Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mariahlullaby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2005
NYC
I thought it would be fun to start a recipe thread here at MacRumors. Since we've got people from all over (and different region's cooking styles), this could even become a great resource when we're in the mood for something new to cook.

So if you have a great recipe you want to share or if you just know of a simple pasta dish you like to eat, share it here.

I'm heading out grocery shopping for dinner so I'll post something later, once it's cooked :)

So, the rules:

1. You must post a photo of the dish (keep them to original photos of dishes you made, no Google image-searching)
2. Post the recipe/instructions along with it!

Happy cooking!

xper

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2005
Sweden - Halmstad
My "Food 2007"-set at flickr

Today:

Gorgonzola nuked chickenfilé with bacon around it, 2dl creme fraiche with one big red paprika, one big red onion and gorgonzola mixed together.
A potatoe gratin to go with it.

(sorry, cant describe the ingredience more cause i never use recipes)

1672269774_2070b60f58_b_d.jpg

(tell me if the 1024 x 683 picture is to big for you so i can post a smaller one instead)

mariahlullaby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2005
NYC
I made this last night (sorry for the bad pic, I had to use my iSight instead of the regular digital camera) as I was craving this orange cream sauce they had put on pasta at a restaurant I was at a few months ago. I had never had something like that before.

Penne with Orange Cream Sauce

I let the penne cook while I chopped up orange, red, and green bell peppers, onions and garlic, and cooked them in oil in butter for about 5-6 minutes. I drained the pasta and set it aside. Then, I took about 3/4 cups of orange juice (no pulp!) and simmered it with the peppers and onions for about 2-3 minutes. I took about 1 cup of cream and mixed it in and let that cook/simmer on low for 10 minutes or so, adding a few spices like paprika and cayenne to make it a bit spicier (just a pinch or two). I took the penne and mixed it in with the sauce and peppers/onions and thoroughly mixed it over the heat until everything was well covered. I served it with tomatoes on top.

Attachments

• Photo 88.jpg
    Photo 88.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 86

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
italian chicken pasta

pastaaa2ce.jpg

1 small Onion, sliced into 1/2" sections*
1 Zucchini, sliced into 1/2" sections*
1 Pepper, diced into 1" cubes
1 1/2 pounds cooked Rotisserie Chicken cut into 1" slices (like the ones found at wal-mart or your local market)
1 pound Roma tomatoes, cut into 1" slices
2 cups Pasta
2 cups Spinach, uncooked

Cut the onion, zucchini and peppers into a oiled pan cooked on medium high and cook for 5 minutes or until the zucchini has softened.

Cut the cooked chicken into inch long (or smaller) wedges to add to the vegetable mix into the pan. Mix for about 3-5 minutes or until fairly cooked. Add sliced tomatoes and cook for 5 more minutes.

Meanwhile, cook the pasta based on the box instructions. Plate the spinach to go under the pasta and vegetable mix. Serve hot. Six servings.

* i like to half my slices, not required.

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
here's another recipe i have...it still needs some tweaking, but this is the basic jist of the thing.

chicken noodle soup

soupecede.jpg

5 cups Water
3/4 cup Peppers, cut into 1" cubes
3/4 cup Onions, sliced
1 pound Boneless chicken breast, cut into 1" cubes
1 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon Oil
1 teaspoon Lemon juice
2 ribs Celery, chopped into 1/2" strips
1/2 cup Cucumbers, chopped into 1/4" slices, wedges halved
4 cups Chicken broth
3 cups Pasta

Boil peppers and onion in 2 cups water in a microwave on high for 3 1/2 minutes. Let cook in pot for 15 minutes afterward.

Marinate chicken breasts in balsamic vinegar, worcestershire sauce, oil and lemon juice for at least 1 hour in refrigerator. Transfer chicken with mixture to a medium high skillet and cook for 5 minutes. If not already cubed, cut the chicken into 1" cubes and transfer back into the skillet. Add celery and cucumbers and cook for about 5 more minutes. Add vegetable and water mixture to skillet, adding another cup of water and cook until boil. Add spices if desired.

In a saucepan, boil 2 cups of chicken broth and 2 cups of water on high, then add the pasta on medium heat, cooking according to the package directions. Add the remaining 2 cups of the chicken broth to the cooked pasta.

Combine contents of both saucepans into the larger pan and serve to bowls after 5 minutes of cooling. Serves 6-8.

contoursvt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
Didnt really follow any recipe but I was craving stuff so here goes.

Had steak with pieces of squash, some mushrooms and broccoli.

The broccoli I steamed in one of those flower shaped things that look like a strainer... I might have steamed them too long. I think it was steamed for about 10 minutes.

The squash was an acorn kind. I cut it in half and cleaned the seeds out. Then I diced it into smaller bits and put it in a toaster oven pan and very lightly misted it with Pam (although next time I'll try brushing it with olive oil). I then sprinkled a bit of cinnamon and a bit of sugar - very little. I put that in the toaster oven at 350F until the edges were starting to turn a bit dark. I poked it with a fork and it was tender so I took them out. The mushrooms just got tossed into the toaster oven but only for about 5-7 minutes because they get done faster.

The steak (which had some olive oil, black pepper and kosher salt rubbed into it) was done in a cast iron pan. Nothing I have in my kitchen I love more than that pan :) Anyway I preheated the pan on medium on my stove for about 10 minutes. I seared the steak on each side for 1 minute then the steak went into a preheated oven which was at 450F for 2 1/2 minutes a side. Once done I removed it and let it sit in a plate covered lightly in foil for a couple mins. Once that was happening I took a bit of butter and a bit of red wine and added it to the pan and swished it around until it was bubbling for a bit and thickened. I added that back onto the steak. I know charred bits are bad but I rarely have steak. Maybe once a month or even a bit less.

Anyway I'm still learning but this is all lots of fun. One day I'll get things right. The steak came out medium. Next time I'll try medium rare and see what I think of the taste. By the way, that habanero came off one of my plants I planted indoor and my god it was a scorcher.

steak.jpg

contoursvt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
Really thats all it really takes? I'll try that. I was going to back off next time by 2 mins and see but I'll try cutting the time in half to 5 mins. Thanks for the tip by the way :)

yeah, you steamed your broccoli too long. Try about 4-5 minutes.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
pfft.. real chefs don't need recipies

anyways, i'd post something but i'm at college right now and the only thing i can cook here is easy mac. :p

davidwarren

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Really thats all it really takes? I'll try that. I was going to back off next time by 2 mins and see but I'll try cutting the time in half to 5 mins. Thanks for the tip by the way :)

well, you could eat it raw. It really is just about what texture you are going after. 4-5 minutes will get it to where I assume you want it, but still be green, once it turns that brown-green color, it is way over cooked and it was probably a bit rubbery.

--edit-- besides that, that plate looks really good!!

contoursvt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
Thanks :) The food did turn out pretty good. I was trying to be as healthy as possible while still enjoying the steak. As far as the broccoli. It wasnt really rubbery but it was a bit softer than I wanted. I guess it was kind of limp.I would have prefer a bit more firm.

I've named my pepper plant Satan. LOL. I learned that Habanero > Me.

well, you could eat it raw. It really is just about what texture you are going after. 4-5 minutes will get it to where I assume you want it, but still be green, once it turns that brown-green color, it is way over cooked and it was probably a bit rubbery.

--edit-- besides that, that plate looks really good!!

Reaver

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
pfft.. real chefs don't need recipies

this is true I have a 3-ring binder at home for when I use to work as a chef in college and I rarely use it and I can pretty much still make anything out of it from scratch.

I use to get requests from a couple friends of mine if they had dates coming over or something they would ask me to cook dinner for them before hand and then bolt out before there guest arrived so it looked like they made it :) or just cook something and bring it over for them.

BTW : I will be making some Gumbo and chili this week (both from scratch) and I will try to take picks and post the recipe on here.

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
i tried a recipe for a soup i had in my head. i just sort of thought about it and it actually came out good. But, its spicy kinda like a thai tom yum soup so ppl who don't handle spice too well, here's ur warning.
anyways here goes.

Celery
bell pepper
mushrooms
sri racha sauce(spicy asian hot sauce type thing, get if if u can get it.)
soy sauce
salt and pepper to taste
2 green chiles i don't know exactly what kind they are. ask any indian who cooks.
chicken broth
pasta
basil
parsley
hope u like it oh and i did add some water to the broth too cook the pasta.
one last thing. plz don't claim this recipe as ur own:)
I also stir fried the veggies on high heat for a bit before dropping into the soup.
i would've taken pics but i finished the soup.

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
Thread resurrection..

Crusty bread loaf
Great cheese, cheddar, swiss, whatever you prefer that you can stand melted
Cut the bread, two slices, cut side down add it to a pan with extra virgin olive oil, enough to coat.

Cook till the face is rough a bit and nicely golden brown. Take a raw garlic clove and grate over the surface of the recently cooked bread. Just enough to cover a bit.

Layer bread, cheese and fresh basil leaves, top with bread. Cook like a regular grilled cheese, with a bit of olive oil in pan to coat each side, add a weight if the height of the bread is troubling you.

After it's sufficiently cooked, melted, set on counter and take top of bread off and add freshly sliced tomato, top with bread, eat.

TheOnlyJon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Indianapolis
That's because it's still mooing!
:D

As it should...that's the only way beef should be eaten :)

Although I must admit I prefer my burgers around medium...just because around the rare-medium rare temperature ( < 120ºF) the burger begins to fall apart :eek:

When money permits for a treat, I like buying a couple of filet mignons.

1. Put a heavy, cast iron pan into the oven at 500ºF. Let the pan get up to temperature.
2. Take filets out of the fridge and let sit to get to room temperature.
3. Pat the filets with a paper towel until the surface is dry and there is no moisture. This ensures a nice sear.
4. Season filets with some kosher salt and pepper. This is all you'll need as far as seasonings go.
5. Remove the pan from the oven and immediately place over high heat on the stove. Keep the oven on.
6. Place the filets into the dry pan for 30 seconds on each side (time depends on thickness of filets). If the filets are ≥ 1" thick, do a quick sear on the sides.
7. Once the filets have been flipped, stir in about 1/2 cup of your favorite red wine (remember, don't cook with something you wouldn't drink yourself!), about 2 tsp. brown sugar, and half of a roughly chopped white onion.
8. Put the pan back into the 500ºF oven for about 3-4 minutes, turning once halfway through to absorb the juices.
9. Remove the pan from the oven and place the filets on a plate (or a grated drying rack to elevate it out of its juices) and let them rest for 5 minutes. The filet should now be medium rare. This will allow the juices to redistribute into the meat.
10. In the meantime, put the pan back onto low heat to reduce the wine/onion/brown sugar sauce futher, and to finish cooking the onions if they aren't already.
11. Serve with asparagus or fresh green beans cooked in the remaining juices from the pan and a hearty baked potato.
12. ENJOY!

I would post pictures, but money at this time is not permitting buying any filet mignons haha. Besides, cooking in a dormitory is difficult. This method of cooking steak is pretty much fool-proof for almost any cut. Make sure to adjust cooking times depending on the thickness of the cut.

denver133

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2009
Denver, CO
Here is my favorite dish. Fresh halibut with just a little salt, pepper and fresh lemon juice. To go with that, some sauteed green beans and a little wild rice.

5694_531766005223_72203397_31581830.jpg

This is a really good mozzarella stuffed tortellini that I make with a little alfredo sauce. Top it off with steamed broccoli or asparagus.

5414_532781175813_72203397_31641458.jpg

macbook yes

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
Yummy french toast with stuff stuffed inside
3864744877_93d893de22.jpg

1 (1 pound) loaf French bread
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter

1. Slice the French bread on a slant, giving each side of the slice a nice surface area. Slice the brick of cream cheese into 1/2 inch thick slices. Make a slit in each slice of French bread through the crust to form a pocket. Place a slice of cream cheese in each pocket; set aside.
2. In a small bowl, beat together eggs and cinnamon
3. Melt butter in a griddle or frying pan over medium-low heat. Briefly dip the bread slices in the egg mixture and place on the griddle. Brown on both sides.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
I like my food well done, i cant understand how you could it raw meat? so you cant get sick from that 100%? is the texture like jelly?
i hope no one eats raw chicken or pork =/

bartelby i almost puked when i saw that sorry lol

TheOnlyJon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Indianapolis
I like my food well done, i cant understand how you could it raw meat? so you cant get sick from that 100%? is the texture like jelly?
i hope no one eats raw chicken or pork =/

bartelby i almost puked when i saw that sorry lol

There's always a risk in consuming undercooked meat, especially with chicken and pork. These should ALWAYS be cooked through. That's not to say, however, that you have to cook them so long that they're dry...in fact, when I grill chicken I aim to take it off just after it is cooked all the way through. This ensures a really moist chicken breast.

When comparing to well-done meat, the texture of rare to medium rare meat is much less chewy and less effort must be put into chewing to break apart the meat. This is why people sometimes say that steaks "melt in their mouths." Typically, medium rare beef will preserve much of the flavor of the meat along with the juices lent from the marinade or rub. Well-done meat has a tendency to lose a great deal of liquid during the thorough cooking process - these juices are preserved in rare, medium rare, and medium temperatures.

Long-winded answer. Sorry :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.