Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shaneuk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2010
2qwoume.jpg

Mines very basic at the moment, I've only just installed it on an old laptop.

Ubuntu 10.10

Post yours and try to give information on any plugins, themes and whatnot so the thread doesn't get cluttered.

Cyberheart

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2011
Cyberspace
2qwoume.jpg

Mines very basic at the moment, I've only just installed it on an old laptop.

Ubuntu 10.10

Post yours and try to give information on any plugins, themes and whatnot so the thread doesn't get cluttered.

still learning ubuntu i heard you can do anything with it

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Screen%20shot%202011-03-17%20at%2012.47.44%20PM.png

Mine's a headless server >.> <.<

Great for serving media, backups, minecraft server, and transmission box.

About 4.3TB

santaji

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2008
Mumbai, India
10.10 Customized to be like 11.04.
screenshotyt.png

The gnome panel on the left with dockbarX doesn't look as good as the actual Unity launcher but i like having a dock on the left.

eahlberg

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2009
i switched to ubuntu from mac and love it

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    865.2 KB · Views: 610

santaji

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2008
Mumbai, India
i switched to ubuntu from mac and love it

Why did you switch? Which version of OS X were you running before? I'm very curious why anyone would do this?

I also went from OS X to Ubuntu, But only because my Mac died, And i started using a old HP laptop that i had. I will probably be getting a Mac again soon.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Why did you switch? Which version of OS X were you running before? I'm very curious why anyone would do this?

I also went from OS X to Ubuntu, But only because my Mac died, And i started using a old HP laptop that i had. I will probably be getting a Mac again soon.

most ppl with older G5/G4 boxen switch to Ubuntu or something else.

SuperJudge

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2008
The Triangle, NC
Is Linux a full POSIX system - following standards or ?

Not fully POSIX compliant, like AIX, Solaris or Mac OS X post-Leopard, but certainly close enough for government work. I mean, it's not like someone's going to pay to get any one Linux distro IEEE/SUS certified. That process is ludicrously expensive.

Charlie Sheen

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2011
Mars
ubuntu desktop

so here's mine i use the gray theme to make it look as simplistic as possible. i don't like those colorful panels you see on vista and co. Bildschirmfoto.png

Zaap

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Only Ubuntu? :(

screenshot20110319at100.png

Running Mandriva on my DIY NAZ box, serving up tons of files, backups, and a Subsonic server.

Headless. VNC login. Kept a GUI around simply because it takes me 1/10th the time to make any change or do anything directly on the server- though I use the occasional SSH, and I use webmin.

eahlberg

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2009
Link to wallpaper please? :rolleyes:

I had to get a windows laptop for work, but I don't like windows very much since I am a mac guy. So i dual boot ubuntu and windows 7. Ubuntu allows you to customize quite a bit and you can get the feel of osx on it.

Attachments

• NATURE-SunsetBlissII_1600x1200.jpg
    NATURE-SunsetBlissII_1600x1200.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 329

Charlie Sheen

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2011
Mars
I had to get a windows laptop for work, but I don't like windows very much since I am a mac guy. So i dual boot ubuntu and windows 7. Ubuntu allows you to customize quite a bit and you can get the feel of osx on it.

Oh. Why on earth are companies so fanatic about windows.

SuperJudge

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2008
The Triangle, NC
Oh. Why on earth are companies so fanatic about windows.

One word: software. Most important business software only runs on Windows. Pointy-haired bosses like paying for software because that gives them someone outside of the company to blame with things go wrong with the computers so that they catch less heat.

Charlie Sheen

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2011
Mars
One word: software. Most important business software only runs on Windows. Pointy-haired bosses like paying for software because that gives them someone outside of the company to blame with things go wrong with the computers so that they catch less heat.

good point but it would be wise to use unix due to security issues. if they used unix they wouldn't discover any problems

Avro

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2008
Belgium
Here's mine. I really like Ubuntu. Click to enlarge.

Attachments

• by default 2011-03-22 at 16.02.01.jpg
    by default 2011-03-22 at 16.02.01.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 384
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.