Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Whoops, my bad, edited/corrected
I had an Aeron for years and recently switched to this one, but was use to spamming Aeron when people ask what chair, haha!

Thanks

No problem - I knew right away since I've also used an Aeron at work and home for years and years. What's your opinion on the Embody vs. the Aeron?

macgeek18

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2009
Northern California
0b0d80c34ce4bb9856ea9c1eee4244f1.jpg

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Secretly this is my favorite thread on the forum to lurk, but I haven't really posted in it.

I'm living in a rather temporary setup, and so I haven't really set anything up properly, but it's working for now. I'd love to actually mount my RGB LED strip (rather than just lay it there), but at least I can't see it while I'm using the computer. I didn't really bother to implement any kind of cable management, either, and the art work on the wall isn't mine.

My setup is as follows:

Desktop PC (right): i7 4790K, GTX970 Gaming, 16 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD + mass HDD. Connected primarily to ASUS VG248QE (144Hz, 1ms) and to the Dell U2713HM next to it. Windows 7. Used for gaming, photo editing, music production.

Laptop (Left): Mid-2010 17" MacBook Pro, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD. Connected to the Dell U2713HM (also connected to the PC). Dual boot with OS X El Capitan and Windows 10 (Bootcamp). Used for daily browsing, school, programming, office, and on the go (naturally).

The desk on the left is a sit/stand desk from IKEA that raises/lowers by crank in about 60 seconds, which is very, very nice to use. It's also nice having both computers attached to the Dell 27" IPS 1440p display since the PC is way more powerful for photo editing. Both desks have extra-large desk mats. Oh, and there's an iPad first generation :cool:

The keyboards I use most are the Realforce 87U in 45g uniform weighting and the HHKB Pro 2 (both shown). I also use a few other unique boards such as the IBM SpaceSaver Model M (tenkeyless), KUL ES-87 with Japanese keycaps and custom Zealios switches, and a Cherry G80-1800, among others.

I only just got the MacBook Pro 17-inch last week and I'm loving it so far. It's almost six years old, which makes it pretty much the gramophone of computers, but it doesn't feel it at all for what I use it for. The screen is easily the best TN display I've used, and 17" 16:10 1920x1200 is positively glorious on a laptop -- tons of space and no scaling issues at all. Best part is it was very afforable compared with any of the newer ones (especially in Canada right now); it's in flawless shape, battery still gives over 5 hours, and back then the keyboards were a bit better.

DSC07437.jpg

DSC07448_2.jpg

DSC07438.jpg

DSC07442.jpg

DSC07445.jpg

raymondkerr

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
My most recent setup taken last month. New addition to the desk is my 5K Retina iMac. Sits nicely next to my 27" Thunderbolt Display which I use for my 2014 Retina 13" Macbook Pro when at the desk. iPad Air 2 in Gold soon to be upgraded to a 9.7" Pro with Pencil. Wacom Bamboo Tablet which I rarely use now. The New Magic Mouse/Keyboard & trackpads version 2. My Sony A6000 with 50mm F1.8 Lens, GoPRO Hero 3+ and my Bose headphones for editing. Joby Gorillapod for my A6000 and lastly my Sphero BB8 I got got Christmas. Oh and my old Apple TV which sits there unused as I got the new Apple TV connected to my 47" LG TV.
April 2016 Setup.jpg

kryten42

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2015
In a little world of my own
This is very unimpressive right now I need to get a new desk setup very soon, and love some of those in this thread!

Mac Setup.jpg

Got my rMBP hooked up to the Thunderbolt Display and a Dell P2715Q 4K display, the rMBP is on a Rain mStand and am using a standard wireless keyboard and magic trackpad. Panasonic conference phone, old LG Nexus 4 Android phone (iPhone 6s was used to take the photo!) and iPad Air 2. Then to right I have and old Dell 22" display hooked up to a Mac Mini which has a superdrive and 8 port gigabit switch sat on top of it, and itself is sat on my Synology DS1511+ 5 bay NAS, below that are two Buffalo Terrastations (one is off right now) which are local backups to the Synology. I have my Airport Extreme on top with a Plantronics Savvi 720 headset (excellent choice for anyone who works at home, does Bluetooth, land line and VOIP all in one device, and is wireless). Behind the rMBP is a Panasonic land line phone for use with the headset, and then under the rMBP on the mStand is an OWX Thunderbolt 2 dock. All hooked up to UPSs that are hidden from view.

I have speakers (Harman/Kardon Soundstick's) that I cannot fit on my desk right now :(

Can't wait to renovate my home office to make this space much more usable, and a lot better looking!

Reactions: Altis

Jesiah

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2015
The Netherlands
hi Guys, Finished my setup using allot of Philips Hue / HK omni 2.0 and my brand spanking new maxed out iMac. My chillout corner on the left consists of a Picade mame emulator and a Numark DJAY pro.. love it :)

View attachment 629986

Do you experience any fans speeding up massively, making the iMac quite loud, during average use? (Youtube vids, movies, etc...) And can you give me the specs maybe? Thank you in advance, sir.

AppleMooseMan

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
Hey everyone. I've had my 5k iMac for a few months now – best machine I've ever used. I also regularly download 4k videos from Youtube and use them as my screensaver using SaveHollywood. I'd really recommend it to others with a 4k or 5k display.

IMG_0037.jpg
IMG_0038.jpg

iMac 21.5" late 2012 3.1 Ghz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram 1TB Fusion Drive Nvidia GeForce GT 650M
IMac 27" 5k late 2015 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 16GB RAM 256GB SSD AMD R9 M380

Reactions: KashKave and Tucom

mroffbeat

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
Amsterdam
Do you experience any fans speeding up massively, making the iMac quite loud, during average use? (Youtube vids, movies, etc...) And can you give me the specs maybe? Thank you in advance, sir.

So sorry for the late reply.
My imac 5k i7 / m395x / 32gb gives zero fan noise on average usage.
only when encoding or heavy 3d gaming the fan will turn up.

BoneDaddy

Suspended
Jan 8, 2015
Texas
One of my wife's mother's day gifts from the kids and I. Each girl (2, 5, and 12) painted their own shelf (bottom), and the boy got his foot prints on the inside. On the way is a thunderbolt dock, headphones, BT speaker, and colored LED bulb for the center of the lamp, to finish off her setup.

Her old setup, with older mac, started to get crowded...
Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 1.03.52 AM.png

So we gave her more space...

Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 1.06.04 AM.png

I like to edit photos like this. Here's the process. Paintings, youngest to oldest.

Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 1.08.56 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 1.09.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 1.09.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 1.09.30 AM.png

Put the boy's footprints on and installed hoots, decor, and a lamp.

Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 1.10.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 1.09.40 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 1.10.17 AM.png

Happy late mother's day to you moms.

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
One of my wife's mother's day gifts from the kids and I. Each girl (2, 5, and 12) painted their own shelf (bottom), and the boy got his foot prints on the inside. On the way is a thunderbolt dock, headphones, BT speaker, and colored LED bulb for the center of the lamp, to finish off her setup.

As a mum (Australian English), this is awesome! :)

Reactions: mrlol198

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia

Her old setup, with older mac, started to get crowded...
View attachment 631340

So we gave her more space...

View attachment 631341

I like to edit photos like this. Here's the process. Paintings, youngest to oldest.

View attachment 631342
View attachment 631343
View attachment 631344
View attachment 631345

Put the boy's footprints on and installed hoots, decor, and a lamp.

View attachment 631346
View attachment 631347 View attachment 631348
Haha i don't mean ANY offense at all, so please dont take any from this.
But something about that set up makes me think of horror movies haha seems really creepy to me:D

Reactions: puckhead193

BoneDaddy

Suspended
Jan 8, 2015
Texas
Haha i don't mean ANY offense at all, so please dont take any from this.
But something about that set up makes me think of horror movies haha seems really creepy to me:D

Ha, no, that's funny. No offense taken. Please tell me how though. I'd love to use whatever it is you see to get into my wife's head, as she is a major scaredy cat and hates horror movies. Maybe it's her dolls? Perhaps it's the scissors... Oh, maybe the baby footprints going up the side.

Reactions: MRxROBOT

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Ha, no, that's funny. No offense taken. Please tell me how though. I'd love to use whatever it is you see to get into my wife's head, as she is a major scaredy cat and hates horror movies. Maybe it's her dolls? Perhaps it's the scissors... Oh, maybe the baby footprints going up the side.
haha nothing in particular, its the whole thing of using baby pastel colours, the use of wood. It looks man made, like as if in a horror movie basement haha the baby footprints and the death moth add to the whole thing haha. The brain works funny sometimes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.