Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bdb23

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014
There are a high number of people that did what you mentioned and still aren't getting the phone delivered on Friday the 19th. They're going to wait in line for the chance of still getting the phone.

fair point, but there are a high number of people that will be in these lines in these photos that also won't be getting a phone on the 19th... works both ways.

erikjc

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2012
New York, NY
I don't get it. Why camp for a whole day when simply setting the alarm for 12am last Friday to preorder guaranteed you a phone day one.

Well in my case, I wasn't up for an upgrade until October, but then Verizon gave everyone early upgrades and the preorders were all gone :eek:

Also it was 3 am on the East Coast, plus glitches in the system. Not fun.

bigjim83

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2011
I'm working but honestly if I could pop a tent I wouldn't mind. It's like urban camping!!

Rockies

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2011
Nothing better than sitting in line with the person next to you taking a massive dump in there pants because they don't want to lose there spot in line.:D

aham23

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
That's where I'm at. I'll report at 6 how long the line is at Main Place.

as of noon yesterday not a one and in fact there were more employees inside than customers. first time i have ever seen that for this store. good luck.

Q Bert

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
Chicago Burbs
I was at Main Place for the iPad 3 launch. Went there about 1pm and I was like 170th. That was the time that the release was slated for 5pm. It was fun. Met a lot of people and I was even included in a picture for a local newspaper coverage, the Naperville Sun

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Planning on going there for a iPhone 6, will probably get there after midnight. I know there's always a line starting the night before, but I hope it won't be too packed.

cmhsam

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
nope, only people without families or jobs venture outside of their home for extended periods of time to purchase $700+ cell phones to call nobody.

Funny that I have both a family and very well paying job but decided to take the day off to enjoy the excitement. For me it's not about the device but the experience. Call me a fanboy or whatever but I have a preorder and am still going to be there early. Not because I need to but because I want to enjoy the entire launch experience.

Applefiend87

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
I will be in line later this evening in hopes of getting my T-Mobile iphone 6 plus in any color and capacity (64 preferred)

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
I don't get it. Why camp for a whole day when simply setting the alarm for 12am last Friday to preorder guaranteed you a phone day one.

I did that. Waited two and a half hours for the servers to let me through. Mine ships Oct 1-6. Not awful, but hardly day one. I just want to see if I have better luck here.

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005

I tried just that, but the site was experiencing issues and I couldn't order one. Later found out that the site was taking orders around 2am, after I fell asleep.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010

Because it didn't guarantee anything. Especially for people that wanted pluses.

And it wasn't even possible for those of us that are doing cross upgrades.

----------

Don't these people have families? Jobs?

Both. It's no different than any other activity that takes more than a few hours.

And ask yourself this: you really think a bunch of homeless folks can afford brand new iPhones?

kovey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
Don't these people have families? Jobs?

Yes, but not the kind of family or job that you'd want.

----------

Because it didn't guarantee anything. Especially for people that wanted pluses.

And it wasn't even possible for those of us that are doing cross upgrades.

----------

Both. It's no different than any other activity that takes more than a few hours.

This is a bizarre/funny statement. It's no different than sleeping, by that logic. It's no different than a day trip with your family........ eeeeeeeeeexcept without your family.
:rolleyes:

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Yes, but not the kind of family or job that you'd want.

----------

This is a bizarre/funny statement. It's no different than sleeping, by that logic. It's no different than a day trip with your family........ eeeeeeeeeexcept without your family.
:rolleyes:

The antipathy leveled against people that choose to wait in line for something they want is fascinating.

You know nothing of my family. Based on your comments here, I doubt you'd fit in.

As for my career that no one would want, I have the flexibility to work almost universally from home, spend an amazing amount of time with my family, dogs, etc, and command a base salary that puts me in the top 1.5% of money earners in the US. If you add bonuses and stock awards, that number gets quite a bit more rarified.

I know not everyone would want a career like that, granted. But it's certainly not too shabby.

Saturday night, I'm driving a couple of hours to a nearby city, staying in a hotel, and getting up at 5am so I can run a mountain trail half marathon with several hundred other people. Honestly, that's not much different than what I'm doing now: spending an extended period of time involved in an activity that yields a result I'm searching for.

sobucky

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Walked by Soho Apple store in NYC, the line is half a block long already, mostly all asian scalpers...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.