Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macalla

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2014
Just got my 3rd monitor to finish my nVidia surround rig last night and took a pic of it. The immersion is really something to you have to experience yourself sitting in front of these displays.

image_zps38393062.jpg

image_zps3ba0829b-1.jpg

Dowjohnny

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Germany
Just got my 3rd monitor to finish my nVidia surround rig last night and took a pic of it. The immersion is really something to you have to experience yourself sitting in front of these displays.

DAMN :cool:

I hope you have a little power plant or sth like that :D

GrumpyGeek

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2013
Canada eh?
Post Your Windows Setup: Past & Present!

Hey, would you beable to explain what hardware you have and what everything does?

macalla

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2014
Hey, would you beable to explain what hardware you have and what everything does?

Certainly.

Starting from the bottom left corner.
This is my network firewall with 2 NICs, in a Thermaltake Xaser II case. Pentium 4 HT 3.4GHz and 2GB RAM. Maybe 80GB HDD. GeForce4 Ti 4600.
IMG_0485_zps0c089ada.jpg

Then up on the table.
IMG_0488_zpsfe344ea5.jpg

Current Intel Iris graphics MacMini 2.6GHz, 16GB, 1TB HDD - as my iTunes music /movie server and FaceTiming.
Underneath is a NewerTech MiniStack with 2TB HDD for Time Machine backups.
Both share the Sansui 32" TV.
Next to it is a Sound BlasterAxx SBX20 active speaker and microphone (microphone on the microsoft lifecam is terrible and macmini speakers are awful), and a Lacie 2Big NAS with 2 1TB drives in Raid 1, mirrored, as my network file server.

Gaming/Work/Video Editing and general use-PC. Corsair Carbide Air 540 ATX. Water cooled AMD FX6350 CPU, 16GB, 2x128 SSD, 2x nVidia GTX660 SLi, and 3x1080p displays for nVidia surround.
IMG_0487_zpsde85acd0.jpg

3D Surround desktop displays
Logitech G13 Game pad, Logitech 5.1 speakers, Gateway 1080p displays, microsoft wired Sidewinder X4 gaming keyboard and mouse and MS Intellimouse Explorer Bluetooth mouse.
image_zps3ba0829b-1.jpg

Ethernet backbone
Various UPS battery backups, 16 port 100BT swith, 8 port Gigabit switch, Apple basestation/router, cable modem.
IMG_0486_zps40c35436.jpg

Linux Box in a Thermaltake Level 10 case.
For web browsing and any web-based financial transactions which I need more security than Windows can provide. Video transcoding.
Water cooled AMD FX8350, nVidia 9800GTX+, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD + 500GB HDD.
IMG_0489_zpsdacffa4f.jpg

Connected to two IBM thinkvision 17" LCD.
IMG_0491_zps07e715db.jpg

I've wall mounted all my displays to save on desktop space.
How's that for an explanation?

Last edited:

macalla

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2014
That is a sick setup! Congrats! Like i said before, i hope you have a personal power plant for all that stuff :D

What do you do for a living? I assume your setup is kind of work related?

Oh thanks. No I don't have a powerstation next to the house. :)

I'm a aerospace engineer in Quality Control. No, the setup is for fun, but I sometimes have to do work on it (5% of the time).

GrumpyGeek

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2013
Canada eh?
Certainly.

Starting from the bottom left corner.
This is my network firewall with 2 NICs, in a Thermaltake Xaser II case. Pentium 4 HT 3.4GHz and 2GB RAM. Maybe 80GB HDD. GeForce4 Ti 4600.

Then up on the table.
Current Intel Iris graphics MacMini 2.6GHz, 16GB, 1TB HDD - as my iTunes music /movie server and FaceTiming.
Underneath is a NewerTech MiniStack with 2TB HDD for Time Machine backups.
Both share the Sansui 32" TV.
Next to it is a Sound BlasterAxx SBX20 active speaker and microphone (microphone on the microsoft lifecam is terrible and macmini speakers are awful), and a Lacie 2Big NAS with 2 1TB drives in Raid 1, mirrored, as my network file server.

Gaming/Work/Video Editing and general use-PC. Corsair Carbide Air 540 ATX. Water cooled AMD FX6350 CPU, 16GB, 2x128 SSD, 2x nVidia GTX660 SLi, and 3x1080p displays for nVidia surround.

3D Surround desktop displays
Logitech G13 Game pad, Logitech 5.1 speakers, Gateway 1080p displays, microsoft wired Sidewinder X4 gaming keyboard and mouse and MS Intellimouse Explorer Bluetooth mouse.

Ethernet backbone
Various UPS battery backups, 16 port 10BT swith, 8 port Gigabit switch, Apple basestation/router, cable modem.

Linux Box in a Thermaltake Level 10 case.
For web browsing and any web-based financial transactions which I need more security than Windows can provide. Video transcoding.
Water cooled AMD FX8350, nVidia 9800GTX+, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD + 500GB HDD.

Connected to two IBM thinkvision 17" LCD.

I've wall mounted all my displays to save on desktop space.
How's that for an explanation?

That was great. Your setup is awesome. Thanks for taking the time to explain it. How do you like the nvidia 3 screen setup? Also where did u get the mounts for the monitors? and how do you like the 540 air?

macalla

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2014
That was great. Your setup is awesome. Thanks for taking the time to explain it. How do you like the nvidia 3 screen setup? Also where did u get the mounts for the monitors? and how do you like the 540 air?

You're welcome. The 3 screen nVidia surround is really nice if the game can utilize it. I've played X3:Reunion and it is really immersive. Like virtual reality, without the goggles.
The monitor mounts are from amazon.com. Since I needed quite a bit of adjustments, I picked one design with 3 articulation points. They were relatively inexpensive.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ID7QNI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The 540 air is nice because it fits perfectly on the table and under the shelf above. There is plenty of room inside and cable management is easy. Because the powersupply sits basically next to the motherboard, on the other side, all the standard cables are long enough. Unlike the Level 10 case.

BTW, if you're interested in seeing how this room looked a few years back, you can check this site out. They asked me to write an article (Q&A style).
http://setupsandspaces.com/post/2960370963/melvin-chua

Last edited:

wetcanvas

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2014
It's a great mouse! Its successor also looks great, the MX Master.

Its a sexy mouse but both the MX master and the original logitech mx are huge mice. They both feel way to huge in the hand for me.

I had an original logitech anywhere mouse and at first I had a lot of issues with it skipping across the screen and jumping. One day I got mad and threw it in the trash. Couple years later I thought I would try one again and bought another. This one seems to be working fine and is a good size in the hand. I really like it and its working great on a glass surface.

Fez Vrasta

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2015
Its a sexy mouse but both the MX master and the original logitech mx are huge mice. They both feel way to huge in the hand for me.

I had an original logitech anywhere mouse and at first I had a lot of issues with it skipping across the screen and jumping. One day I got mad and threw it in the trash. Couple years later I thought I would try one again and bought another. This one seems to be working fine and is a good size in the hand. I really like it and its working great on a glass surface.

The size is one of the reasons of why I use it. It sustain the entire hand and is useful if you use it all the day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.