Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
I work in health care and just realized a handy use of split screen for me. Regularly, I have to take some online courses for my professional license, so it will be much easier for me to go split screen and have the test questions on open on one side, while having the PDF of the article open on the other. I constantly have to switch back and forth now, using my iPad.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Jotting down notes from a website.
Putting info into a spreadsheet from an email.

The biggest benefit for me will be that I won't be disorientated when copying & pasting things from apps, or jotting down in notes. It's easy to lose your place & train of thought then switching back-and-forth between apps.

originalmagneto

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2015
Slovakia
I can't wait for the devs to update their apps to support this feature...could be especially handy with apps like GoodNotes and Paper, where I could use my bluetooth connected styluses, writing down notes and outlining and at the same time watching a video, reading any content etc...

Reactions: miamialley

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I can't wait for the devs to update their apps to support this feature...could be especially handy with apps like GoodNotes and Paper, where I could use my bluetooth connected styluses, writing down notes and outlining and at the same time watching a video, reading any content etc...
Have you tried enabling PIP and split view altogether? This should be really cool. :)

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Messages open in the small pane with Safari or whatever in the big one is the main use case for me.

lionsy

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2010
I'm going to be really boring and just say the obvious, because it's probably what I'll be doing, Netflix and chrome/safari, browse while I watch stuff.

The options are limitless though, I guess, I just don't have much faith in developers updating their apps to use it! :p

Reactions: XTheLancerX

syndalis

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
So a use case I had.

I loaded up a website that had a live youtube streaming video embedded on it. I clicked that, clicked pip, and put it in the bottom right corner of the screen.

I then opened a new tab and started browsing the web.

I then dragged the multitasking panel out, opened it to messages and move the PiP to the top right.

This kept the pip completely out of my web browser space, and not blocking the most resent messages coming in.

So it is actually possible to have three things going at once right now.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Will my iPad 4 be able to do anything with the split screen stuff at all? I'm still on 7.1.2. Maybe I should just leave it there!

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Will my iPad 4 be able to do anything with the split screen stuff at all? I'm still on 7.1.2. Maybe I should just leave it there!
No. These are the following multitasking features, and what devices they support.

Slide Over (pull an overlay of a different app from the right side, stops what you are doing and darkens it in the background):
iPad Air
iPad Air 2
iPad mini 2
iPad mini 3

PiP (picture in picture, pops out a video when you exit an app so it continues to play in an adjustable mini player):

iPad Air
iPad Air 2
iPad mini 2
iPad mini 3

Split View (two apps in real time running side by side):
iPad Air 2

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
No. These are the following multitasking features, and what devices they support.

Slide Over (pull an overlay of a different app from the right side, stops what you are doing and darkens it in the background):
iPad Air
iPad Air 2
iPad mini 2
iPad mini 3

PiP (picture in picture, pops out a video when you exit an app so it continues to play in an adjustable mini player):

iPad Air
iPad Air 2
iPad mini 2
iPad mini 3

Split View (two apps in real time running side by side):
iPad Air 2
Bummer. So basically ipad4 owners don't get much of anything. I would think the hardware is powerful enough to support at least the slide over and even the picture in picture. I think it's actually possible already if I jailbroke. Might have to go that route!

Reactions: !!!

AndyK

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2008
Terra
I'll find it pretty useful for replying to email with a document reference on the other half. Picked up an Air 2 a couple of months ago to use as a second screen while traveling. Should be a nice tool on the road.

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
Bummer. So basically ipad4 owners don't get much of anything. I would think the hardware is powerful enough to support at least the slide over and even the picture in picture. I think it's actually possible already if I jailbroke. Might have to go that route!
Im guessing that a Jailbreak tweak can enable this once iOS 9 is out.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Without third party apps I have been using it a lot with Safari.
10NekqI.png

zePFVsh.png

Reactions: PowerBook-G5

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I don't suppose you can have two Safari windows open side by side can you? You'd have to get another web browser app.

Reactions: miamialley

lionsy

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2010
I don't suppose you can have two Safari windows open side by side can you? You'd have to get another web browser app.

You can't use two Safari windows at the same time, at the moment. I guess if Chrome updates it'll work!

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
I just realized I hardly ever have two windows side by side on OS X, why would I do it on an iPad? There are occasions of course, and having that option is definitely a plus.

DoctorFedora

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
Interestingly, I've noticed that, at least for Safari, the "main" app continues to run on at least some level when it's dimmed on an iPad Mini 2. Like, pages will load in the "background." Presumably a large part of the restriction is simply that keeping two apps in an interactable state simultaneously is more than the iPad Mini 2 can handle without unacceptable performance hits.

Jason Cox

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2012
Dallas, TX
For me the biggest use case is going to be balancing my checkbook. Being able to have my bank's app open in one window and the app that I built to mange my finances in the other is going to save a ton of double taps on my home button.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.