Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
Did a Reset All Settings this morning so I'm hoping to start seeing more Proactive stuff on my iPhone.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
Nope, as soon as Bluetooth connects to my vehicle, the first "A" song in my library becomes the active song, still...
Mine picks up right where I left off.

I guess it depends how long it has been since oh stop using the Music app and if rm was needed and it was closed down?

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
Mine picks up right where I left off.

I guess it depends how long it has been since oh stop using the Music app and if rm was needed and it was closed down?

It probably has to do with RAM. If the app gets dumped from the background, the OS probably does not remember where it left off so it starts from the top.

Reactions: LunarFalcon

cpenner

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2013
It probably has to do with RAM. If the app gets dumped from the background, the OS probably does not remember where it left off so it starts from the top.

I agree this is probably the case, but I just find it odd that I can open the music app after it was dumped from memory, and the last song that was played is highlighted in the now playing bar at the bottom, albeit paused. It seems if I hit play before my iPhone connects to Bluetooth, it will correctly pick up where it left off, but even though it is the "active" song, if I leave it paused, and not push it into memory by hitting play, the first "A" song plays instead. It's just weird

Mufaddal

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2012
Chicago
The last couple of times I've gotten in the car with Bluetooth, I've used google maps for directions. Now the google maps icon shows on the lock screen when I get in the car.

It's learning....

eastamherstbias

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012
My phone has been doing this ever since I bought a vehicle that supported bluetooth music streaming. I don't think that is part of Proactive. It can be very jarring at times. I wish there was a way to prevent it.

It drives me crazy. Every time I get into my car it play the first song in the alphabet which is a random disney sing along song. I wish I could at least set the default play song.

Jamesk811

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2015
When I swipe to the right from left side of screen I get no suggestions at all just a blank screen. I've tried every possible solution such as resetting my phone, turning off and then on again the Siri suggestions and Spotlight suggestions but still nothing...

I am from Australia but currently on holidays in Europe so maybe this is the issue??

mpfuchs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
VA
It drives me crazy. Every time I get into my car it play the first song in the alphabet which is a random disney sing along song. I wish I could at least set the default play song.

This has changed for me recently. I started playing a random song.
Have you rebooted your device recently?

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I loaded the PB2 on my new Air 2 the other day and proactive was not working.

I see it working today and thanks for this thread. I am pretty much in the dark with this feature so will play catch up and get some ideas for the best way to use it for me. Is there a tutorial, I have not read anything but the OP yet so maybe it is included in this thread.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
The only things I've noticed are the app suggestions update well based on my typical usage, and the past few days it's given me traffic reports to home and to work when I get in the car, which is really nice. I haven't checked the task switcher for pre-loaded apps because all my most used apps are on the first page of my home screen and it's simply easier to tap the icon.

coffeemadmanUK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2012
United Kingdom
So you need to bring up the multi tasking for it to suggest things? When I swipe left to the proactive screen it just lists people, apps and news but they don't really change much.

mpfuchs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
VA
So you need to bring up the multi tasking for it to suggest things? When I swipe left to the proactive screen it just lists people, apps and news but they don't really change much.

Either that, or it shows in the bottom left corner on the lock screen.
Basically if you see the icon in the lock screen, and touch ID for example unlocks too quick, you can still bring up the app switcher (multi tasking) and it'll be there in the bottom.
Same as continuity.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
image.png

Simple like that. Since I play ラブライブ! heavily when plug in my headphone, iOS 9 suggests this app based on this. Interestingly to see, it is also available in multitasking view.

I wonder, why it doesn't suggest music app since I listen to music more than playing this game. That's because this app uses music playback API, rather than using ringtone related API?

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
This is when I get in my car now every day. It's really nice and it started happening after the last beta.

I get traffic and music app because I usually play music as soon as the Bluetooth connects.
f05964aa0ed5185cf60bece72c478187.jpg

EDIT:

And going home.

61a0fd3e85f75bb60c7a429476e4eacc.jpg

Last edited:

lokey

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2003
As I leave work all this week I'm now getting traffic reports and ETA home notifications on my Watch thanks to iOS 9's Proactive stuff.

The only problem I see is that I don't get the notification until I'm already in my car and taking off, usually a mile down the road. I haven't had notification of traffic yet, but if so I really hope it sends me the notification with more advance notice, because I'm already headed in a specific direction well before this alert comes in.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
As I leave work all this week I'm now getting traffic reports and ETA home notifications on my Watch thanks to iOS 9's Proactive stuff.

The only problem I see is that I don't get the notification until I'm already in my car and taking off, usually a mile down the road. I haven't had notification of traffic yet, but if so I really hope it sends me the notification with more advance notice, because I'm already headed in a specific direction well before this alert comes in.
I also started getting in on my watch but usually I get it when the Bluetooth in the car connects to the phone.

or334

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2014
Hey everyone, can you please post your System Services settings under Location services settings?
So far I never managed to get any Proactive suggestion and I'm using the iOS 9 beta since day 1.
I'm trying to figure out if it's related to any location service that needs to be turned on.

Reactions: HansumKingtut

dcp10

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Hey everyone, can you please post your System Services settings under Location services settings?
So far I never managed to get any Proactive suggestion and I'm using the iOS 9 beta since day 1.
I'm trying to figure out if it's related to any location service that needs to be turned on.

Might be controlled with the location based alerts setting. I discovered I had mine off accidentally so now I'm waiting to see if it changes anything for me.

I wish Apple would create a Proactive settings group and make it obvious what part(s) of Proactive are on/off. It seems like ever since the Notification Center was added Apple just wanted it to seem "like magic", but IMO it's just lead to a whole lot of confusion like in this thread and others.

aldrinjtauro

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2014
Birmingham, AL
I don't get any suggested apps (I guess iOS hasn't noticed a pattern in my usage), but when I get in my car and plug up my phone into my Honda (with iPod integration), it automatically puts music controls on the lock screen, suggests Music, and if the stereo is on, automatically plays my songs. Unfortunately, it starts from the first song alphabetically w/o shuffle, so I hear "Acapella" by Karmin, a song I used to like, but now hate b/c of the repetitiveness.

Reactions: VSMacOne
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.