Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
Do you wish to start??
I personally dont want a PDA. My laptop does everything that i want + more and i carry it everywhere so i have no need for a PDA.

ntrsfrml

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2006
Vancouver, Canada
SE M600i

photo33fr0.jpg

Nokia E70

photo28px8.jpg

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
What do I use? Kind of funny when I think about it! :)

I've owned and used Newton OS devices, Palm OS devices and Pocket PC devices.

Now I've gone back to a simple piece of paper! It has my calendar, agenda, to do's, etc. Fold it into sixths. Fits into my front pocket. Works well for me. Usually I update it once per week on the computer.

My cell phone has key phone numbers.

calyxman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2005
It's six years old. Every now and then I have to twist the unit so that the digitizer would work. Nothing fancy; just syncs up with Entourage. Can't wait until the iPhone comes out, however.

Attachments

• DSCN0670.JPG
    DSCN0670.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 66

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Hi, my name's Matt and I've been addicted to the BlackBerry for almost two years now.

"Hi, Matt."

BlackBerry 8700c. Syncs fine with Entourage via PocketMac on everything except contacts; PocketMac likes to create duplicates of everyone in my address book and wipe out PIN numbers. Very frustrating that there isn't any real BB software for Mac, since I sort of see the BlackBerry as the Mac of the mobile world: clean, efficient, intuitive, if you get it you get it.

Sorry about the crap photo, I took it with my iMac because that was a lot more convenient than my digicam.

Attachments

• blackberry.jpg
    blackberry.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 80

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2006
Missouri
Palms swept my school back in 7th grade. Some kid had a Palm m505, and some students had the Sony clies. I managed to talk my mom into getting me a m105 for my Birthday. I upgraded to an m505 in eighth grade. I then got a Tungsten T|3 for Christmas in 9th grade. However, I used it mainly for games, making quick animations, and for causing trouble in class by turning on the TVs. When I got my PSP two years ago, I sold the T3 on eBay. To this day, I've been looking at getting another. I just hate what Palm has done with their line. I really want a model that "opens" like the T-line used to. The T|X feels and looks cheap in my opinion. And the LifeDrive is a monster.

And too bad Sony got out of the market. I hope that Palm releases a more multi-media specific Palm before I head out to college. Something along the lines of the Zodiac.

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
ntrsfrml said:

How do you like that thing? I've been looking into a more pda-centric phone because I'd like the bigger screen and keypad (mostly for texting :eek: ), and I'd really like to try an SE because I hear nothing but good about them.

My other options are the treo and the new t-mob dash. Or an HTC, but all of those are super expensive. I'd really like an SK3, but I'm on Cingular and without the Danger servers the capabilities are really crippled.

Anyway, to keep this OT, if I DO end up with a PDA I'll post it :D

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
mattcube64 said:
Palms swept my school back in 7th grade. Some kid had a Palm m505, and some students had the Sony clies. I managed to talk my mom into getting me a m105 for my Birthday. I upgraded to an m505 in eighth grade. I then got a Tungsten T|3 for Christmas in 9th grade. However, I used it mainly for games, making quick animations, and for causing trouble in class by turning on the TVs. When I got my PSP two years ago, I sold the T3 on eBay. To this day, I've been looking at getting another. I just hate what Palm has done with their line. I really want a model that "opens" like the T-line used to. The T|X feels and looks cheap in my opinion. And the LifeDrive is a monster.

And too bad Sony got out of the market. I hope that Palm releases a more multi-media specific Palm before I head out to college. Something along the lines of the Zodiac.
:eek: what on earth could you have needed a palm pilot for in the 8th grade (pre-8th, really, considering you "upgraded" then)! dang, for games you should have just gotten one of those nifty gameboy colors and been done with it.

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
xfiftyfour said:
:eek: what on earth could you have needed a palm pilot for in the 8th grade (pre-8th, really, considering you "upgraded" then)! dang, for games you should have just gotten one of those nifty gameboy colors and been done with it.

Uh...Keeping track of schedule, homework, friends/contacts, handy calculator, etc?

When I was in Junior high I started carrying around an HP 100LX, then a 200LX everyday. Was it necessary? No. Was it fun? Yes.

By the time I got to College, the necessary quotient was full....I NEED a PDA now...

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
Cameront9 said:
Uh...Keeping track of schedule, homework, friends/contacts, handy calculator, etc?

When I was in Junior high I started carrying around an HP 100LX, then a 200LX everyday. Was it necessary? No. Was it fun? Yes.

By the time I got to College, the necessary quotient was full....I NEED a PDA now...
lol, please. grab a planner for your schedule and homework, your contacts will have no doubt been in your cell, and handy calculator? :rolleyes:

i understand the need for one in college (well, for some.. i just use my MB), but there's absolutely no convincing me that an 8th grader has any need for a pda. when your 13 your mommy and daddy are keeping track of everything for you, anyway.

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2006
Missouri
No, I agree. There was no need for me to get one. However, one person got one, then another, and before you knew it, 25 or so eighth graders had one. I actually had one of the cheapest ones when I had my m105.

I then found the m505 for a great deal, and mixed my birthday money with my lawn mowing money to buy it. There was this animation program that I used in school to pass the time. You could create a slide, copy it, edit it, and play it back like a flipbook. Loads of fun. Plus I could watch TV shows on it, etc. Remember, this was pre-PSP days.

The T3 was my big Christmas gift. I actually wasn't even asking for it, but my grandpa knew I really wanted it. He had a little extra cash that holiday, and said he really wanted to get it for me. Trust me, I didn't expect it, but was grateful I got it.

Still, I never used it for orginization. It was for games, movies, animations, and the occasional turning off of TVs to piss off the teacher, lol.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
mattcube64 said:
I really want a model that "opens" like the T-line used to. The T|X feels and looks cheap in my opinion. And the LifeDrive is a monster.

The Tungsten T5 is the true successor to the T3. It's got the same size screen, it just doesn't slide out like the T3 did.

Don't mean to make you jealous, but I just picked up a bargain T3 from a client of mine who "upgraded" to a Treo 650. I haven't regularly used a Palm since the days of the Handspring Visor, so the large screen and fast response times make the device much more useful to me.

It'll tide me over until Apple comes out with a smartphone or something, but perhaps I'll check out the Treo 680 even if it looks like only an incremental upgrade to the 650.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Say hello to the Treo. Looks pretty beat up, been using it for almost 2 years. Might upgrade to the Treo 680 when available and if tempted enough.

I Love This Thing!

dsc00602mr1.jpg

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
xfiftyfour said:
lol, please. grab a planner for your schedule and homework, your contacts will have no doubt been in your cell, and handy calculator? :rolleyes:

i understand the need for one in college (well, for some.. i just use my MB), but there's absolutely no convincing me that an 8th grader has any need for a pda. when your 13 your mommy and daddy are keeping track of everything for you, anyway.

Well I meant that when I first started using a PDA, I didn't need it, but gradually as I got older, the need was there.

Contacts in my Cell? This was a long time ago....Cell phones were bulky and expensive.

As for a paper planner, the whole point of a PDA for me is the integration/sync abilities with desktop. You can't do that with paper. Not to mention a PDA is potentially a lot smaller than a paper planner.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Cameront9 said:
As for a paper planner, the whole point of a PDA for me is the integration/sync abilities with desktop. You can't do that with paper. Not to mention a PDA is potentially a lot smaller than a paper planner.

That's what drove me back to a PDA: I took my work notes in a black Moleskin booklet, but they tended to disappear in there forever because it's a pain in the butt to search through my scrawled handwriting over page after page after page...

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2006
Missouri
Silencio said:
The Tungsten T5 is the true successor to the T3. It's got the same size screen, it just doesn't slide out like the T3 did.

Don't mean to make you jealous, but I just picked up a bargain T3 from a client of mine who "upgraded" to a Treo 650. I haven't regularly used a Palm since the days of the Handspring Visor, so the large screen and fast response times make the device much more useful to me.

It'll tide me over until Apple comes out with a smartphone or something, but perhaps I'll check out the Treo 680 even if it looks like only an incremental upgrade to the 650.

But it was the slider in my T3 that made me happy. :eek:

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
I've only had it for two weeks and I already can't imagine life without my Treo 700p. No Windows Mobile Trash for me! :)

700p.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.