Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ccard3dev

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2013
Michigan, US
Ever since Apple announced WWDC 2014 today, wish lists have been popping up all over the internet. The purpose of this thread is to give everyone a place to post their WWDC 2014 wish list. So, I will start with mine:

OS X 10.10 Wish list
iOS 7-inspired design
More multi-touch gestures system-wide
New Finder app with easier navigation and the ability to flag files or mark as favorite
Improved iBooks app with metadata management (like iTunes)
Improved Mail app, with easier navigation, "Guest Mode", and swipe-to-refresh
Online and offline Siri
Split-up iTunes app into four separate apps: Music, Videos, TV Shows, and iTunes Store
Photos app, with iPhoto syncing
Control Center & Notification Center combined
iCloud Backup support
iCloud User Accounts, to share a user between more than one Mac
Ability to use more than one iCloud account with iWork

iOS 8 Wish list
Improved design and icons from iOS 7 (especially Game Center)
HealthBook app
Tips app, to help new users learn how to use iOS
More gestures for quick navigation
New Mission Control, toggled by swiping up from the bottom of the screen
Improved Mail app, with Guest Mode
Combined Mission Control and Control Center
Move Notification Center to first home screen page
Move Spotlight to Notification Center, allow access while in apps
Customize Control Center buttons
Ability to use more than one iCloud account with iWork
Search in Settings
Night Mode, with manual and automatic settings
Customize what notifications are disabled with Do Not Disturb

iCloud Wish list
Photos, Music, Videos, TV Shows, and Messages apps
Ability to link multiple user accounts

Hardware Wish list
12" MacBook Air with Retina Display, thinner design, no fan, and MagSafe 2.1 with L-plug
Updated Mac Mini with Apple TV form factor, better processor, two Thunderbolt ports, and two HDMI ports
Updated Thunderbolt Display with thinner design, MagSafe 2.1, and USB 3.0
Updated Apple Wireless Keyboard with black backlit keys and a built-in rechargeable battery
Updated Magic Mouse and Trackpad with backlit borders and a built-in rechargeable battery

So, what do you want to see at this year's WWDC?​

Last edited:

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
OS X
What I’d like to see in 10.10:

- Updated UI: I don’t think it’ll be an huge overhaul like iOS 7, but i’d like them to go over the UI and update things to a consistent style. The Desktop System Prefs still uses the Leopard wallpaper!
I can see them using a lighter grey for Safari, Finder, Mail etc. windows (look at Safari on iPad iOS 7.)
Update the app icons in the style of iBooks/Maps. They’re still OS X icons but they don’t have the glossy look. Game Center + Notifications need an overhaul as well as others.
Messages in Mavericks looks really dated compared to it’s iOS 7 cousin. I think Calendar in Mavericks already has the new look, it’s very iOS 7.

- Siri: This is a big one, as OS X has an accessible file system, unlike iOS. I should be able to ask, “Open Mybudget in Excel” etc. Should support all Siri functions from iOS (send iMessages, look up sports, look up weather etc.), open a new document in Pages.

- Dump dashboard: It’s time, let’s get rid of Dashboard. Incorporate weather, stocks, unit convertor etc. into Siri. Also make optional weather, calendar etc. menubar items for quick viewing like Clear Day and fantastical:

Screen-Shot-2012-05-30-at-7.30.48-PM.jpg

- AirDrop that works with iOS 7: duh doy.

- Answer iPhone calls from my Mac: If i’m not near my phone, I can get almost all the same info on my Mac. Emails, GC friend requests, mail, calendar, iMessage, FaceTime etc. Except phone calls and voicemails. There’s already an app that does this on the store:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dialogue/id668273079?mt=12

Looks like it’s not very usable, but I’m sure Apple can make it work ;). I imagine the phone will have be close on bluetooth or on the same wifi network.

Thing I’d like that won’t happen:

- Add better Exchange support for Mail/Calendar: What's there already is pretty basic. MS haven’t released a new Office for over 3 years. If Apple adds a couple of features with each new OS X release it could become a better client eventually.

iOS

- I think HealthBook looks interesting. looking forward to seeing more about that.
- Running 2 apps together on iPad.
- General battery/stability improvements.

Other

- Really want to hear what's going on with this new Apple TV. Amazon really stole their thunder.
- Maybe an iWatch preview, but probably want to keep it under wraps for now.

deluxeshredder

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
I am referring to the functionality of OS X, with the design of iOS 7. Windows 8 is a disaster in both design and functionality, IMO.
I think iOS 7 is a far bigger disaster than Windows 8. Windows 8 is a better Windows 7 ruined by a half-baked overlay (and that is being fixed in recent updates), while iOS 7 is a much uglier and buggier iOS 6 with a few new gimmicks and handful APIs.

Windows 8's design language is actually very similar to iOS 7, but much better executed.

Last edited:

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
OS X 10.10 Wish list
Improved Mail app, with easier navigation, "Guest Mode", and swipe-to-refresh
Split-up iTunes app into four separate apps: Music, Videos, TV Shows, and iTunes Store
Photos app, with iPhoto syncing

- Mail guest mode? what would that do?
- ewww ewww ewww, why split itunes into multiple apps?
- Why have a photos app when iPhoto exists?

ccard3dev

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2013
Michigan, US
- Mail guest mode? what would that do?
- ewww ewww ewww, why split itunes into multiple apps?
- Why have a photos app when iPhoto exists?

Guest Mode would allow you to quickly sign in with your email account, check your email and send messages, and log out without having to set up the account with the computer. I would use this feature all the time

I would rather have separate apps for Music, Videos, Books, and Photos than having one app for all of the above. One reason would be that I don't like having to wait for my entire music library to load when I want to show one short video to a class. Besides, I think iTunes is going to be split whether we want it or not. iBooks is already a separate app. Also, it would be nice to have a "Media Center" app, almost like Front Row, but with a better design.

----------

I think iOS 7 is a far bigger disaster than Windows 8. Windows 8 is a better Windows 7 ruined by a balf-baked overlay (and that is being fixed in recent updates), while iOS 7 is a much uglier and buggier iOS 6 with a few new gimmicks and handful APIs.

Windows 8's design language is actually very similar to iOS 7, but much better executed.

"iOS 7 design is cool" and "windows 8 design is a disaster" is just my opinion. Different people have different design tastes.

----------

OS X
What I’d like to see in 10.10:

- Updated UI: I don’t think it’ll be an huge overhaul like iOS 7, but i’d like them to go over the UI and update things to a consistent style. The Desktop System Prefs still uses the Leopard wallpaper!
I can see them using a lighter grey for Safari, Finder, Mail etc. windows (look at Safari on iPad iOS 7.)
Update the app icons in the style of iBooks/Maps. They’re still OS X icons but they don’t have the glossy look. Game Center + Notifications need an overhaul as well as others.
Messages in Mavericks looks really dated compared to it’s iOS 7 cousin. I think Calendar in Mavericks already has the new look, it’s very iOS 7.

- Siri: This is a big one, as OS X has an accessible file system, unlike iOS. I should be able to ask, “Open Mybudget in Excel” etc. Should support all Siri functions from iOS (send iMessages, look up sports, look up weather etc.), open a new document in Pages.

- Dump dashboard: It’s time, let’s get rid of Dashboard. Incorporate weather, stocks, unit convertor etc. into Siri. Also make optional weather, calendar etc. menubar items for quick viewing like Clear Day and fantastical:

- AirDrop that works with iOS 7: duh doy.

- Answer iPhone calls from my Mac: If i’m not near my phone, I can get almost all the same info on my Mac. Emails, GC friend requests, mail, calendar, iMessage, FaceTime etc. Except phone calls and voicemails. There’s already an app that does this on the store:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dialogue/id668273079?mt=12

Looks like it’s not very usable, but I’m sure Apple can make it work ;). I imagine the phone will have be close on bluetooth or on the same wifi network.

Thing I’d like that won’t happen:

- Add better Exchange support for Mail/Calendar: What's there already is pretty basic. MS haven’t released a new Office for over 3 years. If Apple adds a couple of features with each new OS X release it could become a better client eventually.

iOS

- I think HealthBook looks interesting. looking forward to seeing more about that.
- Running 2 apps together on iPad.
- General battery/stability improvements.

Other

- Really want to hear what's going on with this new Apple TV. Amazon really stole their thunder.
- Maybe an iWatch preview, but probably want to keep it under wraps for now.

Great list! I second that on iOS to Mac AirDrop, I am tired of using FileDrop for iOS to Mac transfers.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I would rather have separate apps for Music, Videos, Books, and Photos than having one app for all of the above. One reason would be that I don't like having to wait for my entire music library to load when I want to show one short video to a class.

The problem with that though is that you now have 4 apps to develop and maintain on two platforms (since iTunes is on Windows too) instead of one app on two platforms. Talk about a development nightmare - unless you want iTunes for Windows to be essentially forked at the core from the Mac version

Besides, I think iTunes is going to be split whether we want it or not. iBooks is already a separate app.

Bt ebook reading was never a function of iTunes - the comparison isn’t there. iBooks was always it’s own thing - heck, until the iBooks program, you couldn’t buy books on the mac - there was an entirely different storefront.

Besides, iTunes handling of book syncing is sill the same with iBooks app as it was pre-maverics - nothing was split off.

ccard3dev

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2013
Michigan, US
xMac.

Hey, you said wish list.

That's because autocorrect changed "wishlist" to "wish list", I just fixed it by adding "wishlist" to my dictionary. Stupid autocorrect :p (Apple should change the name to "AutoMistake")

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.