Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
Did you manage to wangle a better deal out of 02 UK? Not paying the exorbitant price of their tariff? Did you get any add-ons for free?

If so, post your tariff deal here and help out those that call 02 and get fobbed off with the classic line: "this is the best I can offer you..."!

(Try and keep non-tariff discussion to a minimum!)

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
Nobody is going to get a better deal for a while. There's way too much demand.. plus it's an exclusive contract - where else are you going to go?

badgerman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
Is this likely considering the demand?

Did anyone get any deals on the old iphone tariffs?

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
Is this likely considering the demand?

Did anyone get any deals on the old iphone tariffs?

I don't think so, but the subsidy model is completely different.

Unless 02 give me a better deal (customer for over four years), I'll just get a different snazzy phone and probably sell it.

razorianfly

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom
I managed to convince my friend to give me his EIN (Employee Identification Number), who works at O2.

This allows me to get 30% off O2's original £35 iPhone line rental.

£35/month is reduced to 24.50/month

If anyone else knows someone at O2, and wants to do this,
all you need to do is quote the employee' EIN, and his/her full name.

This is then applied to your contract,
and you receive discount, immediately.

Happy Days. :D

R-Fly

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
Unless 02 give me a better deal (customer for over four years), I'll just get a different snazzy phone and probably sell it.

Length of service is irrelevant. They only look at revenue - if you make 10,000 minutes of calls a month and threaten to leave they'll bend over backwards to keep you. If you use 100 minutes a month it doesn't matter how long you've been a customer they'll just wave goodbye.

If all you're saying is "Give me a cheap iphone or I'll buy another phone" they'll just laugh...

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
Length of service is irrelevant. They only look at revenue - if you make 10,000 minutes of calls a month and threaten to leave they'll bend over backwards to keep you. If you use 100 minutes a month it doesn't matter how long you've been a customer they'll just wave goodbye.

If all you're saying is "Give me a cheap iphone or I'll buy another phone" they'll just laugh...

This is what I've done in the past and I've got whatever phone I've asked for.

I'll ask for the iPhone on a cheaper tariff, if they say no, I'll get an N95 and sell it. Quids in!

Win - win situation!

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
This is what I've done in the past and I've got whatever phone I've asked for.

I'll ask for the iPhone on a cheaper tariff, if they say no, I'll get an N95 and sell it. Quids in!

Win - win situation!

For O2 maybe.. if you get the N95 you're locked into a contract on that and can't get an iphone for 12-18 months (or until they do the PayG at least).

Best case for you is you have an N95 until December and then get a PayG phone so you end up paying for the phone anyway and still pay the contract charges..

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
For O2 maybe.. if you get the N95 you're locked into a contract on that and can't get an iphone for 12-18 months (or until they do the PayG at least).

Best case for you is you have an N95 until December and then get a PayG phone so you end up paying for the phone anyway and still pay the contract charges..

Confused...

I have a contract now, quite cheap. 500 mins and 500 texts for £17.50 a month. If I upgrade, I *should* be able to wangle any phone. I have a K750i which is perfectly fine. Sell the upgrade, make some cash. Or, try and wangle the iPhone, which may or may not work!

This thread was to try and help people like me who aren't sure what the process of trying to wangle an iPhone is. I don't want to pay £35 for the contract I'm on now.

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
If you upgrade (which you can only do if you're outside your minimum contract period), you start a new contract on the new phone. That locks you in so O2 get their money anyway.

You're not getting anything for free - you're going to end up paying it either in upfront cost or in your contract.

At 17.50/mo you're not a high user so the chances of getting something like an iphone cheap (or even an N95 TBH) are about nil. They'd simply never make their money back at that rate.

There is no 'process of trying to wangle an iphone' - Someone on a high end contract using lots of minutes may have some leverage, usually by going through retentions.. but even then it's entirely down to who they speak to at O2.

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
There is no 'process of trying to wangle an iphone' - Someone on a high end contract using lots of minutes may have some leverage, usually by going through retentions.. but even then it's entirely down to who they speak to at O2.

No process to wangle...that's weird. That's what I've done for the last three years. I've wangled whatever phone I wanted!

It may be different with the iPhone, that's what I'm trying to establish.

My advice to people is: wangle. Don't just take a rep's advice, push, push, push.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
When I eventually manage to upgrade I will be selecting the £30 per month option.

beast

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2007
UK
Confused...

I have a contract now, quite cheap. 500 mins and 500 texts for £17.50 a month. If I upgrade, I *should* be able to wangle any phone. I have a K750i which is perfectly fine. Sell the upgrade, make some cash. Or, try and wangle the iPhone, which may or may not work!

This thread was to try and help people like me who aren't sure what the process of trying to wangle an iPhone is. I don't want to pay £35 for the contract I'm on now.

with the current iPhone 3G demand, there is zero chance of you getting an iPhone for less than the basic £30 per month, 18 month contract..... also, if you are not outside of your current minimum term contract, o2 will charge you for breaking that contract.

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
with the current iPhone 3G demand, there is zero chance of you getting an iPhone for less than the basic £30 per month, 18 month contract..... also, if you are not outside of your current minimum term contract, o2 will charge you for breaking that contract.

Sounds like a challenge to me! ;)

If that's the case, I ain't getting an iPhone. I'm not paying that much money, simple as that.

However, I think you're wrong. Someone, somewhere will wangle and get a cheap deal...

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Here is an image which I made to illustrate the price of each phone:

2582155302_f84afa6c28_o.png

As you can see, going with the £45/month option will not save you money in the long run unless you do what I have labelled there as the "switch" and move to the lower £35/month plan after 9 months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.