Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blasto333

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2004
23 Seconds. I own an intel iMac and it always boots fast! I hardly ever restart it though because OS X is so nice and stable.

ThingM

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2009
I don't know why they say powerbooks are slow, mine can kill a macbook pro anytime!

Powerbook G4 1.67 GHZ 2GB Ram Dual LAYER SD 15"

My boot time is 15 seconds.

I am impressed myself! ;)

Cheers

matthewscott661

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2009
Chicago
MacBook Unibody 2GHz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HDD, OS X 10.5.8

42 seconds to desktop, pretty good considering that includes entering my name and password at the login screen.

vpkb1998

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2009
Snow Leopard build 10A432.

iMac 7,1 2.4 Ghz 4gig RAM - 1TB Seagate Barracuda 32MB Cache.

= 42 seconds from completely off stage & 39 seconds from a restart.

MBA Rev A. 1.6Ghz 2gig RAM - 80GB non SSD.

= 55 seconds from a restart.

ThingM

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2009
There are many operations to speed up your mac as did to my insanely fast powerbook!
(yes i have a powerbook G4, stop laughing intel mac users)

1. Try your best to remove applications you don't usually use (more hd available, the more space your ram has for process transfers) ex. i don't use garageband
2.Try to leave little files or folders in your desktop as possible ( this will significantly decrease your boot time)
3. Try using Onyx or other maintenence apps to handle permission repair, scripts etc.

Thats so far what I'll recommend if you want to decrease boot time as well as improve your macs performance.

PS, try to max out your ram your machine can handle; you can never get enough ram;)
Hope this helps (MidgetSanchez)

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

My Boot time:15 Seconds

Cheers

vpkb1998

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2009
There are many operations to speed up your mac as did to my insanely fast powerbook!
(yes i have a powerbook G4, stop laughing intel mac users)

1. Try your best to remove applications you don't usually use (more hd available, the more space your ram has for process transfers) ex. i don't use garageband
2.Try to leave little files or folders in your desktop as possible ( this will significantly decrease your boot time)
3. Try using Onyx or other maintenence apps to handle permission repair, scripts etc.

Thats so far what I'll recommend if you want to decrease boot time as well as improve your macs performance.

PS, try to max out your ram your machine can handle; you can never get enough ram;)
Hope this helps (MidgetSanchez)

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

My Boot time:15 Seconds

Cheers

or simply turn it on and then use the restroom, or go get a cup of coffee or soda; come back and your computer should be ready to go ;-)

rerelease

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
eesti
MacBook Unibody 2GHz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HDD, OS X 10.5.8

42 seconds to desktop, pretty good considering that includes entering my name and password at the login screen.
Wow. I have a unibody MB as well. Except 2.4 GHz, 2GB Ram, 250GB HDD and OS X 10.6

I also used automatic login instead of manually entering username & pw.

53 seconds from pressing the button.

---

Could having two disk partitions slow booting down?

matthewscott661

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2009
Chicago
Wow. I have a unibody MB as well. Except 2.4 GHz, 2GB Ram, 250GB HDD and OS X 10.6

I also used automatic login instead of manually entering username & pw.

53 seconds from pressing the button.

---

Could having two disk partitions slow booting down?

I have two partitions, too, and don't think it makes a noticeable difference.
Just make sure you repair permissions after installing applications and run maintenance scripts regularly with onyx or something similar.

rerelease

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
eesti
Fixing permission shaved off five seconds, it's now down to 48. Thanks.

I'll wait for Intel's x25 SSDs to come on sale. I'll do a clean install of Leopard on it and can compare how boot time is affected.

Buzz Bumble

Oct 19, 2008
New Zealand
I've never timed my Mac OS 9 beige G3 minitower, but probably less than 1.5 minutes.

On the other side, this pathetic Windoze PC takes around 7 minutes to get to a point where it's usable (or as usable as Windoze gets) ... then add another 3 minutes waiting for Outlook to start up. :(

Ninja Dom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2007
How are you all getting these SUPER-FAST times???

MacBook 2.1GHz, 4Gb Ram, 10.5.8

1 minute 5 seconds?!?!? :mad:

Elbert C

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
AK, USA
The last time I checked my PBG4 1.67 Oct. 2005 rev boots to the login page in about 20 - 23 sec. My early 2008 2.5 MBP does the same in about 25 - 30 sec.

Detektiv-Pinky

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Berlin, Germany
Unibody Macbook 2.0

I have Filevault enabled and non-automatic login.

13 sec until the gray Apple logo
~40 sec to the login-screen
~60 sec to the icons on the desktop
~1min 15 sec ForkLift is up and usable (auto-start)

This machine has always felt 'slow' to me :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.