In your opinion, is it worth it?

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
  • M1 MacBook Air (Gold)

View attachment 1977151
View attachment 1977152
View attachment 1977157
Loving the look of the desk. What is the make, model, etcetera? Thanks

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
That's a beautiful setup you have there!

How are you enjoying the Studio Display? In your opinion, is it worth it?
Thanks. It is everything I've been wanting for many, many years since the Thunderbolt Display died on the vine. I've been saying seemingly forever, just wrap the 5K iMac display-only in aluminum and ditch the chin. They finally did it.

Yes, it is expensive but the LG UltraFine is literally the only direct equivalent resolution wise (5K Retina at 218ppi) and still costs $1,299 so the $300 premium is well worth it if you can afford it.

The reviewers that are grading it relative to wish cast features that either don't even exist yet on any other display or that would increase the price dramatically are out of their minds. I love it!

*Yes, the camera would benefit from ISP tuning in a future software update, but the hardware shouldn't be the issue if it is the same as the versions of the 12MP Center Stage camera in other devices. It's noticeably noisy relative to the M1 iMac webcam I migrated from but it is by no means unusable. Just not up to what they touted during the keynote so hopefully a fix comes soon.

Last edited:

The Clark

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2013
Canada
Thanks. It is everything I've been wanting for many, many years since the Thunderbolt Display died on the vine. I've been saying seemingly forever, just wrap the 5K iMac display-only in aluminum and ditch the chin. They finally did it.

Yes, it is expensive but the LG UltraFine is literally the only direct equivalent resolution wise (5K Retina at 218ppi) and still costs $1,299 so the $300 premium is well worth it if you can afford it.

The reviewers that are grading it relative to wish cast features that either don't even exist yet on any other display or that would increase the price dramatically are out of their minds. I love it!

*Yes, the camera would benefit from ISP tuning in a future software update, but the hardware shouldn't be the issue if it is the same as the versions of the 12MP Center Stage camera in other devices. It's noticeably noisy relative to the M1 iMac webcam I migrated from but it is by no means unusable. Just not up to what they touted during the keynote so hopefully a fix comes soon.

You've been very patient hahaha. I have a MBP 14" and I've been dying to use it with a native 5k panel. My 4K LG monitor is nice, but the scaling isn't ideal and there's really no other alternatives aside from the insanely high price UltraFine.

That's very true, plus you know, YT reviewers opinions are usually so sheep-minded. They usually echo all of the same sentiments.

I personally don't care about the web camera as I'll be using a digital camera for all recording purposes but I totally understand why users are anxiously waiting for an update.

Thanks for sharing, I'm going to pick one up soon!

Reactions: PatriotInvasion

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
  • M1 MacBook Air (Gold)

View attachment 1977151
View attachment 1977152
View attachment 1977157
where did you get the Hello framed picture?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.