Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benneh

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2006
Getting your code to look the same in every browser and W3C compliant could take forver, unless you just have a plain text website. Getting your flash website to look the same on all platforms and browsers is a doddle.

The navigation on your site can be done in xhtml/css within a few minutes and about 10 lines of codes, and still be cross browser compatible, and W3C happy. In fact, a lot of commercial and non-commercial text-based website do look great and still are xhtml/css valid.

If the reason for using flash is for cross browser compatibility, then you're using flash for all the wrong reasons. You might as well just use table layout, which, as opposed to flash applications, loads a lot faster. Or just use images as your text too - this way, not only does it display the way you want, it doesn't rely on the user's machine to have Flash installed.

Sure, most mainstream computers now 'should' have flash installed, but hey, not all are. And not all users have great vision like you and me. Visually impared users rely on screen readers to read... well, codes that you embed flash applications around.

Sorry, I'm not trying to have a personal go at you, but I just want to point out that the reason you justified for using flash isn't valid. I have nothing against you using flash for your navigation bar; it looks great and it works very well; nor do I have anything against making a flash based website. I would only use it where appropriate (i.e. that I'm extremely confident users would have Flash plugin installed, or I do a flash image replace; or the client specifically want it; or the website have to perform tasks that xhtml cannot (e.g. music, video))

Speaking of videos, I think the reason youtube is successful in using flash is because.. well, think back in the old days where we have to watch video in .mov or .wmv format, and you have that little window, that just wouldn't play because we dont' have the codecs for it. RealPlayer was such a pain....

afornander

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
hey, im 16 to!!!

i have used drupal, iweb, eecore, rapidweaver, and wordpress. but currently yous wordpress on my only site

http://bioandrew.com
if you want to get into creating websites, there should be some classes in your school that allow you to learn more about stuff like, java, html, php, ftp, ext... infact, im going into webmastering in my school next year.

goodluck!!

nicksoper

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2006
Cape Town
Flash vs XHTML

Thanks for all your points of view on the flash vs html war.

I was only trying to point out that a flash nav does the same job as an xhtml nav does, and now so many websites use flash and so many people have flash installed, there shouldn't really be a problem using it as far as the user is concerned.

I'm going out on a limb here by saying, (why do I do it to myself), if anything my navigation has added value as it provides a (given) minute amount more user feedback with the sound and animation, which simple rollovers don't do.

With that said, I've just coded an XHML site with a full (compliant) XHTML nav and there are some very handy things you can do.

:-D

Winterfell

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2007
Tulsa, Oklahoma
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~colin-anderson/website/

It's in desperate need of an update, and I need to post some of my coding projects/past work there. I even have web space for which I pay; I just haven't gotten around to it. :p

http://www.weneverforgot.com/ is my guild website for World of Warcraft. The design was done in Photoshop and then just sewn around a Wordpress blog for ease of use and updating. (Warning: may be NSFW). ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.