Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macquariumguy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Sarasota FL
My Macs circa 1988. I was running a little desktop publishing business at home.
img200.jpg

iso667

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2016
View attachment 897177

It's a terrible picture but I sold my Mac Pro yesterday and bought a new Mac Mini

How is it working??

I have a TB Display too and thinking about buying a Mac mini.

Nowadays I have a MacBook Pro 13” touchbar 2016 model with 512GB SSD but I’m always running out of space.

I use the computer mostly at the office and at home. At home I have a lacie rugged 4TB thunderbolt drive and a Synology NAS. The drive is connected to the TBD but I have to shut down the computer or use programs like jettison to unmount drives every time and sometimes it fails.

I’m thinking in buying one mini for home to store all my photos and data, with the 4TB drive always plugged and use the MBP for work, or sell it and buy a MBA with minimum specs that will work ok at the office.

Which model did you get? Is it good enough comparing with an old Mac Pro??

Thanks!!

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
How is it working??

I have a TB Display too and thinking about buying a Mac mini.

Nowadays I have a MacBook Pro 13” touchbar 2016 model with 512GB SSD but I’m always running out of space.

I use the computer mostly at the office and at home. At home I have a lacie rugged 4TB thunderbolt drive and a Synology NAS. The drive is connected to the TBD but I have to shut down the computer or use programs like jettison to unmount drives every time and sometimes it fails.

I’m thinking in buying one mini for home to store all my photos and data, with the 4TB drive always plugged and use the MBP for work, or sell it and buy a MBA with minimum specs that will work ok at the office.

Which model did you get? Is it good enough comparing with an old Mac Pro??

Thanks!!

I had a 2012 3.46 hex/48GB/RX480

A couple of months ago I converted a 2009 MP I had to a server and threw all my drives into it and put in the basement for some noise reduction. Since my job no longer requires horsepower I simply bought a baseline MM since I don't need storage (server) and don't need massive HP (new job). This thing will be fine for the little Ps I need and is more than enough for Omni. Since my needs have changed this thing is more than enough but the key for me is it's absolutely quiet!

heyisti

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2010
Currently but not complete yet. 32" w/MBP15 mid2012 & Swan's M10 speaker
Going to get another 32". My apple cinema 30 display brick burn out so it sitting in the corner.
IMG_20200308_144125.jpg

Reactions: ipos

Sammio2

Cancelled
Aug 16, 2008
how did you mount the VESA with that desk? Did you remove something?

Haha yes a chunk of the desk with a saw, just took a section out of the cable run at the back. Looks rubbish if the back is on display but for me it never is!

ChromeCrescendo

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2020
Added a henge dock to my setup so I can use my work issued MBP Retina 13" 2015 and my personal MBP Retina 13" 2013 alternately. Works like a charm with my LG 34UC99-W (34" Ultrawide), Apple Extended Keyboard as well as my MX Master 2S. :)

View attachment 900925
View attachment 900924

How does that monitor compare to an iMac 5K Retina display? I am assuming it would not be as crisp/sharp as the iMac - but, would love to be wrong as it would open up my options to moving to a Mac Mini or MBP

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My Macs circa 1988. I was running a little desktop publishing business at home.
img200.jpg

Dayum! I love the modern setups we've seen in this thread over the last few short years just as much as the next guy ... but I really REALLY appreciate golden era setups like this.

@macquariumguy
you must've been on the forefront or Mac OS and Desktop publishing back in '88.

Very curious just how much did you make back then, profitable or extremely profitable?

Very curious how much stocks did you purchase back then and still was able to hold beyond 1997-99.

Lastly ... what's your current setup today?

EDIT: adding a little something for you and others to appreciate where OSX (rebranded macOS) came from. The OG Macintosh would have the engineers etch their names within the internal housing, but the NeXT machines would have the software engineers put their pictures within the software ;)

Attachments

• NeXT OpenStep 4.2 Betrand Serlet.png
    NeXT OpenStep 4.2 Betrand Serlet.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 186
Reactions: Schismz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.